Wow...what a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
the silverdome is in Pontiac, not Detroit. Pontiac is about 18 miles north of Detroit. Pontiac is suffering too, but it is not Detroit. And U of M and MSU both have outdoor football stadiums so a dome is not critical. all of the seats and other equipment can be sold off

The Silverdome is 45 minutes north of Detroit. It might be looked at that Detroit is in some type of resurgence; and the fact that things like stadiums and other cultural structures (both literal and figurative) are moving FROM the sprawled-out suburbs back INTO the city is largely good news, with the unfortunate by-product of unoccupied suburban structures. Baby steps!

My family has a tradition of dining out on xmas eve and this year, for the first time I can recall, we are heading over the border to a place in Detroit. Also for the first time in a very, very long time, "heading to Detroit" actually means going some place within the city limits. For most of my life, "going to Detroit" meant traversing a tunnel or bridge, getting on an interstate freeway and getting the heck OUT of the city as fast as humanly possible in order to get where you're going... There is a palpable sense of optimism permeating this area (among those who allow themselves to experience optimism) as it pertains to the city itself.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Detroit is the rectum of the USA...

And no, I'm not joking.

The real wasteland in the USA is not in empty streets and abandoned buildings: They are symptoms and reflections of your choices. The real blight is in an arrogant, contemptuous, loser attitude; which is also a deliberate expression of quality-of-character.

The state of the Silverdome is direct expression of Triple Investment Properties' decisions. They do not see any reason to change things because they do not see profit in it, as is their right. This is the result of those decisions. You can call that "suffering" if you wish; but Triple Investment Properties are the owners of some private property, not the people of Pontiac, MI.

If the earth needed an enema...the rubber hose would go right about where Detroit is!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
If the earth needed an enema...the rubber hose would go right about where Detroit is!

I'd hand the hose to your English teacher.

EDIT: I wouldn't really. I just had 2499 posts and needed some filler.

The Silverdome isn't in Detroit. It isn't even in the same *county* as Detroit.

For reference, the Silverdome is in Oakland County, which is among the 10 highest income counties in the United States. Ford Field (the stadium that replaced the Silverdome) actually *is* in Detroit. It is consistently ranked as one of the ten best stadiums in the NFL.

The current state of the Silverdome is what happens when a team leaves an 82,000 seat stadium. Nobody wants that many seats. When it was last sold, it was practically given away at $600,000. It's too big and it's too costly. It's too costly to maintain, it's too costly to operate, and it's too costly to tear down. Nobody wants to pay for it and that's why it's in the condition it's in. The current owner (the one that paid $600,000 for it) has given up on it.

Using the Silverdome as an example of Detroit blight really isn't warranted. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of actual blight in the Detroit area. The Silverdome is just a massive white elephant and doesn't really play into the systemic issues of the area.

I've traveled throughout the U.S. for work, visiting a lot of industrial areas and every state has its bad cities/towns. Detroit just seems to get beat on more than any other place by the media.

I think in 2008 it was on the market for like 250 to half million dollars . Impo most companies and people move because tax laws change in a city so they just leave and know one wants to invest in a area that's has higher taxes and lot of red tape . We the people have rights to not just the government employees

Last edited:
An "urban explorer" trespasses on private property, then a UK paper, in awe of the US's relatively cheap land, muses about why we don't reuse the property.

Too bad old concrete doesn't have salvage value-- I recall the Berlin wall being ground into cement dust and reused somehow.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
An "urban explorer" trespasses on private property, then a UK paper, in awe of the US's relatively cheap land, muses about why we don't reuse the property.

Too bad old concrete doesn't have salvage value-- I recall the Berlin wall being ground into cement dust and reused somehow.

Haha! You caught that, too. UK paper..

Originally Posted By: gman2304
If the earth needed an enema...the rubber hose would go right about where D

...right through the D.

Fixed it for you.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
The Silverdome isn't in Detroit. It isn't even in the same *county* as Detroit.

For reference, the Silverdome is in Oakland County, which is among the 10 highest income counties in the United States. Ford Field (the stadium that replaced the Silverdome) actually *is* in Detroit. It is consistently ranked as one of the ten best stadiums in the NFL.

The current state of the Silverdome is what happens when a team leaves an 82,000 seat stadium. Nobody wants that many seats. When it was last sold, it was practically given away at $600,000. It's too big and it's too costly. It's too costly to maintain, it's too costly to operate, and it's too costly to tear down. Nobody wants to pay for it and that's why it's in the condition it's in. The current owner (the one that paid $600,000 for it) has given up on it.

Using the Silverdome as an example of Detroit blight really isn't warranted. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of actual blight in the Detroit area. The Silverdome is just a massive white elephant and doesn't really play into the systemic issues of the area.

Thanks for some clarification by someone local who knows a bit more than just spouting the standard rhetoric.

Originally Posted By: Al
And Taxpayers continue to build stadiums for owners who are worth billions and billions.

This I don't get. Its amazing when you travel some places and some of the fees on stuff like rental cars are for concessions and stadiums that visitors often couldn't care less about.

+100000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back