Synthetic oil & engine noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brien
The problem is your engine doesnt like fake synthetics that cost asmuch as the real thing :)

If you have an Autozone in your area go there. Look for Castrol Syntec 0w-30. Youre looking for the bottles with "european formula" on the front, dont get the 0w-30. without this phrase on the front.

This is known as German Castrol. It is a completely different then other Syntec. It is a true synthetic.
I can almost guarantee that using this will eliminate that ticking.

Its a magical elixer that was created by the painstaking efforts of the elves in the forests of germany.

If you decide to use this wonderful product please dont waste it on 5k mile oil change intervals. If youre uncomfortable going longer pull a sample at 5k and send it in for a UOA. Theyll tell you about how much longer you can go on the oil. Im thinking atleast 7.5k

Just to throw a wrench in things.....

I recently changed out Maxlife Blend 5w30 in my Nissan Altima and put in Green GC. The Maxlife was nice and quiet. The GC is loud, and makes more noise. It is not a placebo effect. I listened before and after. Very distinctive noise with the GC. I have used GC before in other vehicles, but not the Nissan.

So, I agree, Maxlife can quiet your engine. It doesn't mean that the synthetic is not protecting though. I have no intentions on draining the GC. I am just using up some oil stash that I have. When the GC is gone, I will be using all Amsoil products in the car.

I just switched from the dino Pennzoil 5w-30 to PP 5w-30 on my hyundai accent at 45000mi and I swear the engine noise is noticeably louder when the engine is cold. Until it gets to operating temperature the engine chatter is now quite noticeable, especially on deceleration. Should I switch back to the yellow bottle?

I've noticed more noise too with syn. when cold. IMO it's due to the smaller molecule allowing sound to transfer easier but what do I know, I'm not a chemists.

Been using syn of some nature for years. Since the UOAs were always great and allowed extended drains I don't worry about a little cold tick as in most cases the initial cold clatter is all but non existent.

Part of it could be your eng. Some are louder on certain oil then others. I had a lot of noise with my Vibe until I went with Amsoils XL oils.

It's also possible what your now hearing are the injectors. Very common for this to occur.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Brien
Id go with the Maxlife no questions asked. If you can find the full synthetic version thats a great choice too

Thanks, the owners man. gave several choices for oil viscosity, 5W-30 was not one of them. The Mobil site recommends it. Since I have always used 10W-30, do you think 5W-30 will help or hurt. I live on Long Island so it does get cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

Thanks,
Frank D

Help, but just a little bit.

Holden V6 3800 1995 Ecotec. (Buick equivalent)
Mobil 1 5w50 supersyn made low level start up engine noise for about 5 secs and then was fine.

Castrol 0w40 Formula R SL version after 6 weeks made slight ringing noise after about 5 mins of running, when in gear (Auto Trans) and with the foot on the brake and car not moving.

AGIP 5w40 SJ, Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 SL, Redline 10w30 SJ, Redline 10w40 SJ and Fuchs Supersyn 5w40 SM oils, all were quiet no noise.

Currently using Fuchs Super GTO 10W30 SM, Molecular Convertor no noise.

I noticed on my Tundra
Mobil 1 5W-30 noisiest
Mobil 1 Truck & SUV Quieter
Shell Rotella 5W-40 same as Mobil 1 Truck SUV
Amsoil 5W-30 Quietest

Also does anyone notice the engine sounds quieting down the longer the oil has been in service?

Ken

What would the start-up engine noise/clatter that is louder when I take my foot off the gas and decelerate be attributable too?

Originally Posted By: Drew1977
What would the start-up engine noise/clatter that is louder when I take my foot off the gas and decelerate be attributable too?

You use the gas pedal and decelerate during start up?

That doesn't make much sense does it?! The increased engine noise with PP is heard on start-up and for a minute or two after I start to drive. I might just be my perception, but it seems to be much louder when I decelerate and there is no load on the engine.

I was always under the impression that synthetic oil lubricates a "cold" engine better, but with this valvetrain noise Im second guessing this, at least in my case. But...as mentioned before, engine noise does not always correlate to engine wear.

Originally Posted By: Drew1977

But...as mentioned before, engine noise does not always correlate to engine wear.

Ah, but noise is ALWAYS a symptom of wasted energy.
56.gif

Yeah, crummy, noisy synthetic (I dunno how you doods perceive this stuff).

Noisy in your engine? Please. Utah Bill would tell you that noise you hear is what's left in your wallet rattling around because there are fewer dollars in there left behind to take up the slack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back