You choose --- 370z, Mustang 5.0, Camaro SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys. We have had enough of IRS vs live axles comments.

Lets stay on the VEHICLES that the op wants to look at. Personally I think this thread is prime for a lock since everyone has had plenty of input.

Any comments, PM me.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
So have you test driven the vehicles yet?

I was able to make it out to the Chevy dealer on Friday and they wont let the Camaro's be driven but they let me in it and started her up, this was the base V6, and I wasn't impressed, for one there is absolutely horrible visibility out of the rear and mirrors and the engine felt a little jittery. While the interior was designed especially for the Camaro it losses some of its function due to design features.

The Nissan dealer doesn't have an 370s in stock so that was out and I haven't been able to make it to the ford dealer yet. While I was at the dealers though I took a stroll through the used lots as well and found some Rams for a decent price so I may be lucky and find another Ram to replace mine.

FWIW, I'm a die-hard Ford guy. Always have been, always will be. However, I do a fair bit of network work for a Chrysler dealer and my wife absolutely loves the Plumb Crazy Purple SRT-8 Challenger they have in the showroom.

And it is a beautiful car.

Personally I'd have to have it in black (and stick) but hey
wink.gif

I have no such feelings for the Camaro. I think my earlier description sums that up well enough.

Really OVERK1LL? I never would have guessed you for a Ford fan!!
grin2.gif

Your wife has good taste though!! Had my eye on a Plumb Crazy Charger R/T but was told it was too feminin of a colour...lol not everyone get's the muscle car colours. But black is my colour...so I guess you do too!

As for my choice, I think I would have to drive them before I'd descide. I'm passed the days of picking things stricktly on appearence, even if I am a card carrying GM fan! Personally I think the Camaro is probably the least sharp looking of the quartet.

Oh and your description of the Camaro, while a bit drastic IMHO, was hilarious! You do have a certain flair for making me and others I'm sure, laugh while slagging.
crackmeup2.gif

You know, I really like the 'Z' but today I was out and about and I saw two different Challengers that I really thought looked great. One was an all black one and the other was a sort of greenish-gray color. Both cars looked real sharp and clean. Nice lines on that car and not cluttered or overly gaudy looking whatsoever. I actually think it's better looking than either the Mustang or the Camaro.

The Challenger is a GREAT looking car, but it's a freaking WHALE!

Way to big for us old timers who were there in the 70's. But still pretty.

It also comfortably seats 4 full size folks and has a nice trunk. Far more content with its aging Merc suspension and new Hemi with VVT.

Almost stockers running high 12's in that monstrous car? Yep!

Originally Posted By: whip
For 30,000-35,000 you get a pretty nice used Vette. Something to think about.

True...but why not buy a Ferrari then? You can get a mid-80's 308 (Magnum, P.I.) in great condition for that price. I wish I could...it's my dream car.

Went to the state fair yesterday. Got to sit in the Camaro and the Mustang back to back.

I think the overload of fried foods may have affected my perception.

27.gif

I liked the Camaro better.

I'm going to have to arrange a test drive now.

I also discovered that the Cruze 1.4T only comes in automatic. So now, I have a good excuse for getting the Camaro
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: andrewg

True...but why not buy a Ferrari then? You can get a mid-80's 308 (Magnum, P.I.) in great condition for that price. I wish I could...it's my dream car.

Cool cars, but the maintenance would kill you.

Lol...very true. But it would just be a hobby car and driven only for fun. That old 308 just brings back so many great memories for me of the early eighties and the fun I had. For me that car and Magnum, P.I. was what it meant to be 'cool'. Corny, but true for me.

The 308 was pure awesome for me until one of the car magazines raced it against a freakin' Dodge truck.

The Lil' Red Express.

I was like 10 years old and the Ferrari was not supposed to get beat by a pick up truck. I didn't understand that acceleration was only a small part of the complete package. I also did not understand that the truck had much lesser emission restrictions. All I knew was that a pick up had beaten the Ferrari.

Then I saw a De Tomaso Pantera. My faith in the "Italian Supercar" (powered by Ford)was restored.

then that faith was destroyed again when Honda released the NSX. A supercar that parts didn't fall off of on a regular basis.

Yes, the 308 was not a super-car by any standard. But.....it's still a beautiful vehicle to me and a real Ferrari that can be had for $30k these days. I've seen some on ebay that are in truly great condition. I'd LOVE to have one.

Last edited:

Lol...very true. But it would just be a hobby car and driven only for fun. That old 308 just brings back so many great memories for me of the early eighties and the fun I had. For me that car and Magnum, P.I. was what it meant to be 'cool'. Corny, but true for me.

I can't argue with anything you said. Really cool cars. I'd love to cruise in one, but I'm not sure I'd want to own one. I've heard horror stories about the cost of parts!

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
The 308 was pure awesome for me until one of the car magazines raced it against a freakin' Dodge truck.

The Lil' Red Express.

I was like 10 years old and the Ferrari was not supposed to get beat by a pick up truck. I didn't understand that acceleration was only a small part of the complete package. I also did not understand that the truck had much lesser emission restrictions. All I knew was that a pick up had beaten the Ferrari.

Then I saw a De Tomaso Pantera. My faith in the "Italian Supercar" (powered by Ford)was restored.

then that faith was destroyed again when Honda released the NSX. A supercar that parts didn't fall off of on a regular basis.

My Continental would probable out accelerate it, but it won't look as good doing it!

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

The Lil' Red Express.

My Continental would probable out accelerate it, but it won't look as good doing it!

Does anyone remember the C&D head-to-head between the Ferrari 348 and the GMC Syclone? I had the same feelings of shame for the Ferrari after it got served in a 1/4 mile drag race against a turbo Sonoma...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back