Yet another new law for the overregulated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Andy636
Over here is mandatory for all persons 14 yo and older to carry an ID card the second you left the house.

True, you guys are more familiar, and therefore comfortable with "papers please" conditions.

And Australia is heading down that path with closures of highways for a week at a time to check papers, blow in the bag, drug tests, and sniffer dogs.

Just because you tolerate it doesn't make it right to make it law.

If I want to carry ID, to let my loved ones know I got hit by a bus I can.

If I want to ride to the end of the street to get a litre of milk, I don't want a $108 fine for taking change instead of a filing cabinet of "papers"

I see the condescending in your post and it's like me being an arshole to you and saying that's how things should be in a prison
wink.gif

It seems that some people don't have too many real problems these days and just like to trow a fit at anything.

What's wrong in carrying an ID and providing it if required by LEOs?

Over here is mandatory for all persons 14 yo and older to carry an ID card the second you left the house.

If you get in an accident or anything like that it's so much easier in ER for the doctors to swipe your ID and pull your medical record in a second than just treat you like a John Doe and run tests on you for hours in order to determine stuff like blood type, if you are HIV positive, allergic reactions and so on.

Not to mention I would like to have my family know ASAP that I'm laing more dead than alive on a surgery table...

How old are you? I'm surprised that being in Romania, you don't think back to when the "authorities" used to check your I.D. and question/detain you whenever they deemed it necessary.
Do you miss the Soviets....or are you just too young to understand that losing freedoms, no matter how small, will eventually lead to more hampering of your rights?

Originally Posted By: andrewg
It seems that some people don't have too many real problems these days and just like to trow a fit at anything.

If you get in an accident or anything like that it's so much easier in ER for the doctors to swipe your ID and pull your medical record in a second than just treat you like a John Doe and run tests on you for hours in order to determine stuff like blood type, if you are HIV positive, allergic reactions and so on.

Not to mention I would like to have my family know ASAP that I'm laing more dead than alive on a surgery table...

How old are you? I'm surprised that being in Romania, you don't think back to when the "authorities" used to check your I.D. and question/detain you whenever they deemed it necessary.
Do you miss the Soviets....or are you just too young to understand that losing freedoms, no matter how small, will eventually lead to more hampering of your rights?

And how would you know anything about how it used to be "back in the days" in Romania? It was just like any other place, if you used to wonder at night you would get ask by a patrol to provide an ID, they would check your ID and wish you a good evening if you didn't appear on the "naughty list". Age related...I am old enough to remember tanks and APCs rolling under my balcony 26 years ago and seeing live gunfights in the streets and dead people by the side of the road.

I don't miss the Soviets nor do I crave for someone to serve me any democracy.

And how would you know anything about how it used to be "back in the days" in Romania? It was just like any other place, if you used to wonder at night you would get ask by a patrol to provide an ID, they would check your ID and wish you a good evening if you didn't appear on the "naughty list". Age related...I am old enough to remember tanks and APCs rolling under my balcony 26 years ago and seeing live gunfights in the streets and dead people by the side of the road.

Fine comrade. Suit yourself and if you think more government is the answer...be my guest.
Just don't ever get caught without your papers.

Fine comrade. Suit yourself and if you think more government is the answer...be my guest.
Just don't ever get caught without your papers.

It seems you know an awful lot about the red commie way...are you a member or just a secret admirer ?
grin.gif

Andy636...I READ and know a reasonable amount of history.

OK...I'd love to hear more...

Andy636...I READ and know a reasonable amount of history.

OK...I'd love to hear more...

I think Romania has a very interesting history....if a bit uneven and turbulent. It just surprises me, given that history, that you would be fine with more government involvement than less. Do you think Romanian citizens should also be required to carry identification at all times then? After all, the same scenario you were concerned about with lying on the side of the road unconscious/injured...could happen to a person walking along that same road. So why not require ID at all times then?

andrewg,
that was his premise as to why Aussies shouldn't complain about having to have photo ID or face a fine.

He's perfectly OK with him personally having to have ID when he walks out the front door or face consequences, and feels the rest of us should follow.

I "feel" nobody has a choice. It'll come one way or another.

I hate that I have to carry an ID aswell. Not because I might be required to identify myself (only ever happened when getting fined) but because I need to think about taking the ID and pay for it's renewal every so often. 60 euro fine for not having your ID on you here...

andrewg,
that was his premise as to why Aussies shouldn't complain about having to have photo ID or face a fine.

He's perfectly OK with him personally having to have ID when he walks out the front door or face consequences, and feels the rest of us should follow.

I don't feel you should follow anything, all I did was pointing out that having an ID on you is not the end of the world.

The "consequences" I face when leaving the house without an ID and refusing to offer any info such as: name, address, DOB or CNP (equivalent of the US #SSN here) when a LEO asks for it, are nuisance, lost time and AT MOST a $30 fine if I'm a real knob to the cop.

Nobody will pepper spray me, taze the living carp out of me or shoot me a few extra breathing holes.

Over here our only form of ID is a drivers license, you don't need to carry a drivers license to ride a bike. I hope this doesn't cross the Tasman. We've had to wear helmets on a bike since the '80's when there was a spate of kids deaths on bikes...but they are back pedaling on that one at the moment, and I don't think they'd bother if the cops saw you with no helmet. I commute to work on a pushbike, alway have my drivers license on me, and normally wear a helmet, but I can ride all the way there without going on the road anyway.

Silk,
re the helmets, there must have been the same spate of deaths in the UK and Aaustralia at the same time...or they just started reporting them widely to get the laws supported.

Always have and always will wear a helmet, but at the time (in Oz), it was clearly a beat-up.

A doctor in the UK noticed that not only did helmets reduce the number and severity of head injuries, there were less fractures in general...investigating further, he found that the helmet laws reduced participation in cycle commuting in particular.

Meta analysis suggested that the helmet laws (in the UK) will cost more lives than they save in that little bit of exercise spread across the population wasn't replaced.

andrewg,

Sorry....I missed that in one of his posts.

Hard to believe somebody is ok with being required to carry ID at ALL times....or face a fine.
That's how stuff gets out of hand with government. The people are willing puppets because they see it as "no big deal" or "it's for safety" kind of excuses.

Walking around your country....enjoying life and the scenery...should NEVER require you to carry ID to please the authorities. That's like them saying that they govern your movement...even to take a simple walk. A citizen should NEVER have to do this. Why should they? It's shocking to me that anyone sees no danger in this or a hampering of free movement.
Ridiculous.

Big news this Xmas is my granddaughter (9) has just learned to ride a bike yesterday...it's taken a while, and then of course, it just happens. She can't keep off it, came in just now with a mangled finger caught in the chain....bandaged and she's back out on it. No helmet, no shoes, small town with not much traffic. She won't be allowed to ride in Auckland.

andrewg,

Hard to believe somebody is ok with being required to carry ID at ALL times....or face a fine.
That's how stuff gets out of hand with government. The people are willing puppets because they see it as "no big deal" or "it's for safety" kind of excuses.

Walking around your country....enjoying life and the scenery...should NEVER require you to carry ID to please the authorities. That's like them saying that they govern your movement...even to take a simple walk. A citizen should NEVER have to do this. Why should they? It's shocking to me that anyone sees no danger in this or a hampering of free movement.
Ridiculous.
They'll likely support the mandatory chip implants that will be coming at some point. It's really the natural progression. If you think you should carry ID everywhere or face penalties a chip or barcode would be preferable to add convenience.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt
They'll likely support the mandatory chip implants that will be coming at some point. It's really the natural progression. If you think you should carry ID everywhere or face penalties a chip or barcode would be preferable to add convenience.

I'd dare to say that we are more than half way there since the phone you are caring around all day is so easy to track and tap

I'd dare to say that we are more than half way there since the phone you are caring around all day is so easy to track and tap
Yeah but a phone serve a purpose for me. My carrying papers for .gov workers to look at doesn't help me do anything besides get loaded into railcars.

andrewg,

Ridiculous.

You know, I'll bet you are right about this.

People will fall in line like they generally do. It will be under the guise of "safety" or "for the children" kind of hogwash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back