Wow Im Very Suprised At Hyundai They Came Through

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Originally Posted By: Carnoobie
Hyundai motors are [censored] anyways, they dont last. I have a friend who works at a dealer and sees quite a few hyundais with engine problems with very low milage.

And your about as dumb as a box of rocks...

Why? Because he made a statement you don't like?

No, because its one of those typical troll posts about someone who doesn't even own one, never had one, but is willing to state "facts" he's "heard" from some "expert" who's a friend or someone's uncles 2nd cousin on aunt ethyls side. Fact is, while EVERY manufacturer has cars with issues, I think if Hyundai (or anyone) made such [censored] engines or cars, I highly doubt they would be as popular as they are and sell as good as they do. Case in point, Toyota (since you seem to like them) VS Yugo. You see lots of Toys on the road but not many Yugos. Ya think maybe ones built better than the other? I sure don't see a lot of Hyundais on the side of the road broke down with those [censored] engines....

Hyundai's big improvements in quality have just come within the last 5 years or so. The millions of older Hyundais that were sold were sold because of their lower prices and long warrantees, not because they were well built...

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Hyundai seems to have done a more gradual upgrade and now is considered about on par with the Japanese makes. Even Kia deserves a look these days.

The jury's still out on that one. Until we start seeing 200-300+ mile Korean makes on the roads, which we are not seeing yet, then I still say the Japanese makes are better as that kind of mileage is fairly common with the Japanese makes...

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Remember that Hyundai santa fe i was talking about last week that belonged to a neighbor? It was towed to Hyundai because it was at my engine shop and it was knocking and leaking oil it turned out to be a 2010 with the 3.5 not 2009... It has 78,000 miles on it well hyundai service agreed with me and after speaking with Hyundai and a little back and forth Hyundai is putting in another motor for him! This car was beat on by his son but i guess either hyundai did not know or just wanted to keep peace but bottom line he has a loaner car and they will work on it next week i dont know if they are putting in a new motor or rebuilding the old one but they are fixing it..Smart move Hyundai now that is good advertisement!
Im Sure this kid raced this thing to the condition it is in.. Wow was i wrong when i thought he would have to go to court with a breach of warranty claim.

Hopefully there is nobody from Hyundai browsing warranty claims from N.J.for 2010 SantaFes with 78k after reading this post.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Sorry to disagree, but IMO Hyundai remains a 'second tier' carmaker due to the complete lack of chassis sophistication in their cars.

Chassis tuning is art, they should subcontract it out to other manufacturers with more expertise.

They are really good at marketing, though. Their 'bells and whistles' are enough to distract the normal purchaser.

Yeah I have never driven one of their cars that impressed me much.

Even their expensive one whatever its called drove like a 10 year old Buick. Which I guess is why its popular down in FL in the villages...

Sorry to disagree, but IMO Hyundai remains a 'second tier' carmaker due to the complete lack of chassis sophistication in their cars.

Chassis tuning is art, they should subcontract it out to other manufacturers with more expertise.

They are really good at marketing, though. Their 'bells and whistles' are enough to distract the normal purchaser.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I think the biggest selling point is still the long warranty period.

I can never buy a car that has poor suspension tuning and sloppy driver controls. (steering, brakes, shifter, ect.

Until the solve their handling and controls issues Hyundai/Kia are still an also ran.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Until the solve their handling and controls issues Hyundai/Kia are still an also ran.

But you know what is really impressive about Hyundai? Their panel fit and body gaps. Tight, tight, tight, and dead-straight. They're obviously putting a lot of attention into getting the body to look about as tight and perfect as they can.
But is that same attention being paid to the mechanicals? To me, that's where the jury is still out.

And that Kia Forte -- the Civic ripoff -- is one good-looking car, much better looking than the Civic.

Hyundai came a long way... Here in the State of new jersey the courts take breach of warranty very seriously and the fines are large..

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Yeah I have never driven one of their cars that impressed me much.

Even their expensive one whatever its called drove like a 10 year old Buick. Which I guess is why its popular down in FL in the villages...

That's funny. I always thought that our XG300 drove like a 2001 Buick Park Avenue.
It doesn't drive like you would expect a premium Asian car. To me it feels like a big FWD domestic. Quiet, floaty, and slow steering. Way more Buick than Acura RL or Infiniti M35. Not quite as bad as the Mark Cross edition of the '90-'93 Fifth Avenue Mark Cross edition. (but then again it doesn't have the button tufted fine leather and ultra plush carpet of the Mark Cross)

Yeah not my stile, Porsche Panamara or Alpina B7, or a 5 series with the M sport package are how I like my big sedans to drive. For the $60k they wanted I'd rather buy a 550I.

If I wanted to float I'd buy a real American car, something like a 1970 Eldorado.

The Genisus or whatever its called pretends to be a sophisticated European car, but doesn't have the chassis tuning, heck of even a modern Cadillac.

Last edited:
Agree 100%. The body panels fit properly. The first think I look at when I buy a car.
My 2009 Sonata is a pleasure to drive. The interior is sooo much nicer then the pre 2009 model Sonata's.

I agree with Hyundai quality being subpar until about 1999 or so. Just looking at cars for sale on Craigslist, you can tell the difference between 90s and 00s models of each. You see HUNDREDS of those 92-96 Camrys and 94-97 Accords. You see ONE 93-98 Sonata. You see hundreds of 97-01 and 02-06 Camrys and 98-02 and 03-05 Accords. You see dozens to a couple hundred 99-05 Sonatas. Once they left the Mitsu designs to the scrap heap and started mixing Kia and Hyundai designs together, they got way better.

I would without question buy a 2004-2006 Optima or Sonata. I would without question buy a 2002-05 Accent or Spectra. The depreciation hits them hard because they're "just an old Kia or Hyundai" but they had the good builds by then, so they're great deals. 2007+ Sonatas and Optimas have GREAT resale value, they're not cheap! But the generation before is rock bottom dirt cheap and worth it.

If you were buying a used $5000 car with about 100K on it to get you back and forth to work for the next three years, would you rather be able to get a 2007 Sonata or Optima? Or would you step back to a 2001 or 2002 model Camry or Accord? Personally I would take the newer model car, but then again I'm the type of person who would scour the earth for a clean garage kept 1993-1996 generation Sonata just because I like the older ones.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Yeah not my stile, Porsche Panamara or Alpina B7, or a 5 series with the M sport package are how I like my big sedans to drive. For the $60k they wanted I'd rather buy a 550I.

If I wanted to float I'd buy a real American car, something like a 1970 Eldorado.

The Genisus or whatever its called pretends to be a sophisticated European car, but doesn't have the chassis tuning, heck of even a modern Cadillac.

Better get with the current lineup. The new Caddy ATS I was driving is rated the LEADING car in it's segment over BMW, Mercedes, and Infiniti!

I always like to point out that my neighbor's new Genesis R-spec sedan can't even stay close to my 7 year old Chrysler. It is a terrible car dynamically, but it has lots of toys.

Originally Posted By: occupant
If you were buying a used $5000 car with about 100K on it to get you back and forth to work for the next three years, would you rather be able to get a 2007 Sonata or Optima? Or would you step back to a 2001 or 2002 model Camry or Accord? Personally I would take the newer model car, but then again I'm the type of person who would scour the earth for a clean garage kept 1993-1996 generation Sonata just because I like the older ones.

You get the same 6G72 V6 as the Chrysler LeBaron except without the Holley fuel injection so you have to take off the upper intake to do the plugs and wires.
laugh.gif

I had a Scoupe. I don't know that I would go back to it though. It had a nicer interior than a Mirage or Civic and was every bit as gutless as the 1.5 Civic (maybe even more gutless than the Civic) but
21.gif
meh.... Almost rather have a newer Accent based Kia Rio.

We're pretty impressed with hyundai. Been looking at a new Tucson AWD for the wife. We'll wait and see how she does this winter with the Mercury. If she doesn't like it we will probably get one in the spring.

come on the Caddy is a lot more money... I Love Cadillac i had quite a few but their engines put both my kids through college... i own a shop that rebuild's engines and first the 4100 we did hundreds of them used to put olds 307 's in there also then came the northstar they were good until 1996 when dex cool was used we did so many of them it looked like i was a used caddy dealer...The northstar was great in 1995 but 96 all [censored] broke loose with head gaskets and bolts pulling out of the block..
There are others after that but not on such a large scale..
By the way we were one of the first shops to rebuild the northstar!

car is still there he will have it back in a couple of days i dont know why it takes so long...We do engines in two or three days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back