XM radio. Is it really worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you like/enjoy the stations and get the discount, eg., 5 months for $20 plus tax/fcc fees, 1 year for ~$78 plus tax and fees, (XM Everything plan) then it's worth it. Usually requires a credit card and auto renewal.

Two things though. Be prepared to play chicken with them. No discount, say CANCEL, you'll get the discount. That's what they did to me last time. Even if you have to cancel, they'll send you a lower discount rate in the mail later. I've done that too.

The other thing is, keep track of/remember your auto-renewal date, call a day early to cancel. Otherwise they charge your cc the regular(too high) rate for the days without the discount.

I'd never pay full price for it though.

Originally Posted By: wymi516
I'm on my third round of 5 months for $20.00. I really enjoy it and as long as I can keep getting that deal I'll keep it.

How did you get it so cheap? I pay almost that much every month?

Deep Tracks Ch 40
Classic Vinyl Ch 46
Classic Rewind Ch 49

Worth it if you are in the car enough.

Originally Posted By: stubbakatt
Definitely worth it, if you get the discount. I'm paying $4.66/month. There are just a few too many country stations for my taste, but there are enough other choices.

Too many country stations? There's only a couple out of the hundred + channels. Look at all the other genres like urban, rap, etc. with much more choices. They only have a few rock stations, too. The variety is not well balanced at all.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Definitely worth it, if you get the discount. I'm paying $4.66/month. There are just a few too many country stations for my taste, but there are enough other choices.

Too many country stations? There's only a couple out of the hundred + channels. Look at all the other genres like urban, rap, etc. with much more choices. They only have a few rock stations, too. The variety is not well balanced at all.

10 Roadhouse
11 Nashville
12 Outlaw Country
13 Willie's Place
14 Bluegrass Junction
16 The Highway
17 Prime Country

65, 66, and 67 are the only real rap stations

Commercial radio (FM or AM) absolutely suxx!

I have XM/Sirius in both of my vehicles and a Roady-XT hooked up to my Bose Wave Radio at home.

I rarely listen to FM or AM, unless I occasionally tune in to NPR to get a dose of whatever propaganda they're peddling at the moment.

HD radio? Who wants to listen to mindless commercials in HD?

Its too expensive for what you get. If I wanted to pay to listen to music Id buy CD's or downloads. Im not going to pay to listen to what they feel like plyaing. My brother got it and we are both not impressed.

Everytime I think about cancelling Sirius, I switch to terrestrial radio for a day.

It is amazing how so many stations can sync up exactly when they have commercials playing.
Classic Rock station: Commercial
Next classic rock station: Now a Top 40 station and is playing Lady Gaga's ripoff of Madonna or Talking Heads. Blecchhh!
Hard Rock station: Commercial
Next Rock station: now a Tejano and Reggaeton station. Commercial in Spanish.
Album Rock station: Commercial
Alt Rock Station: Commercial
Chick lite rock station: Commercial
Oldies station: Van Halen's 1984 album has no business being played here right after Streisand, but it will....after the commercial break.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

10 Roadhouse
11 Nashville
12 Outlaw Country
13 Willie's Place
14 Bluegrass Junction
16 The Highway
17 Prime Country

65, 66, and 67 are the only real rap stations

True. But of those country stations only 2 are even 1/2 way decent. I just think XM was better when they started out and have degraded over the years.

not worth it. I'm not paying for XM, onstar, $150 smart phone, or $150 direct tv. They try to get you hooked to pay these monthly bills for life.

To me, it really isn't a must have. My 2008 Mustang Convertible (which is only on the road April-October) is equipped for Sirius. Last year, I did not even have it activated (and it was on without charge for three months.) I may have it turned on this year because they have offered me five months for $20. My wife loves it and always wants me to have it turned on, but after I point out to her that we have an I-pod with over 6,000 songs on it (someone I work with downloaded all his on my I-pod) she usually quits.

I have serius/xm for free for 90 days in the new car.

I find myself surfing for 10 minutes until I just put FM on and find a song I like in less than 5 seconds. . .

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: wymi516
I'm on my third round of 5 months for $20.00. I really enjoy it and as long as I can keep getting that deal I'll keep it.

How did you get it so cheap? I pay almost that much every month?

I call the day before the subscription is over and tell them to cancel it. They didn't even hesitate the last two times in in giving me that rate. My renewal comes up April 2 so I'll do the same thing. I can live without it, I've got a USB port & a 6 disc changer, but I really like the XM.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Everytime I think about cancelling Sirius, I switch to terrestrial radio for a day.

It is amazing how so many stations can sync up exactly when they have commercials playing.
Classic Rock station: Commercial
Next classic rock station: Now a Top 40 station and is playing Lady Gaga's ripoff of Madonna or Talking Heads. Blecchhh!
Hard Rock station: Commercial
Next Rock station: now a Tejano and Reggaeton station. Commercial in Spanish.
Album Rock station: Commercial
Alt Rock Station: Commercial
Chick lite rock station: Commercial
Oldies station: Van Halen's 1984 album has no business being played here right after Streisand, but it will....after the commercial break.

smirk.gif

That sounds like the same thing here...

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Get a smartphone.
Get the app Tune In Radio.
Listen to whatever you want for free.

+1. I just connect my phone headphone jack to the stereo with a $3 cable and voila, completely free, commercial free radio. Hundreds of stations, way more than XM.

I had XM for a year or so before the merger. Only channel I listened to was 42, liquid metal I think it was called. It was awesome. After the merger they changed the DJs and programming. It sucked. I ditched them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back