Worst oil available in your area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering what the cheapest/worst/lowest spec oil is that is sold in your area. The cheapest one I found was a 10w-40 mineral oil that only met API SF. Do you know people who always use the cheapest oil regardless of what the vehicle requires?

Many gas stations and grocery stores sell ND30 oil in Florida. Bumper to Bumper auto parts also has non-detergent oils in 10w30, 10w40, and 20w50 in my area.

That in mind, I only see people use it when their car is already a complete wreck that burns insane amounts of oil.

Anything with Danica Patrick's photo on the label
wink.gif

We have accel oil 10w-40 SF and SAE 30wt SA. Dont know if thats a "bad" oil, but not current api approval. Many, current and great performing oils are API SJ level - though only due to the phos additisation %.

Here in Botswana (deepest darkest Africa!) you will not beleive what people buy/sell here. All of the taxis/minibusses use the CHEAPEST oil available which is generally SF/CC. There is also a brand of oil here (no names) that does not have a spec. A customer of mine put it in a Single cylinder Lister engine which ran for about 4 hours before it seized. This guy calls me to have a look at the oil and it had the lubricity of water!
Also seen a spares shop sell SAE 90 GL 1!! Africa's not for the faint hearted........

A "Stop and Rob" near my house has Warren ND 10W-30 API SA on the shelf. I bought a bottle to use in my oil can for use as a coolant when drilling metal on my drill press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back