Your OCI With PUP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Wow...being PUP (backed by 15 year/500,000 mile lubrication limited warranty) one would think that BITOG-ers OCI would shun and push past the 5K barrier that is propagated by iffy-lube shops....I guess not.

45.gif

So you only consider miles travelled and not time or driving conditions?

5000 miles is basic conventional oil realm, not PUP. Do you have an OLM? What does it say? Have you performed a UOA that has directed you to go shorter OCI?

I've seen lots of vehicles with driving habits or conditions that limit then to 3000 miles. Don't group everyone under the same umbrella.

Example 1: my cars are both carbureted and doing 5 mile round trips to work 5 days a week. In the winter that includes many sub zero cold starts and warming up to scrape the windows.

Example 2: my girlfriend's Hyundai sonata. It does the same type of commute to work as mine plus has GDI and the oil was looking terrible and smelling of fuel after the 3k miles that she used to go (6-7 months for her).

Example 3: my work truck is a 2005 Silverado. The oil life monitor goes to about 4k miles in the summer and almost down to 3k miles in the winter. (I do construction layout for a land surveyor and the truck does lots of idle time).

Those are just the quickest ones that come to mind for me.

Last edited:
Wow...being PUP (backed by 15 year/500,000 mile lubrication limited warranty) one would think that BITOG-ers OCI would shun and push past the 5K barrier that is propagated by iffy-lube shops....I guess not.

45.gif

So you only consider miles travelled and not time or driving conditions?

5000 miles is basic conventional oil realm, not PUP. Do you have an OLM? What does it say? Have you performed a UOA that has directed you to go shorter OCI?

I've seen lots of vehicles with driving habits or conditions that limit then to 3000 miles. Don't group everyone under the same umbrella.

PUP is a premium high performance oil. I'd doubt that even in the conditions you've seen that it would have been stressed to the point of breakdown. If so, then there's something wrong with the engine or cooling system of the car/truck it is in, or the user is over taxing the vehicle, such as towing well beyond its limit. Maybe 3,000 miles in dust might get you there, but that isn't typical, at all.

Last edited:
Over the life of an OCI 3,750 (severe service) I average 25 MPH and about 150 - 175 hours on the oil . With the 2.4L GDI Hyundai engine the oil is looking darker brown and smells of fuel .
It's possible the oil may go 5K miles (if using PUP) and a UOA would verify - except reliability of the fuel dilution test.

Exactly, how does having a really good oil prevent fuel dilution building up in short tripped vehicle driven in sub zero temperatures, especially with GDI or a carbureted engine.

I didn't even mention dust but since you did, my work truck dash is always covered in dust because of the condition of the subdivisions we're laying out houses in. They are like a desert with dust flying everywhere sometimes and the truck will be sitting and idling in that with AC on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back