Would you upgrade to windows 8 for $15?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a new computer last spring. It came with a offer to upgrade to windows 8 when the OS came out this fall. I registered and got my upgrade offer a few weeks ago. It's basically a code to download it from Microsoft for I believe around $15.00. I think it expires in Jan 2013.

Anyone think this is a good deal. I'm basically happy with Windows 7, so what would I be gaining with Windows 8?? Thanks, Tom

It's up to you but I wouldn't, and if I feel the desire I will go get it for free online, just like this copy of Win 7.

Ihear 8 was designed for those little things people look at while they walk into telephone poles and in front of cement trucks.

I think Windows 8 is the best operating system Microsoft has ever introduced. I paid $39.99 for the upgrade, it is super

You have a newer PC so it may be a good idea. Not so much for the older ones. Much faster boot time and app execution over 7. If your a multi-tasker, its a good OS for that. You will have to learn new ways of doing things, so be patient. Kinda weird at first.

I think a better question is "Would you rather stab yourself in the eye with a rusty spoon or upgrade to Windows 8 for FREE?"

Still a tough one.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Not until service pack 1 is out.

What you would normally find in Service Pack 1 was added to the released version for distribution on 26 October.

I ran the pre-release version for quite awhile then installed the released version that I received from Microsoft on 26 October. Starts faster than either Vista or Windows 7, shutdown is faster, applications seem more snappy.

Had my color laser printer, ink-jet, and scanner turned on and it installed the drivers for them.

No issues with older software designed for Vista or Windows 7.

There is a learning curve but not all that difficult and many video clips are helpful on U-Tube.

A keeper as far as I am concerned.

I'd never upgrade. Why upgrade to an operating system that was only created primarily to interest the tablet crowd?

But thats me. I completely uttrely hate that Metro UI...

Wow...Some great comments, love hearing them!! Seems like were about 50-50 on whether it's worth it or not.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
It's up to you but I wouldn't, and if I feel the desire I will go get it for free online, just like this copy of Win 7.

I'm still using Win XP as I'm typing this. Is it good idea to upgrade to Win 7 ?

Also, where do you get free Win 7 upgrade ?

The only reason I went win7 at first was because some games I was going to play do not support XP anymore, so I gave in to the new layout.

Knowing this forums policy, I cannot show you or tell you how I got it for free, but I'm sure other people here know about TPB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: RiceCake
I'd never upgrade. Why upgrade to an operating system that was only created primarily to interest the tablet crowd?

But thats me. I completely uttrely hate that Metro UI...

When Windows 8 starts just click on the desktop It will look just like Windows Vista or Windows 7 for the most part.

I spend most of my computer time using the desktop in Windows 8 and not Metro but there are a few things that I use in Metro that like.

Heh, you wait. Windows 8 will start trying to force people to put up with the Metro UI. I know you have a conventional desktop still but its primarily there as a convenience and compatibility thing.

Plenty of "Apps" with Windows 8 will start deciding that you need to leave the desktop entirely to get stuck in a Metro UI.

Last edited:
For $15 if limited time offer yes I would get the license at least. Installing it another matter.

If you just browse the internet and read email I don't see a major issue in upgrading. If you use complex applications or games I would be a little leery and see how they run on the system before leaping.

I just moved to Win 7 64bit/SSD Drive from XP 32 bit and beyond happy with my work machine.

for existing windows xp, vista, or windows 7 users. you can upgrade your PC to windows 8 for $39 through 1/2013 from download on windows website. if you buy in the store, it's $69. regular price is $199

Just installed Win8 today. for $15? Absolutely YES! Plus, the Start Menu button & functionality is easily restored with the link I noted above.

I never thought I'd like a Windows w/o Aero glass effects, but this is really nice. MS did a good job with Win8, even if you live in the desktop environment (non-metro) full time.

Thank God Steve Sinofsky is gone from MS, he was the one who mandated no Start Button menu, made things silos rather than making things work together seamlessly.

I would not, If I had to pay $15 to keep 7 I probably would.

I've already decided my next computer will be mountain lion, though.

Windows 8 is the new Vista which was new ME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back