German Castrol in a 07 Acura TL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard lots of good things about German Castrol and really want to try it. I have a 07 Acura TL, and my car specifies a 5W-20 oil. I'm wondering if it'd be appropriate for my car to use the German Castro since it only comes in 0W-30. Will there be any adverse effect for using it, such as reduced fuel economy, increased engine sludge, etc.?

Thanks!

I love GC and have it in a 2006 Tundra. I would say to look at a site from Australia or Japan that is non-CAFE and see the weights that they recommend for your car. If a ?-30w is optional then try the GC and then run a UOA and see how your car likes it. Additionally, I would like to say that there seem to be some nice reports coming in the UOA section with the new Amsoil 0w-20.

I had it in a Acura and would not recommend it. If you want to try it mid-summer go for it. There are too many good 20 weight oils to choose fom to mess w/GC. If you want a specialty oil, order AMSoil or a lightweight Euro 30 weight or a thin 0w-30 like Mobil 1. I see you are in Canada, how about Esso XD-3 0w-30, there is an excellent oil for your car. As far as Euro specs, you don't want a thick A3 oil like GC, you want a thinner A5 oil like PP 5w-30 or Mobil 1 30 weight.

Thanks for the replies.

I guess the GC would be too thick for my car.

What are some good recommendations of 5W-20 oils for an Acura? PP? Castrol Syntec? M1?

the TL's engine is not picky on oil, u can use any kind u want...actually the engine originally requires 5W-30 and they changed it to 5W-20 for saving 0.1mpg in 2001, but 5W-30 is absolutely fine

my TL was using 5W-20 at the beginning but then i switched to 5W-30, and at time i even used Motul 0W-40 and had great results

right now i am with Amsoil 0W-30 and it's the best oil i have so far with 80000miles, so u can go with Amsoil and try it

the TL's engine is a high rev V6, so a 30 weight oil would do a better job in this car, almsot all TL guys in the acura forum use 30 weight oil at least in their TL

just remember change ur ATF once a year with Amsoil ATF as well

I've had GC in my '99 Accord for about 4K now. Different engine, of course, but still a Honda.
Based upon my experience, you may take a small hit in fuel economy with GC, but you'll also notice considerably quieter operation. GC seems very effective in muting mechanical noise. Other than that, your engine will run as it always has, and you will enjoy the proven low wear, high TBN qualities of GC.

My wife's '04 TL purrs like a kitten with
Amsoil's new 0W-20. Will get a UOA this month.
This engine does NOT like RedLine 5W-20 by the way.
Craig

Got 3 acuras TL,TSX and RSX. Two of them say 5w20 on the oil cap and 5w30 on the other. I use 5w30 and no problems what so ever.

I know this is an older thread but I've been using Amsoil 5-30 in my 06 TL for 10K miles. I don't think you will have problems with the 30wt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back