Your Fogging Technique

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you guys lay up your boats for the winter, you to fog using traditional fogging oil, or do you use the George Van Pares method of burning a cocktail of this such as gas, 2-stroke oil, fuel injector cleaner, dri-gas.

Just curious. I use the cocktail and am shocked at how well the gas oil mixture coats the cylinder.

I use:

50% premium gas
35 % TCW-3 2-stroke oil
15% Berryman’s B-12

Next year I’ll try using 15% Neutra instead since it should accomplish the same thing.

I fill up my fuel filter/water remover and install. I then run the engine for about 5 min. using approx. 1 quart of the cocktail.

What does everybody else do?

Is this a four cycle or a two cycle? For a two cycle I simple spray fogging oil till the machine quits, drain water seperator and float bowl, change lower unit oil, and empty gas tank and fuel line. I also place a piece of aluminum foil in the carb and in the exhaust to keep mice out.

For my PCM Ford v-8, i add sta-bil to the gas tank before i go out for the last 2-3 times. This way i know it has been thru the carb ect. Then the last time out, i remove the flame arrester at the dock with the engine hot and running, i spray fogging oil into the carb. As much as i can. Probably 20-30 seconds.
My boss has a PCM Ford also but does not and has not ever fogged it. It sits outside in MN winters and has never had a problem. His now has 1600+ hrs. Mine stays in a heated garage.

I only use a gas stabilizer in a full tank of gas and run a couple hours before shutting the boat off for the winter. And I shut the engine off by choking it with close to 2 cans of fogging spray (sold at West Marine here in northeast).
1976 24' Formula w/351w Factory Ford Marine motor.

I would be a little weary of mixing two stroke oil in with the gas because after a while it will gum things up, especially in the carb. But if a whole bunch of other stuff is mixed in with the gas like injector cleaner and dry gas then I would tend to think that'll just break down the 2-cycle oil
dunno.gif
With the couple of evinrude outboards I have (10hp & 18hp) I drain them completely of gas and pull the spark plugs and spray the fogging oil in that way, and just pull the starter rope to work the oil in the cylinders. They sit in my basement so for those I don't have to worry about the cold hurting them.

Who is George Van Pares?

George is the owner of Boatfix.com and hosts a very informative forum on boatered.com. Those with boats ought to check it out. His prices are also great, but there is never any pressure to buy after advice is given. Their business is located in Florida. Even with shipping to California, I can seldom find better prices on the west coast, especially from West Marine……expensive.

My boat is EFI, so I don’t really worry about the gumming. However, this is their (Boat Fix’s) preferred method of fogging regardless of engine type. My local Four Winns dealer also uses this method for all of their customers (inboard, inboard/outboard, outboard, EFI, CARB, SEFI, etc.)

i run the thing out of gas. drain the carb. and pull the starting cord while dumping huge ammounts of oil in the carb. i get oil all through the carb and engine. smokes like hell next time i start it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back