Wow Hoppes really doesn't work well!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Hoppes #9 for yrs - it works great.
smile.gif

Quote:
I've been using Hoppes #9 for yrs - it works great
================================================

Since Hoppes #9 does not remove plastic fouling or copper, then please tell us how it works great?

Or

Are you a rifle owner that uses his rifle for a couple hundred rounds -- then loses accuracy suddenly -- then blames it on a worn barrel - then buys another rifle & sells the poor shooting rifle to folks like me on places like gunbroker.com - then I spend $15 on a quality solvent - then resell the newly cleaned, accurate used rifle for a nice profit to someone else?

I've been doing this for many years... especially with muzzleloaders.

Triple_Se7en,

Chris B. sums it up well: "I always keep my guns very clean and never let a build up start so Hoppes did a good job on my guns."

I like the Birchwood-Casey products, and always carry a can of Bore Scrubber when on the range shooting questionable reloads (father-in-law is not known for his precision...)

I've heard that the ingredient in Hoppes that used to be the workhorse on the tough stuff was the "Nitro". Exactly what the "Nitro" was, I have no idea. Supposedly, this stuff constituted a potential health problem. If you remember, the lable used to read "Hoppes Nitro Powder Solvent #9". Now it just reads "Hoppes Powder Solvent #9".

quote:

Originally posted by JJ:
I've heard that the ingredient in Hoppes that used to be the workhorse on the tough stuff was the "Nitro". Exactly what the "Nitro" was, I have no idea. Supposedly, this stuff constituted a potential health problem. If you remember, the lable used to read "Hoppes Nitro Powder Solvent #9". Now it just reads "Hoppes Powder Solvent #9".

The "Nitro" was nitrobenzene, also known as artificial oil of bitter almonds. Nitrobenzene is a fantastic solvent but HIGHLY toxic- it can cause symptoms similar to cyanide poisoning! And, yes, it was the stuff that made old Hoppe's #9 smell really good (it's an "aromatic" hydrocarbon).

I actually bought a pint of nitrobenzene a few years back so I could add it to my Hoppe's #9. No kidding! It works great.

Hmmm... I reckon that could be...

But there's black powder also. Somehow "No. 9 Black Solvent" doesn't sound very "markety", though. However, "No. 9 Black Nitro Solvent" doesn't sound too bad...

I use break cleaner on some of my guns.
It is bad for: most plastics, wood finishes and painted aluminum/steel.
It does not hurt: blued steel, parkerized steel, anodized aluminium, bare metal.
The good things about it, it's cheap, it removes every thing and you can get it at lots of stores.
Bad thing, mentioned above, it will stink up the inside of your house and it gets every where.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back