Current Total Base Number(TBN) for motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can an oil with a higher TBN be used longer? I only drive this "gasser" pickup about once a month and usually short trips, of 5-10 miles. I was thinking of using a 10W-30 HDEO. Vehicle is a 1979 Dodge w/ 88,500 orig. miles. I want a conventional dino oil with a high TBN and a good additive package. THANKS.

What kind of OCIs are you wishing to go? 5-10 miles isn't enough to get the oil hot enough, long enough to evaporate any moisture or fuel.

It is my view that TBN retention may be as important as a high starting TBN. Look at the UOA's and look for TBN retention over the life of the oil.

For the northern climates, I would use as low a viscosity as possible in a synthetic version if your budget permits.

Diesels used to need a high TBN when diesel fuels had more sulfur content, but not as important now.

Hi,
I believe that it is important to track UOA results via both TBN and TAN (especially in diesel engines)
This is a little more expensive but with extended OCIs it can save a lot of wasted lubricant and filters

Sadly very high TBNs are not a good idea except for specific engine families. Sometimes it signals the abscence of magnesium and zinc in their composition as well
Generally as the TBN increases sulphated ash also increases
High SA levels are not good in petrol engines

Only "mixed fleet" HDEOs should be used in petrol engines

Last edited:
I thought perhaps a once a year would be enough for an infrequently driven vehicle. Can you only tell if an oil has good TBN retention after a UOA? In your experience, what oil has the "longest" TBN retention? Please make suggestions and name names. Sincere thanks.

Junebug I think that with the short trips I would not worry about what oil or TBN used, IMHO all oils will be fine in that area BUT the high blow bye of fuel, water, and the cold running should mean that a shorter oil change is in order.

I would go to twice a year with whatever oil you can find on sale. Then do one UOA for TBN retention and go from there.
bruce

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back