XM radio. Is it really worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we have a new 11 Hyundai Elantra that comes with XM radio for free for 90 days. So I've been playing with it and listening to various stations, and yes, it is nice to have commerical free, but is it really worth it? I rarely listen to talk radio and I'm basically a 60-80s rock and roll fan.

It is if you can get it for a discount. Full list price is a rip-off IMO. Google for info on XM discount codes.

I'm on my third round of 5 months for $20.00. I really enjoy it and as long as I can keep getting that deal I'll keep it.

in a word.............NO!!! i paid like $400 for 4 yrs when i bought my wifes car, every time im in it, the ipod is plugged in

Originally Posted By: Hermann
It is if you can get it for a discount. Full list price is a rip-off IMO. Google for info on XM discount codes.

Hmmm....

Ch #40 Deep Tracks with DJ Earle, Pam, Pat St John, Tom Petty, etc., is very good.

Their 60s, 70s, and 80s Stations however, are too repetitious, IMO.

I wish they had a Beatles station. They seem to have everyone else : Springsteen, Buffet, McCartney, Pearl Jam, Elvis, etc.

Deep Tracks Ch#40
01.gif

Originally Posted By: Lurch
Ch #40 Deep Tracks with DJ Earle, Pam, Pat St John, Tom Petty, etc., is very good.

I wish they had a Beatles station. They seem to have everyone else : Springsteen, Buffet, McCartney, Pearl Jam, Elvis, etc.

Beatles royalties are too high. Blame Yoko
smirk.gif

If you're not in your car a lot, then probably no.

I bought a lifetime Sirius subscription about 6 years ago. Best entertainment investment I ever made. Makes my commute almost a non issue.

I have Sirius. I also drive quite a bit around California, Nevada and AZ. Even in Southern California where there are plenty of every type of FM and AM radio stations, I would not even consider not having Sirius. So many options. Sound quality is excellent. Reception is very good and you get the same great stations no matter where you are. As mentioned above, watch for low rate offers.

It is to me. Around here I have a country station that rotates the same 5 songs since at least 2000, a pop station that is also about a decade behind, and a 80s rock station that is so far away as to be unlistenable.

I'm thinking seriously about cancelling mine. I've had it for years and listen to one talk radio station (The Virus) 95% of the time. I also listen online when I'm at my desk.

Online listening used to be free, then they started charging for it. They just released a completely new online listening interface and it is terrible, worse than the old one in every way and drops out a lot. The head unit in my car plays mp3's directly from a thumb drive or nterfaces with an iPod. I don't really listen to much of the garbage that is called music these days and I already own enough music to drive cross country without hearing the same song twice.

I'm set to renew in a month or two. Unless they give me a significant discount, I can live without it.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth
I'm thinking seriously about cancelling mine. I've had it for years and listen to one talk radio station (The Virus) 95% of the time. I also listen online when I'm at my desk.

Online listening used to be free, then they started charging for it. They just released a completely new online listening interface and it is terrible, worse than the old one in every way and drops out a lot. The head unit in my car plays mp3's directly from a thumb drive or nterfaces with an iPod. I don't really listen to much of the garbage that is called music these days and I already own enough music to drive cross country without hearing the same song twice.

I'm set to renew in a month or two. Unless they give me a significant discount, I can live without it.

+1 i'm Siriusly thinking about not renewing mine either.

XM in the beginning was great. Now they have too many commercial stations and if you like rap and black music than there's tons to choose from. Country and rock, just a few choices..and they are poor at best. I cancelled last year when they decided to enroll me in "auto billing"...I detest that and canceled. I was paying a year at a time for 2 years and did not want to renew and let it run out. Well, 6 mos later - they send me a bill! Fighting them was like calling Dell customer service.

Screw XM. The Ipod rules.

Last edited:
Definitely worth it, if you get the discount. I'm paying $4.66/month. There are just a few too many country stations for my taste, but there are enough other choices.

It's worth it for me because I commute. FM stinks, AM is worse, and I rather not mess with an Ipod while driving.
I pay the introductory rate that was in place when I bought my car. Upon renewal I call and say I would like to cancel because I don't use it much. And of course they jump through hoops to keep me, and I end up paying the $70 annual "introductory" fee for all channels.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back