yet another "larger filter" recommendation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
im curious what oversized filter would be good for my car, the lebaron 3.0 sohc mitsu engine. uses mopar mo-090 filter mounts mostly horizontal.

was considering MC fl-1. or wix 51515 based on jeep threads from this site.

i understand my engine is not even closely related to the jeep 4.0. i worry about oil presure and bypass valves opening too early. any and all input welcome.

Stick with stock filter... or what u said will occur, there's a reason why the engineering people want u to use a certain filter.

The Mopar 090 (Wix 51085) filter is decent sized.The 3.0 should be fine with it.My 3.3 keeps the oil very clean with a 090 as well.

Head to WIX's website and lookup every filter you want to try and compare them all to your stock filter. Assuming the dimensions are the same (gasket diameter, threads) and the filter fits (doesn't hit parts and doesn't get exposed to dangerous places), then you're right, all you have to worry about is bypass pressure really. So, easy, check that the bypass is the same.

A large or small filter won't make a difference on oil pressure if the bypass is the same, once the filter is full, it stays full, so it won't limit it any. In fact with more filtering media it should pass more oil before going into bypass.

I'd just suggest pre-oiling your filter if you can, the extra empty space on a large filter alternate means that first fill of oil takes longer if you install it dry. After that feel free to enjoy the slightly larger oil capacity, filtering capacity, etc.

People saying an oversize filter somehow reduces or harms oil pressure are missing the physics of a closed-loop hydraulic system.

Last edited:
Your engine is nothing like a Jeep but your Mopar filter is identical. That means the filter specs are the same, so you can use FL-1A's or equivalent with confidence as long as you have the room, the specs on that family all directly match the smaller Mopar they are just bigger, which is what you're interested in.

Puro Classic 30001 will work...I use it on my Jeep. I suspect Chrysler used the smaller one for packaging reasons...the 30001 on my Jeep is a tight fit.

Stock is best. If your worried about stuff like this you should be changing your oil more often.

Originally Posted By: Jeffy_D
im curious what oversized filter would be good for my car, the lebaron 3.0 sohc mitsu engine. uses mopar mo-090 filter mounts mostly horizontal.

i understand my engine is not even closely related to the jeep 4.0. i worry about oil presure and bypass valves opening too early. any and all input welcome.

You're right, your engine has nothing in common with a 4.0 or any other Chrysler or AMC engine. Its a Mitsubishi engine.

Puorlator has a filter selection tool on their website, where you can enter a part number and pull up all the specs (thread type, diameter, length, bypass pressure, etc.) Use that tool to see if the filter you are considering will fit and if it has compatible thread and gasket sizes.

Go to:
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Pages/ApplicationGuide.aspx

and click "filter finder" then enter the part number (any brand). When the Puorlator equivalent pops up, click it and it will show the specs page.

Good filter, any with a anti drain back will work. By all means run it. I like the pl30001 filter good filter for the price.

Originally Posted By: boosted
Stock is best. If your worried about stuff like this you should be changing your oil more often.

Please explain, in detail, EXACTLY why a smaller filter is "best". Be specific.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Jeffy_D

You're right, your engine has nothing in common with a 4.0 or any other Chrysler or AMC engine. Its a Mitsubishi engine.

Puorlator has a filter selection tool on their website, where you can enter a part number and pull up all the specs (thread type, diameter, length, bypass pressure, etc.) Use that tool to see if the filter you are considering will fit and if it has compatible thread and gasket sizes.

Go to:
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Pages/ApplicationGuide.aspx

and click "filter finder" then enter the part number (any brand). When the Puorlator equivalent pops up, click it and it will show the specs page.

Actually, it has one obvious thing in common: they use the same oil filter! (PH16/M-090)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Please explain, in detail, EXACTLY why a smaller filter is "best". Be specific.

Stock is best! No need to try to out smart the engineers. If they wanted you to use a bigger filter they would call for it, why does everyone try to over think this stuff, like I said if your worried about [censored] like this then you aren't doing other stuff like you should.

That was not specific. In fact, that was not anything more than pablum. Yet again: Please explain, in detail, EXACTLY why a smaller filter is "best". Be specific.

I wasn't trying to be specific and I wont because I don't have to, as said several times now its not needed and if your so worried just change oil every 3k. This isn't rocket science here Guy lol, why don't you ask a engineer if you want to know? Sure they will have a good reason and Prob
Tell you same thing that if that's what your worried about then YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG! Jeez now go change your oil

As expected, you are utterly unable to offer anything beyond snide remarks and "it MUST be the best because it's stock!" I accept your concession.

And I KNOW why my Cherokee called for a smaller filter than the FL1/PH8A/30001: packaging!

Stick with stock filter... or what u said will occur, there's a reason why the engineering people want u to use a certain filter.

Very correct, as the engine manufacturer will almost always recommend the best possible oil filter. The only way you might improve on the oil filtration performance is to install a top quality oil bypass filtration system.

I did some research into different oil filters, including the high performance longlife versions for my Volvo diesel and came to the conclusion there was nothing available that would beat the Volvo oil or air filters.

Don't pay too much attention to all the filter advertising, as they always quote final (Very dirty) filtration performance figures and not the much more important initial (New) filter performance figures. Most people change oil filters far too early, when they are not working half as well as the advertising suggests, remember that with many filters more debris will pass through them in the first 10% of their life than the remaining 90%, although most folks are changing oil filters when only half full because of concerns over a blocked filter.

If you use a bigger filter than recommended, you will be stuck in the first 10% of poor performance figures much longer than with a smaller filter. Trying to figure out if you gain from fewer filter changes in terms of total debris that passes throught it involves advanced mathematics and it is further complicated by when exactly you change the oil filter.

If you can change oil filters without changing the oil, then the trick is to time the changes so that you change oil after the first 10% problem is over. That way you will dump the worst of the debris with the oil change. Trying to figure out the perfect oil and filter change procedures is one complex business, but I doubt if you will beat the manufacturers oil filters or their recommended change intervals, although you can sometimes beat the oil service interval figures with careful partical count analysis, but that is too expensive to make sense for smaller engines.

The real cool engine long life experts I know in Germany never fit a new oil or air filter. They buy moderately dirty air filters from the dealer and either convert to a drop in oil filter system (Nearly as complex as a bypass filter unit, but takes up less space and only requires one filter), so they can inspect and drain the oil filter so it is not changed too early. If that conversion is not possible (No suitable drop in available for most trucks), they figure out a way to remove the standard oil filter and change the seal to allow an inspection to be done, which is a risky game in oil leak terms.

Others resort to very regular UOA's to figure out when their oil filter blocks (Another risky game), for example my recommended OFC interval is 20K km, the manufacturers specs indicate it should not block even with an old engine before 30K km and most green orientated engine experts say that for an older diesel of my type in fair condition, the pressure bypass valve opens at about 40K km if the car is not subject to dirty air when the air filter in too new, or too much time at idle.

Last edited:
The Jeeps went from an FL-1A equivalent to the smaller M-090/PH16's when they encountered clearance issues with V-8's in the old ZJ's. Had nothing to do with "better" it simply fit when the FL-1A had clearance issues in that set up. They stuck with it for almost all Jeeps since due to convenience and I'd wager lower costs.

There is no reason not to run an FL-1A equivalent if you have room for it IMO.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
There is no reason not to run an FL-1A equivalent if you have room for it IMO.

I do think, generally, that your point is quite right. We tend to place far too much stock into the engineers' thought processes for when they specify a filter. While they certainly are concerned with having an appropriate ADBV if needed and flow and bypass pressure, "what fits" is probably the top priority by far.

Toyota went to the bigger 14477 (Puro number) for their 2002 any later Camry 4 cyl series engines. It's BIGGER. Fits the earlier ones perfectly, and has now been BACK spec'ed. Smaller is BETTER?

My Chevy Lumina 3100 SFI V6 calls for a small PF 47 and I found out it can use a larger PF 52 for about the same money. Both AC Delco. I will use a larger PF 52.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back