Taurus USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out at the local gun shop and something came home with me.
grin.gif

img1434os2.jpg

I made sure I will not have to send it back right away since we all know what Taurus Customer service is like.

Shoots well. Great trigger and with my handloads, great fun!

The porting works great. Have to say for 60% of the price of the next pistol on my list (Ruger Redhawk 4") is a good buy.

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Last edited:
My wife and I own 3 Taurus .357 revolvers and have had no problems or complaints about them. In my opinion they're quality guns at a price lower than the competition. Taurus guns uniformly get good reviews from gun writers. If you want a revolver for your wife, check out the Taurus Tracker, which has a seven shot cylinder and comes in a number of calibers. My wife and I each have one, both .357's, and are very pleased with them. By the way, for those of you who have or buy this gun, I couldn't find a speedloader listed for the Taurus .357 Tracker, but the HKS numer 587 speedloader works for this gun, tho the gun is not listed on the speedloader package. A gun shop employee told me this and he's right. I know, because I bought four of them and they work for this gun.

Just got rid of a Taurus model 66 .357 magnum revolver. Trigger pull was terrible. I used to carry a S&W model 686 .357 Magnum on the job. I would not trust my life to a Taurus ever. Seen many Taurus revolvers with busted firing pins.

Having owned and shot both alot there is no comparison, S&W gets my vote everytime. The fit and finish of the Taurus is rough to say the least. Can't shoot anything over 125 grains in a Taurus but, the Smith you can feed anything bullet weight through it. Wonder why that is?

Quote:

Can't shoot anything over 125 grains in a Taurus but, the Smith you can feed anything bullet weight through it. Wonder why that is?

Being a Taurus and S&W owner I cannot imagine where you got that information!
dunno.gif

GMBoy,

I stand corrected. I meant to say nothing over 158 grains. Looked at the manual and thats what it stated not to go over in bullet weight. Something is up with that, my smiths could digest anything. Smith and Wesson never cautioned not to go over a certain bullet weight the way Taurus does in their manuals. Says to me Taurus is no where near as stout as a S&W.

Whew. I was getting worried because just about all my rounds are over 125. I'll check my Taurus manuals. While on the topic, my little Scandium .357 Smith snubbie carry gun(model 360PD) specifically says --on the barrel-- no bullet LESS than 120grains. They say that anything lighter will leave corrisive powder in the barrel. Even though the gun weighs like 11oz, it'll handle full on .357's all day but my hands won't!

Many comments here on how the Taurus revolvers don't stack up well with the S&W revolvers. Well, here is my Taurus model 669 .357mag with 6" barrell and factory ported next to my latest purchase - a S&W 360PD scandium/titanium .357 with the 1 7/8" barrell. Both show excellent fit and finish and shoot accurately. I've had the Taurus for about 10 years and the Smith for 2 months. The Smith is one of my concealed carry guns and is great! Weighs less then 12oz, but almost breaks your hand to fire full .357's....funny as heck to watch someone shoot it who isn't expecting the recoil. My point is....both of these guns are nice and show high quality, I paid around $300 for the Taurus 10yrs ago and almost $800 for the Smith. I don't think I got $500 more in quality...but the extra cost was surley worth it for the awesome concealablity and stopping power in such a small package.

I will add one negative comment about Taurus - I own a PT140 Melenium (.40 cal) that really is not a great shooter. The double action trigger is awful - really notchy and rough. Otherwise, the gun shoots accurately - but the trigger pull has to be mastered first. If you don't concentrate enough, you'll miss the target. Concentrate and you can get pretty good groups. This is one reason why I stopped using it as a CCW gun. I couldn't feel confident in shooting it well in time of need. I needed something that had a good trigger and didn't need to me finessed to shoot the target. I replaced it with a Springfield XD40 and of course, the 360PD above. I do know that the later generation of PT mellenium models have a better trigger (atleast from what I've read), but I've not shot one yet so they may be good guns now. Mine is about 5 years old.

Up date: Ended up buying a new Taurus .22 mag 8 shot stainless steel w/matte finish. I bought it at auction for about $380 all totaled with shipping + insurance and FFL transfer fee. Not a great deal but oh well.

Next week I'm ordering this Mossberg .410ga.

Mossberg410.jpg

No doubt the wife and daughter can handle the .22mag and I'm sure the .410 won't be a problem either. Both will be for in home defense. And just having fun target shooting.

It's not that we live in a bad neighborhood. In fact it's a very good neighborhood, but my car was broken into last August and the house across the street was broken into a few weeks ago. Better safe than sorry.

Oh, and we also have 3 fairly large dogs which also helps.

Thanks for all the input.

Mark

Check them out good before you buy one. I bought a couple and had problems. The latest was a 44mag Tracker where the cylinder would lock up during rotation.(I thought I checked it good at the store, found the flaw later that night) Fortunately I have a good dealer and once they looked at the problem they said "yep, that won't do you any good." and took it back. Because of their good service I paid more and bought a 4" Redhawk. The trigger on the new Redhawk is excellent and I've own many Smith & Wesson's. (Still have my little M36 Chief.)

Here's my new Mossberg .410ga, 18.5" barrel, with pistol grip, and Taurus 8 shot .22 magnum.

P1000136.jpg

I'm looking forward to taking them out for a test spin.

I noticed that Tauris 45/.410 revolver also while visiting the site. Very tempting.

Last edited:
Very nice. I have 2 Taurus revolvers, the 8-shot .22 Mag. like yours, and a Titanium 5-shot .41 Mag., ported bbl. They both shoot great.

I want to get one of those .410 Mossbergs with dual pistol grips and the laser if they still make them.

I believe they had a cylinder choke, and when loaded with slugs hit like a .357 Magnum out to 50 yards. Very easy to handle recoil wise, pump action, not under handgun restrictions (a big issue here) and it can be loaded with buckshot for "indoor use."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back