Would you use this filter? (Manufacturing defect, Champ PH500)

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
Dome end is caved in on one side. On a filter with a dome-end bypass it would go straight in the trash but I’m questioning this one because it appears to be a base-end combo valve.

Then again, it cost $1.35 and I have about 50 of them so maybe I’ll just cut my losses.
29C14ED2-6CB5-4EED-906C-1DBE0A7086FA.jpeg
D7F5847B-DAF1-4B0E-AF10-4DABD94B1978.jpeg

I've always heard these will "pop out" once they are used, and thus are not a risk.

But why risk it?

Probably rough handling at some point as opposed to a manufacturing defect.
In any case, we were told to instruct our customers to not use them, as dented filters wouldn't be warrantied. We'd swap them out, usually with a couple of filters added as compensation for their trouble. As small as the loss is, why chance it?

I cut it open. No cracks on the inside, with a little pressure the dent popped out. Probably would have come out during use and been fine after a couple heat cycles.

Wasn’t worth the risk putting it on a customer’s engine. If I owned a vehicle which used that filter I would have run it myself.

Will post pictures in the morning

Just one of the beauties of steel.
The "cavedome" won't pop in-and-out during service.

Remember, RA sent me a similarly dented filter and included a strip of paper printed with the message, "This filter is not returnable", or some such.
Since I trust RA with my life, I decided to install the filter and it's OK to this day.

If you’re asking, run it.

Make sure it’s a combo valve and that the filter doesn’t rattle. Ie the spring is still able to do its job.

Back