Your OCI With PUP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious for those using PUP - what are the approx. OCI's you are running with it ?
I ordered some to try from Amazon (5W30 PUP) to try in my '07 Kia Sedona 3.8L V6 which is in great shape (no leaks and doesn't burn any oil) as it's been run on synthetic most of it's 225K miles .

ram forum had the pennzoil uoa program along with here as well, just look for PUP uoa's.

I run it 6K miles in my Liberty, and was running it 5K miles in my Rubicon. I ran it 24-30 months in my van which ended up being about 4K miles.

I have PUP 0w20 in my 2018 Jeep 3.6 right now. It has been in there 6 or 7 months and for just over 5k. I'm probably going to change it soon. I haven't decided. My original plan was to do 5k OCI's, but I'm sure it is in great shape, so I may go to 6 or 7. I think it could easily go further in this engine. On the other hand, I know people with over 300k on their engines and they all swear by 5k OCI's. We'll see. I'll do a UOA whenever I change it. I did add about a cup of PP 0w20 about a thousand miles ago, but other than that, this Jeep hasn't used oil.

If the UOA comes out great, I'll probably come back to PUP if I find a decent price. In the mean time, I've got M1 AP 0w20 on deck. (Rebate).

7500 miles on the Jeep, and 5000 miles on both the 98 and the 99 Corolla. I know I probably should go deeper on the Corollas, but this particular generation Corolla is known for ring issues and I do it as " cheap insurance"......sort of an ounce of prevention kinda thing! Works for me so far.

/KnockingWood

10k miles on both the Benz and Tundra, with different viscosities, obviously. UOAs came back as unremarkable with the oil still in spec and wear metals low.

Ditto for my much-missed Focus ST.

For my '07 Sedona V-6 3.8L PFI with 5.5 qrt. sump I'm thinking that 6 months / 6K miles should be fine and easy to remember with PUP 5W30 ... Like I said , it doesn't burn oil has had synthetic oil most of it's life and sees varied driving through out the week .

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
For my '07 Sedona V-6 3.8L PFI with 5.5 qrt. sump I'm thinking that 6 months / 6K miles should be fine and easy to remember with PUP 5W30 ... Like I said , it doesn't burn oil has had synthetic oil most of it's life and sees varied driving through out the week .

That engine is incredibly easy on oil IMO; I have the 09 and like yours no leaks/no oil burning issue. I regularly do 4~5k changes on Supreme 5/30 or Havoline syn blend with the oil coming out looking great (yes, I know you can't tell much by color) so I'd be surprised if PUP couldn't do a 6k oci.

Last edited:
Wow...being PUP (backed by 15 year/500,000 mile lubrication limited warranty) one would think that BITOG-ers OCI would shun and push past the 5K barrier that is propagated by iffy-lube shops....I guess not.

45.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Wow...being PUP (backed by 15 year/500,000 mile lubrication limited warranty) one would think that BITOG-ers OCI would shun and push past the 5K barrier that is propagated by iffy-lube shops....I guess not.

45.gif

So you only consider miles travelled and not time or driving conditions?

I went as long as 17k on PUP 5w20 but it was on an engine known to be easy on oil (MZR 2.5) in my 2011 Fusion. In my 05 Outback I ran PUP 5W30 to nearly 8K, which was when it was down about 3/4 to the low mark on the dipstick, so I did an OCI at that point.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

45.gif

*In my case - large city , suburban driving with a few trips each week of 30 minutes one way . I figure time would be important unless majority of miles were highway .

45.gif

5000 miles is basic conventional oil realm, not PUP. Do you have an OLM? What does it say? Have you performed a UOA that has directed you to go shorter OCI?

I'm running PUP 0W-20 in my 2007 Mazda 6, 2.3L right now. I hope to do annual changes, which should occur at around the 14,000-16,000 km mark.

*No oil life monitor ; 2.4L Hyundai GDI engine , design flaws and fuel dilution will limit any oil to 5K miles in this engine ... Just the nature of the beast .

45.gif

5000 miles is basic conventional oil realm, not PUP. Do you have an OLM? What does it say? Have you performed a UOA that has directed you to go shorter OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back