Worst Tires Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst tire I have ever owned was BF Good-For-Nothing Comp T/A's. Drive over 45 mph in a light rain and you were taking your life in your hands. Drove on them less than 4000 miles and tossed them.

Uniroyal tigerpaws
mad.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ALS:
The worst tire I have ever owned was BF Good-For-Nothing Comp T/A's. Drive over 45 mph in a light rain and you were taking your life in your hands. Drove on them less than 4000 miles and tossed them.

I had those tires in 245-50-16 size back in the early 90s on my old 87 Mustang GT, and even drove through one winter with them and was very impressed with them. I never got stuck, even in a few inches of snow, and even was able to cut 2.05 60fts at the dragstrip with them! They were super cheap too, only about $110 each (half the price of other performance tires of that size up here at the time)

Michelin XWW, hard as a rock, very poor wet traction. Michelin sacrificed traction for treadwear.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I had those tires in 245-50-16 size back in the early 90s on my old 87 Mustang GT, and even drove through one winter with them and was very impressed with them. I never got stuck, even in a few inches of snow, and even was able to cut 2.05 60fts at the dragstrip with them! They were super cheap too, only about $110 each (half the price of other performance tires of that size up here at the time)

It might depend on which version of the Comp T/A you guys had... IIRC it came in HR4 and VR4 types and I *think* the tread was different, but I'm not sure about that.

quote:

Originally posted by 4DSC:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

It might depend on which version of the Comp T/A you guys had... IIRC it came in HR4 and VR4 types and I *think* the tread was different, but I'm not sure about that.

I do remember that the ones I had were only S rated, which is only 112mph. edit-now that I think about it, the ones I had were not Comp TAs, but the old style Radial TA! I later replaced them with the Comp TA ZR, in the same size, but I had stopped driving the car in the winter by that time. The TA ZRs were very good too!

Michelin MXV4's came with my Elantra. What do the companies pay for these things? Pennies on the dollar on the hopes that you'll be stupid enough to buy more.

My first replacement tires were Uniroyal Tiger Paw GT-H's. Much better at less than half the price. Ripped the **** out of one and was forced to buy a pair of Wal-Mart BFG Excentias. So far, I like the Uniroyals better but they had to be ordered from the warehouse. The Excentias, despite a 50K warranty have a lower uniform mileage rating of 360 v. 420 (I think) for the Uniroyals. Wal-Mart only charged me about half price for the mileage remainder on the replacements plus threw in an oil change since they lost my order for a few hours. Good deal for a pair of tires that were pushing 40K. Will keep the front ones on for another 8K until I get another pair of Excentias.

Both of these should be better than the ghastly Michelins.

quote:

The 96 Corvette I got last year came with Comp T/A ZR tires on it. They were exceptionally good on dry pavement and OK on wet pavement.

Our Pacifica has Michelin MXV4s and my dad is very scared when its time to replace them. There is no cheap alternative for these MVXV4s. I looked at TireRack and they list many but they are all above $100. The MXV4s at Discount Tire....$182 per tire!!!

P235/65R17 H speed rated.

My worst tire were the Firestone steeltex that came with the Ford PU I have. No traction on any surface, on road or not. I kept hoping they would also be recalled in the U.S., like the Explorer's Firestone tires.

They are the first tire I really disliked having on any vechicle I have owned.

I put Michelins on and feel better now. I will probably stay away from Firestones for awhile longer.

Some Goodyears I have owned had poor treadlife but probably had a little better traction to make up for it.

Any OEM Uniroyals I've had on my vehicles have been crap. Haven't been real impressed w/ any of the Goodyears that have come stock either. I'm suprised by the BF Goodrich All-Terrian TA comment, I've heard good things about them.

The now-forgotten-brand OEM that were on our then-new 1978 Cutlass. BFG I think. Belts separated, tread gone in less than 5k on 2; on all 4 by 15k.

Worst aftermarket were Michelin Pilot. all 4 toast before 25k. held together and quiet, just no tread left. Discount Tire prorated and I/m now wearing Michelin Destiny. So far much better, noisier tho.

"Our Pacifica has Michelin MXV4s and my dad is very scared when its time to replace them. There is no cheap alternative for these MVXV4s. I looked at TireRack and they list many but they are all above $100. The MXV4s at Discount Tire....$182 per tire!!!"

hold the phone here... a Pacifica has to be the priciest minivan in the world. And he's sqwaking at the price of tires?? come on....

yeah, like bad gas mileage is why I traded my Lambo....

(don't misunderstand; I like the Pacifica and kinda wanted one for the wife but it was too much for my budget and we were kinda tired of Chrysler's "quality control" on our 2 previous Dadge/Plymouth minivans.)

It's another Michelin basher.. only this time my vote goes for the Cross Terrain SUV, way over-priced and way-underperforming.

Although they were OK in the dry, these things were dangerous in slush and snow. They had NO traction, even with 4hi on an Expedition engaged. When everyone else was stopping normally and gradually, I was into the ABS and hoping something would grab. Cars with any semblance of tread on their tires would pull away from me at stop lights like I had slicks on.

Oh, and for you "treadwear is outstanding on Michelin" guys, I got a grand total of 19000 miles out of my set before I hit the wear bars. Michelin said sorry, some tires wear faster than others. They offered me $100 off of my next set of Michelins, which will be in my next life.

MXV4 and FR680.

Both came with my first and second car. Both have terrible grip on any surface, wear like a rock though.

Best tire I ever own: Azenis Sport.

quote:

lol.gif

It's funny to note how nearly ALL OEM tires that cars come with are lousy in one way or another. Some are downright HATED, others are simply mediocre.

I'll chime in here and say that the OEM tires on my 02 Mazda Protege ES were AWESOME! This car rolled out w/ 195/50/16 Dunlop SP5000s and these tires were teh r0X0r!

The OEM tires on my BMW were Pirelli P600's. These were great (for 1992) and even could handle light snow, despite not being rated for it.

JeepZ14.0,

Quote: "Our Pacifica has Michelin MXV4s and my dad is very scared when its time to replace them. There is no cheap alternative for these MVXV4s. I looked at TireRack and they list many but they are all above $100. The MXV4s at Discount Tire....$182 per tire!!!

P235/65R17 H speed rated."

When it is time to replace the MXV4 Michelin's, your Dad may check out Toyo TPT Proxes. The MXV4's are a smooth tires. However, the Toyo's are a little smoother and a stronger tire with better traction and much less pricey than the Michelin's.
I have had two different sets of the MXV4's and liked them. I traded the car that had a set on it and I will now replace the Goodyear Invicta's on my wife's Lexus with Toyo Proxes TPT. I have communicated with others that have also used MXV4's and now are using the Toyo's.

Hope this helps.

GCrim21

quote:

Originally posted by kenw:
hold the phone here... a Pacifica has to be the priciest minivan in the world. And he's sqwaking at the price of tires?? come on....

yeah, like bad gas mileage is why I traded my Lambo....

(don't misunderstand; I like the Pacifica and kinda wanted one for the wife but it was too much for my budget and we were kinda tired of Chrysler's "quality control" on our 2 previous Dadge/Plymouth minivans.)

We were very lucky and got 10K knocked off the price. Don't assume we have tons of money because we have this vehicle. The Pacifica has had NO QUALITY PROBLEMS!!! All we do is pay for gas and maintainence. If you're still in the market, "Take that short drive out to Lawrence Marshall in Hempstead," and look at the 2005 Pacifica. It now has 3 models instead of two.
Base - 3.8L V6 210hp model
Touring - 3.5L V6 250hp model
Limited - 2.5L V6 250hp + 19 inch wheels and painted fascias and side panels.

My theory... TireRack is a baseline, add about $60-80 for getting them on the vehicle. It's typically how it works. So if we go for a good tire like the Yokohama Geolandars $112*4 + 80(worst case) then thats $528. That about what Discount would want (because dad always gets road hazard). That's a lot of money. What I should of said is he wishes there were a lower cost, high quality option like the Falken Ziex ZE-512 ($66 each) on our Toyota Avalon, which had MXV4s ($135 each). That's what I should have said.

quote:

Originally posted by GCrim21:
JeepZ14.0,

Quote: "Our Pacifica has Michelin MXV4s and my dad is very scared when its time to replace them. There is no cheap alternative for these MVXV4s. I looked at TireRack and they list many but they are all above $100. The MXV4s at Discount Tire....$182 per tire!!!

P235/65R17 H speed rated."

When it is time to replace the MXV4 Michelin's, your Dad may check out Toyo TPT Proxes. The MXV4's are a smooth tires. However, the Toyo's are a little smoother and a stronger tire with better traction and much less pricey than the Michelin's.
I have had two different sets of the MXV4's and liked them. I traded the car that had a set on it and I will now replace the Goodyear Invicta's on my wife's Lexus with Toyo Proxes TPT. I have communicated with others that have also used MXV4's and now are using the Toyo's.

Hope this helps.

GCrim21

GCrim21 - Thanks! I checked out their website and they don't make that tire in that size but they make the Proxes S/T. It is V rated but it will work. Who would sell Toyo Tires?

The following are dollar weighted...

Worst Normal Passenger Car Tire: Firestone 721 (1979).

Best standard tire: Yokohama Touring
Good tires for normal family cars.

Best budget performance all-season tire: Falken ZE-512
Very good performance all-season. Very good tire for sporty compacts. Okay in occasional light snow.

Best Budget Performance Tire: Avon M500
Better in rain and quieter than Yokohama ES100.
Tie in dry. ES100 slightly better turn in but stiffer ride. Traction equal.

Best Performance Tire: Goodyear Eagle GS-D3
The tire Corvettes should come with instead of Run Craps.

Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back