Larger filter = two OCIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Jeep 4.0 usually takes the Wix 51085 size filter. I can fit a Wix 51515 filter on it relatively easy, and the Wix 51515 filter is about 1/4 quart larger. I only go about 5k miles on an oil change. If using the larger filter would it be okay to go for two OCIs per every filter change?

Originally Posted By: Deltona_Dave
I would change filters every OCI. They are so inexpensive, why not change the filter? Cheap insurance for the engine.

Dave

A big +1!

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Sounds good. In that case its not really worth getting the larger filter then.

If it is the same price why not?

I use the discontinued Purolator L-24458 oil filters on our 2006, 2007, 2009 and 2010 Hondas. I do 3 OCI's and change the filter at 15K miles... if I am busy it will go to 20K miles.

As long as the engine gets regular oil changes the oversized oil filter will not clog nor will it harm the engine.

Originally Posted By: Provi

Does it mean I can extend my OCI a bit? Otherwise its just increasing my oil capacity, which may not be a good thing on an engine that sees short trips.

Does it mean I can extend my OCI a bit? Otherwise its just increasing my oil capacity, which may not be a good thing on an engine that sees short trips.

The increase is negligible and more filter media means less pressure drop or less of a change for the filter to go into bypass.

The increase is negligible and more filter media means less pressure drop or less of a change for the filter to go into bypass.

Will running a larger filter impact my oil pressure?

Will running a larger filter impact my oil pressure?

No.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I use the discontinued Purolator L-24458 oil filters on our 2006, 2007, 2009 and 2010 Hondas. I do 3 OCI's and change the filter at 15K miles... if I am busy it will go to 20K miles.

As long as the engine gets regular oil changes the oversized oil filter will not clog nor will it harm the engine.

I like changing the filter every normal length OCI for these reasons:

a) If there's a problem with the filter (ie, torn media, etc), it was ran for a long time in a failed condition, and you won't know until you cut it open.

b) You have to wait a long time to cut it open and see if there are any signs the engine is having issues or not (ie, metal debris, etc).

The Porsche 928 oil filter is the biggest filter with 20x1.5 mm threads that could fit on a Honda but unfortunately the BPV PSI is too high. If it was lower I would use it on my Hondas.

I run the big filter on my mom's 4.0, no apparent issues, and it's the same price as the small one (which I'm stuck with on my 5.9, as there's not enough clearance to fit the big filter).

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
The Porsche 928 oil filter is the biggest filter with 20x1.5 mm threads that could fit on a Honda but unfortunately the BPV PSI is too high. If it was lower I would use it on my Hondas.

I run a Baldwin B7042 on my Honda S2000, it's to big to fit on my sons '09 Civic but it will fit my daughters '00 Civic.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back