Yet more Takata airbag recalls going out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT sedan purchased in Canada is not subject to an airbag recall. But as near as I can tell, it would have been if it had been purchased in the US.

Are the vehicles actually different or is there a different recall standard?

Does anyone have the same model? Has it been subject to any recalls (especially for driver's or passenger's airbags)?

We just got a recall notice for our 2011 BMW 328i. Got the letter yesterday, March 29th.

Crazy thing is that my 2003 BMW 330Ci had both dash airbags recalled about 18 months ago, and there are still no replacement parts available.

I hate to say this, but we had a family meeting last night. We decided that if someone is killed by one of these defective airbags, the family will sue both Takata and BMW.

For my 2003 to be waiting for parts 18 months after the recall is unacceptable.

Scott

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I wonder if the airbag can be unplugged temporarily to avoid it going off and injuring people? Seems like that would be better than having a live airbag with questionable materials.

Good luck explaining that to your insurance if you get in an accident.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
We just got a recall notice for our 2011 BMW 328i. Got the letter yesterday, March 29th.

Crazy thing is that my 2003 BMW 330Ci had both dash airbags recalled about 18 months ago, and there are still no replacement parts available.

I hate to say this, but we had a family meeting last night. We decided that if someone is killed by one of these defective airbags, the family will sue both Takata and BMW.

For my 2003 to be waiting for parts 18 months after the recall is unacceptable.

Scott

Agreed. 18 months is far too long for people to be driving around with grenades directly in front of them.

Automakers should be forced to provide rentals until fixed or buy the cars back at market value (kinda like Toyota's goodwill program with rotted frames on Tacomas).

If anyone's interested, check out Ebay for pics of used airbags from the recalled vehicles. If the inflator cans are visible in the pics, take note of how rusty they are, even on vehicles less than 5 years old.

For reference, I removed an airbag from a 96 T-Bird, which was made by TRW and the inflator cans are nice and shiny/brassy. Even though the rest of that car rotted away. Badly.

Shame on Takata (and Honda) for knowing about this issue for years and allowing people to be maimed and killed, whilst thinking they were driving a 'safe' car.

Why have there not been any criminal charges laid against Takata et al. executives?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I wonder if the airbag can be unplugged temporarily to avoid it going off and injuring people? Seems like that would be better than having a live airbag with questionable materials.

Why would that be an issue? If the owner of the vehicle disables the airbag and is the only person driving it, who are they gonna sue for damages? Themselves? IIRC Toyota was disabling pass. airbags when the recall first came out as an interim solution.

As long as you're not disabling an airbag on someone else's vehicle, or worse, disabling the airbag and selling it to someone unaware, I can't see it being a huge liability.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Is a 2001 Accord listed? Dude I work with has one...no notice yet, but he's worried. Even if it WASN'T recalled...is it a Takata?
Yes, it should be part of it.

Just thought I would share this - I know a guy who just had his 2005 Accord wrecked. I don't think he even knew about the airbag recall. Car was totalled and I think the airbags deployed, but as far as I know, no shrapnel.

This is in the frozen tundra called Canada however, and supposedly high heat and humidity makes it worse.

If the owner's car is impacted by this recall, and parts aren't available, then I'd think a lawyer could make a case for mitigating circumstances. Assuming the insurance company doesn't want to pay out for injuries in an accident that were allegedly made worse by a disabled airbag. Given how people have died from the airbag itself, I wouldn't think it would take even a "good" lawyer to present a case that airbag disabling was actually a more safe option than leaving enabled.

Originally Posted By: supton

If the owner's car is impacted by this recall, and parts aren't available, then I'd think a lawyer could make a case for mitigating circumstances. Assuming the insurance company doesn't want to pay out for injuries in an accident that were allegedly made worse by a disabled airbag. Given how people have died from the airbag itself, I wouldn't think it would take even a "good" lawyer to present a case that airbag disabling was actually a more safe option than leaving enabled.

[censored] right! I think it'd be pretty easy to convince a judge (or jury) that hitting your head off the steering wheel is much better than having shrapnel shot at you, point-blank.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
Just thought I would share this - I know a guy who just had his 2005 Accord wrecked. I don't think he even knew about the airbag recall. Car was totalled and I think the airbags deployed, but as far as I know, no shrapnel.

That's the thing, not every impacted airbag is a grenade. Perhaps every one of them COULD become one, due to humidity; but not every one is yet a grenade.

I have no way to find out but I wonder if anyone has looked to guess at how many lives were saved from these bad airbags doing their job as compared to how many were killed. That's a lousy place to be in, to believe that, in the event of an accident, there's a 99% chance that the airbag will reduce injuries (or even save your life)--and a 1% chance you'll die over a fender bender. But I bet a number of these are still doing their job just the same.

It probably is something like 99% effective, but let's face it, 99% isn't anywhere near good enough. 1% is a lot of cars.

So are we the 1% or the 99%?

Insert snarky rich vs poor comments below lol.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I feel really bad for the employees of Takata!! Long, long unpaid hours.

Nope. They makin' bank on OT. I applied to work there, but didn't have my HS diploma on hand and couldnt get my Transcript. The school district had called a snow day the same day I found out about the interview and started Winter Vacation a day early. Sucks.

I am always amazed to hear of "snow days" in American cities (and Eastern Canada). As far as I know, there has never been a "Snow Day" in my city, which is in the coldest part of Canada during winter (and the warmest in summer, with the greatest sunshine hours year-round).

Everyone is expected to show up every day of the school year ... staff and students. School buses run every regularly scheduled school day, snow or cold or otherwise.

Don't get me wrong ... I understand why they happen where they happen, it just seems so strange to me.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

there has never been a "Snow Day" in my city, which is in the coldest part of Canada during winter (and the warmest in summer, with the greatest sunshine hours year-round).

Warmest in the summer? But you guys have like 3 days annually with no snow, how is that possible? TIL apparently.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
It probably is something like 99% effective, but let's face it, 99% isn't anywhere near good enough. 1% is a lot of cars.

So are we the 1% or the 99%?

Insert snarky rich vs poor comments below lol.

Well... that's 1% of affected vehicles, not every vehicle. Still a large number, I know.

I'm not sure what I'd do if I had a vehicle impacted by this. I'd be tempted to disable, but given the 1% failure rate times the likelihood of an accident (low), I know I'd be better off leaving well enough alone.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I feel really bad for the employees of Takata!! Long, long unpaid hours.

Nope. They makin' bank on OT. I applied to work there, but didn't have my HS diploma on hand and couldnt get my Transcript. The school district had called a snow day the same day I found out about the interview and started Winter Vacation a day early. Sucks.

I am always amazed to hear of "snow days" in American cities (and Eastern Canada). As far as I know, there has never been a "Snow Day" in my city, which is in the coldest part of Canada during winter (and the warmest in summer, with the greatest sunshine hours year-round).

Everyone is expected to show up every day of the school year ... staff and students. School buses run every regularly scheduled school day, snow or cold or otherwise.

Don't get me wrong ... I understand why they happen where they happen, it just seems so strange to me.

We've had days canceled here because of cold. They were worried about kids standing outside while waiting for the bus. ??? Dress properly, not an issue. I guess though they could make an argument that not all kids come from families that buy good winter clothes (poor argument if you ask me, but it is one).

Some days I'm for, some days I'm against. If more of us just took the day off, it'd be less pressure on the highway crews, and less need for road salt. Then again more would feel pressured into AWD because they can't take days off.

Argument for a different thread, probably one over in the Tire section...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Is a 2001 Accord listed? Dude I work with has one...no notice yet, but he's worried. Even if it WASN'T recalled...is it a Takata?
Yes, it should be part of it.

Nuts. And heat & humidity make it worse? Yeah, that's bad! (The car spent its first 12+ years in northern Virginia.)

Originally Posted By: sciphi
AFAIK, Honda corporate is paying, or reimbursing dealers. Our letter said contact the local dealer for alternate transportation. Enterprise seems to think that someone who was not me was paying. The shuttle driver said he'd been shuttling people all day between the dealer and the rental lot. Our dealer had a giant stack of repair orders l, presumably for folks who were getting rentals.

Funny thing in the fine print was that upon accepting the rental, we are liable if we get injured by the airbag. It seems like it's being taken very seriously by Honda.

They had to.

It was reported that several people had been killed in Honda vehicles with defective Takata airbag.

Lawsuits and bad PR are too much of the risk that Honda doesn't want, paying rental for few months costs good amount of money but it is cheaper than having another driver killed.

PS Honda may negotiated with rental companies and have preferred monthly rate, which can be much lower than daily/weekly rate for average consumer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

paying rental fire few months costs good amount of money but it is cheaper than having another driver killed.

I commend Honda for doing this, but I'll bet paying settlements or defending lawsuits would be cheaper than the rentals for EVERY Honda recalled...that's a lot of cars for a lot of days.

Last weekly rental I had was $300 for a midsize IIRC x number of weeks x number of vehicles...this is huge.

Also, did anyone else notice that Volvo (ya know the safety company) is one of the few companies with ZERO affected vehicles?

It's kinda like they knew Takata airbags weren't good enough.

But that's purely speculation.

I should put my tin foil hat back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back