Zerex G-05 or Zerex Dex-Cool for Asian cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
Recently I was looking for a coolant, as my Mazda 3 is approaching 2 years and is filled with the green stuff, I thought I should look far a replacement.
I have been reading this site for a while now (this is my first post though) and it seams that Zerex G-05 is highly regarded here.
So, I went to my local Wall-Mart and to my surprise I saw Zerex G05 and Dex-Cool. After reading the back of both coolants I noticed that they recommend the Zerex Dex-Cool for Asian car that are made after 1995 (I think), and G-05 for cars made before that date.
My questions are:
1. Is it still OK to use the G-05 in my car?
2. If not, can I use Zerex Dex-Cool (after doing a full flush) or should I stick with the green stuff (Prestone, Peak)

BTW. this site is great!!! very helpful and full of useful info.
thumbsup2.gif

the coolant in that mazda isnt generic green, its a long life variery of something. they dont really give me any info on their webpage or their parts lookup. i wouldnt see an issue with G05 as the focus uses the same engine and uses G05.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
So, I went to my local Wall-Mart and to my surprise I saw Zerex G05 and Dex-Cool. After reading the back of both coolants I noticed that they recommend the Zerex Dex-Cool for Asian car that are made after 1995 (I think), and G-05 for cars made before that date. ....

1. Is it still OK to use the G-05 in my car?

2. If not, can I use Zerex Dex-Cool (after doing a full flush) or should I stick with the green stuff (Prestone, Peak)

It is not likely the coolant in your Mazda is a conventional green. Color is basically meaningless. Different vendors color the same basic coolant as they see fit.

Ford, in general, uses G-05 and has since 2002. In the 1999-2002 range they did use an OAT in Mercury Cougars and perhaps some other models, but the results weren't as good as the G-05.

Given that G-05 can replace all three - conventional, OAT, and HOAT - and that Ford (Mazda is a Ford brand) uses G-05, I'd do a thorough flush and install G-05.

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry for not clarifying My car's specs as I didn't want the post to be too long.
Anyway, my car is 2006 Mazda 3 2.0 liter engine. The car has the regular green in it from the factory (although it is darker than the green I had in my Chevy Corsica, doesn't have that green glow, but it was like that from brand new and I read that Japanese green was darker). Mazda has a long life coolant and it is called FL-22, the manual says that if the car has that coolant it will have a sticker with FL-22 on the cap, mine doesn't have that. Also, the recommended change interval for non FL-22 equipped car is initially 5 years or 100,000km and every 2 years or 48,000km afterwards, so based on that I think it is the regular green.
Now, since it is the regular green I would like to change it this summer as the car will have a little over two years, the mileage is not there but the coolant takes a bitting in Canada as we have hot summers and cold winters, plus my commute is mostly stop-and-go traffic with A/C running in the summer.
My confusion came when I read the back of the Zerex bottle. It clearly states that G-05 should be used on Asian make cars up to 1996 (sorry, I posted 95 in my original post), and Dex-Cool afterwards. Here is the link, Its a PDF.

Zerex web site

Is it because Japanese don't allow any Silicates in their coolant and G-05 has some?
Do you guys think it's still safe to use G-05 in my car or any other Japanese one for that matter?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've got the same car, but an '08. Also with th 2.0 motor. There are guidelines in the owner's manual as far as the recommended coolant. Don't remember off hand. I'm so paranoid about this stuff that i will probably just bite the bullet and buy from the dealer when the time comes.

I think I will go with the dealer stuff as well. I just called them and they said its $15 per gallon for FL-22, which is pretty good considering that Prestone costs around that in Canadian Tire.
Thanks again for help.

BTW. The owner's manual isn't really helpful, all is states is that only ethelyne glycol coolant be used and NO SILICATES.

Last edited:
That's not much to pay for piece of mind. Of course with the way the US dollar is, maybe it's more here. Depending I guess where that stuff is made. Now if i could only figure out what that wacky M-V ATX fluid is. I think that's another trip to the dealer!

The coolant, unless labeled otherwise, is regular green. Weird, but true. The goofy trans fluid is another story. I decided to go with Amsoil ATF and put my mind at ease.

can't go wrong with the dealer coolant if in doub. Over the lifecycle, the savings due to the PM will overcome any dealership cost overages compared to the generic products.

JMH

Not too sure about that Bustednutz. Posters way more knowledgable than I say that M-V is not Mercon V. That said, posters on Mazda forums also use Mercon V with no ill effects, and I'm sure you're doing fine with it too. To each his own I guess. For me, when the time comes, I think I will be visiting the dealer, credit card in hand.

M-V is not mercon V. however ive seen it used a lot with no ill effects. also the green coolant in newer mazdas is a long life formula. also i beleive it comes as a premix.

My Mazda CX7 has the F22 coolant and is supposedly good for 10 years or 120,000 miles. I would not hesitate to use G05 and have used it in my Subaru's for many years without an issue (30,000 mile changes). Whatever you decide to use, I would do a complete flush with a garden hose Run to clear)-followed by 2 X distilled water gravity drains and then a 50/50 mix of G05 & distilled water (WalMarts for ~ $1.29 a gallon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back