Why is UOA lead high when Techron (etc..) used

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen reference to the fact that lead may read high in a UOA when Techron and certain other fuel system cleaners are used. What I haven't seen is why.

Is this some compound of lead that's in the Techron itself and reading as lead from blowby?

Is this actual bearing wear from something else in the Techron blowing by, getting in the oil and attacking lead?

My dad had a spike in lead on a UOA about a year ago that may have been a particle streak or something. He wanted to do another UOA 12-18 months later to see if it is a chronic condition or a fluke. The catch is that he's a snowbird and just spent the last 2 months burning Chevron 93. He was hoping for an accurate UOA, is the pre-mixed dose from the station going to skew a UOA or does it take higher concentrations than that? He also doesn't understand why lead is high (ie. is it actually wear or a false reading) and I can't tell him much.

Originally Posted By: jarvk22
If you use Techron as instructed it WILL NOT increase lead.

That may be true, but I think I read on here where Terry quit recommending the use of Techron. That leads me to believe it isn't all that great.

OK, before this gets going in the wrong direction....

I'm not discussing if Techron is good, great, better than X.

I have read that Techron, Redline SI-1 and possibly other chemically similar cleaners have raised lead in UOAs even when used correctly. Many of these cases may have been used in the last tank before an oil change - don't know.

Specifically I'm curious why this happens at all, even if the directions are not followed. Is this real lead from wear, or something in the cleaner that reads as lead?

If it isn't that great in Terry's eyes, thats probably because it causes unnecessary wear. Ergo, to answer your question again, yes. Techron use does lead to increased lead wear metals. Terry had customers who were getting obvious sound/professional advice and still having problems with Techron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back