Would this really happen....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would this really destroy the engine if the cap was not on correctly? I didn't know oil was under that much pressure to shoot out of the top all over the engine. I once left the oil cap completely OFF my car, and noticed it about 120 miles later, when I opened the hood to check something else, and there was the cap, sitting nicely under where I put it by the side of the hood, nothing came out of the top, etc. Just thought it was odd.

Page Here

Last edited:
Not sure about your engine, but my brother forgot to put the cap back on his VW Passat, drove it 150 miles and oil began burning off the outside of the engine and the odor was terrible...So, it happened to him

Yup overhead cam engines can be a real mess without a cap.
My Chevy vans 5.3 was without a cap for 4 months not a drop splattered.

Wow, I haven't worked on an overwhelming variety of vehicles but I've had my share. My first thought was that it would be incredibly difficult to "improperly" replace the oil cap. But then again, I've been more surprised before.

Wow, for that many MONTHS and nothing!? ha, wow

Last edited:
Yeah the vans have a long neck so nothing goes up, the motor has 63k miles and runs like a top, if it had blowby it would have spit some out.

Also, what about the low oil level light? I think there's more to this story than what appears at first glance. She claims to have driven only a few miles for a couple days, then takes a trip. 30 minutes into this trip is when oil was discovered empty? Is THIS really possible from an "improperly" tightened oil cap?? So what, the engine finally gets to operating temp on this "trip" and spews all the oil out within 30 minutes without her noticing anything?? Yeah right. Walmart might settle but I doubt she'll have a case if it actually goes to court.

I don't see how you could lose a lot of engine oil out of a cap. The TL doesn't splatter a drop with the cap off. Interestingly enough, the GN's OHV engine will make a mess if it's run for long without the cap from oil flinging off the rockers. Still, it would have to be run for months, probably longer than my normal OCI to make a dent in the oil level. Now when I blew both headgaskets at 29psi boost, 2/3 of the engine's oil exited through the valvecover in about a second.

And allow me to reiterate: this girl is claiming that her cap was NOT completely off, just "improperly" reinstalled. To me her claim that all the oil exited through the oil cap (because of an improperly mated gasket or whatever) is far fetched.

Perhaps something else was improperly done, which brings me to a different, but related, topic:

People are often warned of places like jiffy lube and such for stripping the threads in the drain pan. How do you surmise they do this? Are drain pans really that delicate? With a regular socket wrench, it's not easy to exert an incredible amount of torque. Do you guys think that they purposely try to over-tighten the plug?

I thought about this before when my sister told me about how frequently customers needed new drain pans at her work (Toyota Service department). She said there were usually a couple EACH DAY! Given, this was a huge dealership/service department, but I couldn't figure out why it was so common. Wouldn't these quick lube places be aware of the potential to over-tighten and try to avoid it? I mean, do these kids have that much less experience than, say, the kids that do oil changes at the dealership?

Then I got to thinking: maybe they cause this damage when trying to REMOVE the drain plug. Maybe in a hurry or whatever, they forget lefty loosey for a minute and accidentally way over-tighten the plug while trying their HARDEST to remove it. This seems to be the only way to mess "some" cars up, but others are just fine. Because you would think that each kid must tighten 20 or so plugs each day and all that repetition would result in SOMEWHAT similar torque exerted on each plug. So when they occasionally forget to reverse the switch on the socket wrench or whatever, they end up screwing it up and they KNOW IT when it happens. Then they're like, "whoops" and don't say a word. I dunno, what do you guys think?

Can't see it happening the way it is described unless she actually means the oil pan bolt and O-ring instead of the oil filler cap and is just calling it by the wrong name???

I can take the oil fill cap off my engine with it running and watch the oil spin around the cams. None splashes out at all. I did that one time after an oil change. The 20W50 was coating the cams as soon as the starter began turning the engine.

This just happend to catch my eye..
"Then another car stopped, leant us a few drops of oil that was left in a bottle he had in his trunk" and..
"Bob the mechanic then informed me that the oil cap was put back on improperly when the oil was changed..."
If she added oil on the side of the road wouldn't she have taken the oil cap off? If so how would her mechanic know that walmart put it on improperly if she already had it off to add oil?

And if you confront her with that info in hand, she'll say, "oh, well I never actually used the few drops of oil, it was only offered to us."

I knew something sounded fishy about the whole story, and who knows what her motive might be. Maybe she was incredibly annoyed with a strange new noise that her engine made and she just wanted a new one. Or maybe she's naive enough to think she will actually get "punitive damages" or something like that. So she creates this problem in order to get a new engine and "free oil for life" as she puts it. Whatever it is, I hope she gets nothing regardless of what actually happened.

Originally Posted By: Fester

It is definitely an issue for OHC engines. The cam is at the top and thus there is a lot of oil pressure up there. I actually forgot to put my cap back on my 88 Ram 50 with it's OHC 4cyl and it only took a few miles before I was smoking pretty good. When I lifted the hood I had oil EVERYWHERE! She claims the cap was not installed properly which caused the o-ring seal to break( rupture )and the oil got out that way. That would take much, much, much longer than if the cap was just left off.

I absoluely believe it could happen but have one issue with the lady's story other than the cap not being completely left off. If she drove it that long and lost so much oil it caused engine failure she definitely would have smelled oil burning and/or seen oil dripping on the ground after parking for a while. No way the 1st indication of problems was engine noise. It had to have smoked and smelled like [censored] if the problem was caused by Wal-Mart and that much oil came out.

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading her post, I think her final statement sums up pretty much what this whole thing is about (i.e. don't shop at Walmart period).

A good friend of mine added a quart of of makeup oil to his 96 Corolla one day, then proceded to drive 8 hours from Houston to Tulsa without putting the cap back on. When he got home there was oil all over the engine compartment and seeping out the front quarter panels and up near the windshield wipers. Pulled the drain plug and less than 1/2 quart came out. Needless to say, he spun a bearing about 200 hundred miles later. I was impressed he made it for 8 hours on virtually no oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back