Yet more Takata airbag recalls going out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
.... in the event of an accident, there's a 99% chance that the airbag will reduce injuries (or even save your life)--and a 1% chance you'll die over a fender bender.

That's the poroblem all right. Airbags save lives in bad accidents. In a bad accident the airbag might even have saved you, but for the flying fragments. But in a more minor accident where you would have been fine anyway, getting killed by flying fragments wasn't supposed to be part of the deal.

Getting killed by shrapnel from the device that's supposed to mitigate injuries isn't something that anybody wants.

I'm sure that somebody somewhere hit the crash statistics and actuarial tables to determine which models were most likely to be affected, likely injuries from the airbag, demographics of the owners, and the cost of settling the lawsuits. Then compared it to the cost of rental cars, and future goodwill earned from providing rentals to the owners of the models who were statistically likeliest to suffer injury.

And, there will be some folks who can't/won't get rentals due to distance from a dealer/rental lot or lack of parking. Very likely offering a rental is some sort of liability shield for Honda when somebody does suffer harm in an affected car.

At the end of the day, I'm glad that Honda decided to put people over short-term profits, and standing behind their products when their supplier screws up. They take a hit in Q1 2016, have a meh 2016, and put this behind them in 2017. Some of that driven by folks who decide to trade their now-fixed Honda in on a new one, helped by the way they handled the issue.

our tundra's passenger airbag has already been replaced - it took 1-2 weeks to get the part. I keep waiting to see the recall for the one I stare at when I drive it.

Dealer said they did like 90 that week. I don't doubt it as they forget to screw the glove box back in. and it dumped on the floor when I opened it.

I've thought about disabling it, but I think statistically the odds are still in favor of keeping it active.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
Last weekly rental I had was $300 for a midsize IIRC x number of weeks x number of vehicles...this is huge.

Honda doesn't pay $1200/month to rent a car. Probably more like $150/month. When you are renting thousands of cars, you get a bulk discount.

Called a local Honda dealer and was told my wife could get a free rental until parts were available if we signed a document stating the CRV would not be driven till then. However the service manager said hot humid weather was conducive to the over pressurization issue and not as likely up here in NY for now anyway. My wife is considering her options.

Originally Posted By: Bear
My wife is considering her options.

What's there to consider? Free wear and tear on a rental car for 4-6 months seems like a no brainer to me.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
I also must have one of the very few Hondas that has not been recalled.

My SRS light has been on for 3 years. Drivers side seat belt buckle switch is the code. Was told by a dealer that was electrical not part of the lifetime seatbelt warranty. If I die due to lack of an airbag I'm hoping my wife remembers to sue for millions.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Last weekly rental I had was $300 for a midsize IIRC x number of weeks x number of vehicles...this is huge.

Honda doesn't pay $1200/month to rent a car. Probably more like $150/month. When you are renting thousands of cars, you get a bulk discount.

You'd probably get a 2011 Fit needing a new airbag for a rental LOL

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Paying rental for few months costs good amount of money but it is cheaper than having another driver killed.

I commend Honda for doing this, but I'll bet paying settlements or defending lawsuits would be cheaper than the rentals for EVERY Honda recalled...that's a lot of cars for a lot of days.

Good PR may give Honda a lot more customers in the future.

As you see right here, nobody is upsetting about the defective airbag in Honda vehicles, everybody seems to be very happy with Honda paying for the rental while they are waiting for parts. This is what good PR is about.

Last edited:

Paying rental for few months costs good amount of money but it is cheaper than having another driver killed.

I commend Honda for doing this, but I'll bet paying settlements or defending lawsuits would be cheaper than the rentals for EVERY Honda recalled...that's a lot of cars for a lot of days.

As you see right here, nobody is upsetting about the defective airbag in Honda vehicles, everybody seems to be very happy with Honda paying for the rental while they are waiting for parts. This is what good PR is about.

Um this is where punitive damages come into play.
IF you KNOW something is wrong and just try to pay off lawsuits instead of fixing something that knowingly injures future people, then juries and the court can make you pay ruininous amounts.

If you go down this path though, before it makes the headlines though, you have to fire up your PR staff and lawyers to spin the $100milion lawsuits as people winning "the lottery" and filing frivolous lawsuits and the snooty people in forums get back on your side. (E.g Hot coffee).

Last edited:
Got letter from BMW two weeks ago about airbag.
Considering humidity or lack of it in Colorado, we are probably at the bottom of priority list.

Quote:
The study found that 91% of people understand that product and safety recalls will happen at even the best-run companies. And even more importantly, 87% of the respondents said they'd be "more likely to purchase and remain loyal to a company or brand that handles a product recall honorably and responsibly, even though they clearly made mistakes that led to a safety or quality problem."

That's nearly nine out of 10 consumers that would continue choosing, or even prefer, a company that's had a serious recall -- if they company handles it correctly.

Quote:
And I can relate to that. I went from driving a seven-year-old Honda to driving a brand-new one within 48 hours of receiving my recall notice. The Honda dealership near me never fought me over getting a loaner, and I was in and out of the dealership within about 20 minutes. I'm hardly a representative sample, but all of the above makes me like Honda as much as I did before, if not a bit more.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/20...ter-produc.aspx

Our rental is making us appreciate our Honda a lot more. It's a "didn't appreciate it fully until gone" sort of appreciation. Can't wait until that car is fixed and able to be driven again. Still happy to have it and not staring down a potential grenade.

I wonder what the odds are of GM or Ford doing this. (sarcasm off)

Originally Posted By: HM12460
I wonder what the odds are of GM or Ford doing this. (sarcasm off)

If they did, I would have been in a rental since August or so last year.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Our rental is making us appreciate our Honda a lot more. It's a "didn't appreciate it fully until gone" sort of appreciation. Can't wait until that car is fixed and able to be driven again. Still happy to have it and not staring down a potential grenade.
What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back