YouTube Mechanics

Yea, my only gripe is they always seems to convientely leave out an explanation of the more difficult aspect of some jobs.

Case in point, their spark plug change video on the chevy 5.3L leaves out coverage of the number 8 plug.
Yea. Two choices for #8. Either the flying superman, or take off the passenger side wheel, put the truck corner on a stand, and come in from underneath the fender.

Some of Rainman Ray's techniques leave me wondering. For example, why doesn't he use rags to catch the power steering, brake, or other fluid that everyone **** well knows will drip out when he disconnects that thingy? On a drip-related note, is brake cleaner the answer to everything? I love the sound effect startling the audience with a can of brake cleaner, but his truly excessive use of this stuff is ridiculous... of course it works, use it for what is needed, but using copious amounts for no good reason is just dumb.
Generally his approach is sound and he diagnoses most problems correctly.

In addition to the Car Care Nut here‘s another Toyota master technician that‘s very good Viktor G Automotive
Thanks for the tip! Car Care Nut has been my favorite since I only own Toyota/Lexus. I like his honesty
and belief system.

No particular order. Just going through my YouTube subscription list:

The Car Care Nut
The Magic Mechanic Show
Rainman Ray's Repairs
Timmy the Toolman
Scott Kilmer
Toyota Maintenance
Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics
GX470 Practical Maintenance and Upgrades
Chickanic
Steve's Small Engine Saloon
South Main Auto
Car Wizard
Engineering Explained
Weber Auto
Hoovies Garage
Toyota Complete Maintenance Care

Just added Viktor G Automotive

I enjoy Uncle Tony as I have old cars. Also 1A Auto for straightforward info. There was Eric the Car Guy who hasn't done anything last 6 months. Myvintageiron 7512 for the Ford FE. Also enjoy watching Mercedessource and I don't even have a Mercedes.

Reactions: b_b
There was Eric the Car Guy who hasn't done anything last 6 months.
He has no shop at the moment. His previous landlord needed his space and actually gave him 6+ months or longer to find a new place. I don't know all of the specifics but at one point, he had a space lined up in a building under construction but there were long, long delays and the place wasn't ready or even close to ready when he had to move out.

He has no shop at the moment. His previous landlord needed his space and actually gave him 6+ months or longer to find a new place. I don't know all of the specifics but at one point, he had a space lined up in a building under construction but there were long, long delays and the place wasn't ready or even close to ready when he had to move out.

That's what I remember too.. He pops up on other social media sites every once in a while, but hopefully will return to YouTube. He is one I enjoy as well.

Anyone watch Garage 54 for some entertainment? Crazy automotive experiments that are funny to watch...

Sadly Richard permanently closed his shop…

It looks like he just moved, found this while I was bouncing around the net

He's back up and posting, although I haven't had time to watch any of the vids yet.

I thought I remembered way back when they first started growing the channel that Richard had said something along the lines that he was building the business for Trent to take over one day. I'm guessing that Trent might have owned part of Precision Transmission, so when they had whatever falling out it was, Richard just packed it up and cut the ties from Trent and to do that, had to close the PT business down and start over.

Just a guess on my part.

Sucks for families to split like that, but personally, I like Richard better, so I hope his channel takes off.

Last edited:
Out of all the fake Youtube hacks and idiots, Eric O actually knows what he's doing. I have yet to see Scotty do substantial work on any car on video.

In no particular order:
  • South Main Auto
  • Car Wizard/Omega Auto Clinic
  • Watch Wes Work
  • FordTechMakuloco
  • ScannerDanner
  • Car Ninja
  • Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics
  • The Car Care Nut

No EricTheCarGuy? I realize he's no longer making videos but most, if not all his videos are extremely informative and he stresses doing things the right way and using OE parts where due. To me, he's the Honda/Acura version of Fordtechmakuloco.

Reactions: wlk
Back