Your opinion on 05 camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
My step daughter is getting her driver license so looking to get a car for her. I found an 05 Camry LE 4 cyl w 110k miles, asking $5500. I read about it and it seems like a very good reliable car. Your thoughts or experiences? Thanks

The Camry is a great choice
smile.gif

Do you have a link to the ad? Should be a solid choice. Just have it checked out by a good mechanic.

Sounds cheap for a late 5th gen. My Camry has and remains pretty much flawless. I can't think of a car of its vintage that's more reliable and the ac still freezes you out in 95 degree +90% humidity. It's so well insulated that people think it's a V6.

A friend had one of that vintage, 4cyl, the car had zero maintenance and was treated like a hack.

After 11 years she got rid of it, it ran perfectly, but was looking ugly.

Good car, with good maintenance should last her many years. Toyotas around here seem to go for a pretty high price, that doesn't sound out of line.

We have two (2) 05 Camry's. 1 - 4 cyl SE and 1 - 6 cyl. XLE.
Both purchased new and have had great service.
Only non maintenance repairs was a torn power steering boot & starter on the 4 cyl began making a weird sound in the winter so I change it.

I've had good luck with them. Just bought an 08 V6. Put some good tires on it, young drivers need all the help they can get.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Should be a solid choice. Just have it checked out by a good mechanic.

+1

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Sounds cheap for a late 5th gen. My Camry has and remains pretty much flawless. I can't think of a car of its vintage that's more reliable and the ac still freezes you out in 95 degree +90% humidity. It's so well insulated that people think it's a V6.

If I had a nickle......

Some have side airbags, skid control, abs, etc, not standard on all models I don't think. My daughter has an 02 SE I bought for her, had those extras, some years ago. My impression is it's a very strong car all around.

See my sig!

Change all fluids.
...check for cracks in the "dogbone" engine mount atop the engine (just left of the oil filler hole).
...check the PCV valve and hose...they're likely need of replacement too.
...plugs are okay until 120k miles....

Last edited:
We bought ours (05 Camry LE) new 11 years and 1 day ago. It currently has about 115,000 miles on it. I just replaced the alternator this week (quit charging and was making a loud howling noise and smelled like burnt electrical). The water pump is leaking ever so slightly out the weep hole, so it is due for replacement in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Otherwise it has been completely reliable.

Not a lot of power, and not the best MPG in the world but overall a decent car to get from point a to b.

Last edited:
It sounds like a great first car for her. The 4 cylinder should be fairly easy to service and you should get many care free miles from that Camry. Our neighbor had that year Camry and she liked it better than her brand new Camry she drives now?

Good car + good price = happy family.

ask about coolant leaks/use, few of these had head bolt stripping issues..otherwise solid transportation that retains value even with heavy miles. checout cars.com and look at all the examples with +300k going for $5,000

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: zach1900

If I had a nickle......
and?....

IMO, you can't go wrong with a Camry in regards to safety, reliability and resale, but insurance rates are higher for them. May or may not be a concern for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back