Motor oil for 01' Saab 9-5 2.3t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a 01 saab 9-5 2.3t which is 70k on it. The oil was used to be replaced at the shop but I would like to do by myself in this this time. Which brand of oils are good for her? And how many quarts do I need?
Thanks.

Uh oh, here come the "sludger" posts ha ha...

Ryan, just listen to whatever BrianWC says.

I test drove one of those a while back and very smooth car. Even had ventilated leather seats. Front tires would spin if you floor it (automatic) on wet pavement even at 20mph or so. Impressive power for a 2.3l

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RyanHeo
And how many quarts do I need?

4.2 quarts (with filter change) according to Amsoil's online application guide.

I had a 2002 9-3 SE (2.3L turbo) and I used Mobil 1 0w40 with 5k changes. I never did a UOA on that oil after a 5k run, unfortunately. If I had it back, I'd consider the M-1 again, as well as the 5w40 offerings from Schaeffer's and Amsoil.

Link up with Pablo or Gary, have them get you all the information regarding capacities, filters, etc., and then purchase Amsoil european 5w-40.

It will be the easiest move for you - everything will come from one place, and youll get a top-notch oil.

You can run delvac 1 5w-40, and Im not sure if many use it in the 9-5, but in other euro cars, rotella 5w-40 syn is popular. Delvac 1 is tough to find sometimes, even in its wal-mart iteration, a.k.a. turbo diesel truck 5w-40. Rotella is pretty easy to find.

Its your call. The site sponsors on here are experts and are top-notch.

JMH

5W-30 is OK, but not the best choice for these engines. Mobil 1 5W-40 (unfortunately named "Turbo Diesel Truck") should be available in one or several local auto supply stores. Many of my local WalMarts also carry it in 4 qt jugs. This is what I run in our 2.0t '99 9³. It holds up better under the strain of the turbo than the 0W-40 does. Amsoil would be my 2nd choice, only because it's more expensive.

Eiron:

I believe I remember you from the Saabnet board. Have you performed any UOAs that demonstrate the M-1 5w40 is better than the 0w40 in this particular engine? I thought it was the reverse.

Actually, I used the 0w40 the first year of the lease, then M-1 5w40 for the last two years with 5k OCIs. No problems. No DIC problems, either. Just a blown tranny seal (5-spd) at 29k miles.

RyanHeo: don't use the 5w30. Stick with a 5w40 from one of the three "distillers" I mentioned above. Good luck.

I asked the question at my local shop. They let me know M1 10w30 will be fine. What is the best choice? M1 5w40(Turbo diesel) or 0w40? I'm getting confuse...

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: RyanHeo
I asked the question at my local shop. They let me know M1 10w30 will be fine. What is the best choice? M1 5w40(Turbo diesel) or 0w40? I'm getting confuse...

Thanks.

M1 5W-40 in the summer, M1 0W-40 in the winter would be my choice.

Different board, but same question and same reply.

4 litres of ELF Excellium 5W/40 NF with an oversized filter - Purolaor L20195. Although Mobil-1 served me well for hundreds of thousands of miles, so it is fine too.

2000 Saab 9-5 lpt
216,400 miles
5K oil changes since new

dkryan, yeah, I've posted a couple of 9³ UOAs here. I haven't looked lately to see if they're still archived or not. It was quite a while ago that I last ran M1 0W-40 in the 9³. Once I saw the improvements using 5W-40 I never went back! But as I mentioned, my engine is the 2.0L lpt, not the 2.3L. I'm running my 9³ OCIs for approx 1yr/10k mi.

I'm not too active on TSN at the moment. Coffee's my current BB time hog. Which is the reason why I haven't posted my recent 20k mi UOA from my C900.
blush.gif
That one's a mix of 0W-40 & 15W-50, no filter change, & it looks fantastic!

There seems to be enough concern about using Mobil 1 10w-30 or 5w-30 in the 2.3t that I think you would be best to avoid it. I have in my notes some info from the Nines articles and the 30w oils are suspect.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
What is the concern re M1?

Sorry it took so long. I was taking a little vacation from posting so I could work 3 or so weeks straight thru.
crazy2.gif

No particular concern regarding M1, just running 30 weights in these engines. The oil pump has trouble holding spec pressure with 30 weights. Options are to buy a new pump and pray it's one of the new, finally in spec pumps or...just run 40 weight.

The 40 weight oils mentioned are good and I would add M1 10W40 High Mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back