recommendation for R56 Mini Cooper S (DI 1.6T)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that don't know, this is the new turbo-charged engine jointly developed by BMW and Peugot. The latter was the first to successfully bring DI to a gasoline engine. I'm hoping their longer experience with this technology will not be similar to the Audi problems I've been reading about here.

BMW specs synthetic 5W30. The manual lists a Mini Cooper branded oil and Mobil 1 5w30 or 5w40, or a synthetic oil that meets API SH or greater. The manual doesn't mention any of the BMW Long Life specs. Calling Mini's customer service didn't turn up anything else. Suggestions on what oil to use? I'm planning on going oil analysis anyway.

Oh yeah, I've been a lurker here for a bit and also have an '02 WRX and '92 VW Corrado.

John

Don't know. The mini forums I've found are quite lacking in technical information compared to what I was used to with VW enthusiasts.

The supercharged MINI had a Chrysler block. The new turbo has the Peugeot/BMW engine.
I would recommend that you run the 5W-30 synthetic you can get from the dealer and see how that holds up. I have had good results with it on my 2005 MINI S.

I would just run the BMW 5w-30 oil and change it at 1/2 the recommended interval.

Since this is a European designed/built engine I'd look for a synthetic (what Mini recommends) ACEA A3/B3 rated oil. BMW/Mini Synthetic Oil meets these requirements and is generally the most cost effective, I'd stick with that.

However, being the hypocrite that I am and seeing that this is a direct injection engine plus the good results RI_RS4 had, I'm giving RLI 5W40 a try after "break-in" on my R56S.

Cheers

it's not a BMW engine, so u don't have to use BMW spec oil, they have a High HTHS spec so it's not for every car

if they say M1 is good then u can use any other syn oil like PP, QS, Castrol as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back