yet another "larger filter" recommendation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you match the ADBV and bypass settings roughly, nothing at all wrong with a larger filter. Possibly no gain either. The advantages are more capacity and more media will increase flow a bit. Unless you know your filter is undersized for the service interval (that's likely very rare), then the only gain would be a bit more flow... which again might not be needed. As a cure to a known, demonstrated problem, it could be a useful. Otherwise, IMO, it's a feel-good exercise that just makes the wallet lighter.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The little filter and the big filter for my Jeep cost the same, identical to the penny.

In those cases, you get to ride the big-filter-feel-good-train for free ( : < ). I'd do the same thing if offered that choice.

My only point is that agonizing over "needing" a bigger filter is often wasted pain because at the end of the OCI, even the small filter is nowhere near at capacity. There is a statistic I am trying to verify that most filters are only at around 50% capacity when changed... even with a "full" (I presume that to mean the common 7.5K mile) OCI. If that's true, it's pretty hard to justify a larger filter without some specific DP testing for your vehicle as used in your environment that shows you are at, close to, capacity.

I am in agreement with JA here as we have near microscopic filters on our GM fleet trucks.

I had lunch with a G team leader that works with our Factory Authorized Upfitter and he said it is still bigger than needed!

The facts are they researched it and you don't need the bigger ones except maybe in isolated cases. Unless you do the research to prove it there are no real benefits to a larger filter, just imagined.

The only benefit of the using a larger oil filter is that you can then service your car like many marine diesels are serviced, which is to change oil filters alternate oil changes.
I change my oil at 10K km due to severe service considerations, BUT only change the oil filter every 20K km which is the recommended normal service interval. Dirty oil filters work far better than used ones and the second period UOA should be better than the first, even though more old oil gets left behind when the filter is not changed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back