Zinc versus Phosphorus versus ZDDP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

In comparing Valvoline 20w50 motorcycle oil versus Valvoline VR1 50 weight monograde, the zinc was higher in the 20w50 motorcycle oil and the phosphorous was higher in the VR1 straight 50 weight, so which has the higher ZDDP? I understand that phosphorous is what actually provides the antiwear characteristics in ZDDP.

-Eric

Wouldn't worry too much about that, the chemists come up with that stuff, they are both good oils so use what viscosity your bike calls for. Straight 50 weight racing oil is used usually for lube in racing applications and then dumped soon after nor does monograde oil have good cold flow characteristics, leaving your engine less protected until it warms up to full operating temp. I ZDDP is a compound zinc-dialkyl-dithio-phosphate the blend is more important than any one 'ingredient'. Use the 20w50. Amen

Chubbs

unless you have a very old wide tolerance harley or other very loose engine or preheat your engine + oil a LOT of wear will occur until that #50 oil reaches critical parts

ZDDP is Zinc and Phosphorous.
As for the 50 weight, it does take a long time to get pumped up. A long time to be running on boundary lubrication. I would suggest 20w50 over 50 weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back