Synthetic oil & engine noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
A curious thing occured when I changed the oil in the mother-in-laws 01 Tacoma 2.7 4 cyl. I had been using 5W-30 Val Max life semi syn for the last 25,000 miles and decided to try Castrol full synthetic. SAme filter (PURE 1) as always. About 3 days after changing, she calls and says the engine is noisy. I have her bring it over and sure enough, there is a moderate "ticking" in the top end. I rechecked the level, perfect. She says it is louder when cold but never does go away. I drained the crankcase, refilled with Valv Max Life (no filter change) and PRESTO, noise gone!! IS this weird or What? Anyone else ever had this happen? Truck has 64,000 miles on it. Manual says nothing about synthetic, good or bad. Just curious.

My theory is it's thinner at start-up and the parts have not expanded from being hot, so until it is hot there is going to be a lot of noise just from parts not expanding to full spec and thicker oil not being there to dampen the shock of things.

I noticed a big difference in startup operation on my car even going between 5W-30 Pennzoil and 10W-30 Valvoline dino, and then a bigger difference yet going to Mobil 1 5W-30 from Pennzoil 5W-30.

MaxLife is generally pretty thick oil, as well, which woild make a big difference I think although Castrol tends to make thick oils as well.

Castrol syntec 5w30 is typically thinner than other 5w30 oils. As the other poster stated, Maxlife is a much thicker than most 5w30's (hence not meeting the EC spec). If you want a thick synthetic 5w30, Mobil1 would be one of the thickest.

Having said that, Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 is pretty close to being a 5w30 and seems to make my engine quieter than both 5w30 and 10w30 dino.

YMMV...

The problem is your engine doesnt like fake synthetics that cost asmuch as the real thing :)

If you have an Autozone in your area go there. Look for Castrol Syntec 0w-30. Youre looking for the bottles with "european formula" on the front, dont get the 0w-30. without this phrase on the front.

This is known as German Castrol. It is a completely different then other Syntec. It is a true synthetic.
I can almost guarantee that using this will eliminate that ticking.

Its a magical elixer that was created by the painstaking efforts of the elves in the forests of germany.

If you decide to use this wonderful product please dont waste it on 5k mile oil change intervals. If youre uncomfortable going longer pull a sample at 5k and send it in for a UOA. Theyll tell you about how much longer you can go on the oil. Im thinking atleast 7.5k

Originally Posted By: Wags
About 3 days after changing, she calls and says the engine is noisy. I have her bring it over and sure enough, there is a moderate "ticking" in the top end. I rechecked the level, perfect. She says it is louder when cold but never does go away. I drained the crankcase, refilled with Valv Max Life (no filter change) and PRESTO, noise gone!! IS this weird or What?

No that's not weird; I've read that same occurrence many times on this board before. I think it's a good idea to go one grade up in viscosity when switching to synthetic; unless it's an HM synthetic.

I just posted a question about injector ticking in the Mechanical/Maintenance section. My ticking sounds just like your MIL's engine noise. And I have noticed it more and more since I have switched over to syn oil(group III mostly). But, I only notice it in the colder months and never above 60+ deg F.

I had the same thing happen when i switched my brother's nissan P/U to amsoil. he used to do 3K OCI's, like every 6-8 weeks! a couple hundred miles before he would change it, the ticking would start. new oil, noise went away. after we made the switch to amsoil, he said the noise became unbearably loud. amsoil tech line said the new oil cleaned out so much c r a p that the filter was clogged, and unfiltered oil was flowing through the engine. recommended changing out the filter. seems to be fine now.
my other experience w/ japanese V6's is that they tend to be noisy, valvetrain wise, and some oils quiet it, while others don't.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I just posted a question about injector ticking in the Mechanical/Maintenance section. My ticking sounds just like your MIL's engine noise. And I have noticed it more and more since I have switched over to syn oil(group III mostly). But, I only notice it in the colder months and never above 60+ deg F.

My theory is that since gas has been reformulated with corn, potato skin or whatever it is they put in it now, that my injectors just make more racket.

Various oils that make my engine quieter also allow me to hear the injector more easily.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
I had the same thing happen when i switched my brother's nissan P/U to amsoil. he used to do 3K OCI's, like every 6-8 weeks! a couple hundred miles before he would change it, the ticking would start. new oil, noise went away. after we made the switch to amsoil, he said the noise became unbearably loud. amsoil tech line said the new oil cleaned out so much c r a p that the filter was clogged, and unfiltered oil was flowing through the engine. recommended changing out the filter. seems to be fine now.
my other experience w/ japanese V6's is that they tend to be noisy, valvetrain wise, and some oils quiet it, while others don't.

I find it interesting how differently different motors react to oils. My TL had the normal valvetrain noise when new. It was the same as any other TL I've heard and I even thought it could be injectors. I switched to M1 5-30 early on in it's life and the noise was about the same or worse. When I made the switch to Amsoil 5-30 on the next change, the noise was almost completely gone. With the ACD 30wt it sounds like a sewing machine.

My GN, however, was noticably louder with synthetic no matter what the viscosity.

I am sticking with Max Life. I also use it in my 01 Tahoe amd 98 Suby Forseter (195k!). I just thought since the Toy was driven low miles, a syn would be beneficial. I guess I wasn't doin' the mother-in-law any favors!!!

Originally Posted By: Bulli
is noise bad?

I don't think so. But when walking in a parking lot I can't hear a car that passes me, I'm impressed.

Oh no, another oil/engine noise thread....but anyhow
welcome2.gif
to the board!

I recently changed from Mobil 1 10W-30 to Mobil 1 EP 10W-30 in my 88 E-150 4.9L. The engine which has 64,000 miles and was pampered its entire life. Since the switch it seems to be more noisy. On my next OC I plan on trying PP 5W-30. I've read a lot of good info about PP and thought I'd give it a try. I wonder if going from 10W-30 to a 5W-30 will matter?

Frank D

Originally Posted By: Brien
Id go with the Maxlife no questions asked. If you can find the full synthetic version thats a great choice too

Thanks, the owners man. gave several choices for oil viscosity, 5W-30 was not one of them. The Mobil site recommends it. Since I have always used 10W-30, do you think 5W-30 will help or hurt. I live on Long Island so it does get cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

Thanks,
Frank D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back