workplace discrimination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the real world in which the deck is not stacked fairly.

My brother works at a VA hospital and its a nightmare of poor leadership and incompetence. If you are a certain 'demographic' you will get promotion after promotion even if there are 100 qualified applicants.

My daughter works in a 'regular' hospital and has the exact same complaints. Wherever people are there will be conflicts.

The VA is an excellent preview of what's to come...

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I don't believe that we don't have US citizens to fill ALL of these positions, or at least 95% of them. This is a hidden agenda of multikult exploited through higher learning institutions.

People implicitly discriminating by hiring people similar to themselves with no consideration of other applicants? Well this is a sad new development, and cannot be tolerated! Perhaps the government should step in and institute some sort of law, establishing a quota of sorts for persons that must be put into these groups. I think that would alleviate your concerns?

A little update on this:

I have an American colleague who works for another lab. His boss is from country "XYZ". The boss just brought in a new person to the lab, also from "XYZ" to work on the same project as my friend. Then he states that there are now too many people on the project so my friend has a good chance of losing his job.

It's fishy!

Originally Posted By: joaks
A little update on this:

I have an American colleague who works for another lab. His boss is from country "XYZ". The boss just brought in a new person to the lab, also from "XYZ" to work on the same project as my friend. Then he states that there are now too many people on the project so my friend has a good chance of losing his job.

It's fishy!

More proof that we have lost our own nation.

It isn't just "fishy", it is tyrannical and criminal.

I have a PhD in one of the hard sciences and was a postdoc for six years. And I'm a US citizen.

My personal observations are that many of you have this backwards.

Americans actually receive highly favorable treatment with respect to admissions into graduate programs and the granting of assistantships.

My graduate program would offer an assistantship to practically ANY US citizen who applied to the program and met the minimum requirements. Even then, in a typical year when we would admit about 15 new students, maybe 3 would be citizens. The number of applications from foreign students would typically range from 50-100. They got the other 12 spots.

As far as selecting an advisor, it's usually the student who chooses, and the advisor usually accepts them if he has funding available. Some advisors are immensely popular and then have to pick and choose among the students who want to work with them. But I don't recall ever seeing a US citizen denied a spot in the lab of their choice if the professor had funding available.

On a purely anecdotal basis, I did notice that Chinese and Indian students preferred to work the Chinese and Indian professors, respectively. I think it mostly a matter of comfort/familiarity. It's probably similar to the reasons American and Chinese/Indian students didn't drink beer together.

With that said, my institution would never be confused with an Ivy League university. Those institutions receive hundreds of applications for maybe a few dozen spots. Their sole interest is in matriculating the most talented students they can find.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Originally Posted By: HardbodyLoyalist

With that said, my institution would never be confused with an Ivy League university. Those institutions receive hundreds of applications for maybe a few dozen spots. Their sole interest is in matriculating the most talented students they can find.

I seriously doubt that, our country is riddled with all manner of
racial favoritism thinly disguised at the expense of the most talented, this is especially bad in the educational and university systems in the USA. It is quite absurd really.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

I seriously doubt that, our country is riddled with all manner of
racial favoritism thinly disguised at the expense of the most talented, this is especially bad in the educational and university systems in the USA. It is quite absurd really.

But it doesn't really work that way in graduate programs, at least not in the sciences. The admissions committees are made up of faculty, whose ability to attract funding and therefore keep their jobs depends on their ability to conduct and publish cutting-edge research. And faculty aren't the ones standing at the lab bench doing the work. They need grad students with TALENT.

But it doesn't really work that way in graduate programs, at least not in the sciences. The admissions committees are made up of faculty, whose ability to attract funding and therefore keep their jobs depends on their ability to conduct and publish cutting-edge research. And faculty aren't the ones standing at the lab bench doing the work. They need grad students with TALENT.

+1, jives with what I've seen in the grad departments. No school wants to lose talent to another, and anyone with true talent AND a good work ethic knows they can shop around.

But there's no talking antique out of his cave, he's too afraid of the shadows
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

They need people with the greatest work ethic who are willing to work nights and weekends and have absolutely nothing else to do, so they produce.

It is a storm of two things... Papers, publications and degrees are often the metrics for academic grants. So people who are willing to work hardest are desirable. Professors know that the foreign kids are willing to work like crazy, and they often slave drive them that way. Some professors refuse to graduate students with quite viable dissertations because they want to squeeze more work from them...

But there is truth that the number of American students looking for these opportunities are not the greatest. One of my friends who is a professor ONLY hires American citizens because of the type of work he does. These things CAN be pre-arranged, and he has to start working the vetting process in the junior year to ensure to get sign-one that are well known and proven.

I have no doubt that professors pull in folks specific to their desires and selection, even if it is a matter of enticing them to come to the USA. Many professors get emails from students in other countries daily. There is an abundance of folks willing to work, it's just that they don't exist here in the USA within the academic realm.

I see this from the other side, as someone who is on the funding end, and hear/see the politics of university operations and what we demand of the grant acceptors.

Is this not exactly the same logic that a typical landscaper would use when accused of using undocumented workers as his hired help?

Originally Posted By: LazyPrizm

But there's no talking antique out of his cave, he's too afraid of the shadows
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Yeah we are all just over reacting to this kind of nonsense!

Quote:

From NBC News
July 15, 2014

Appeals Court: Texas Can Use Race in Admissions
A federal appeals court panel ruled Tuesday that the University of Texas can continue using race in its undergraduate admissions, a year after the U.S. Supreme Court sent the case back to a lower court. A 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel ruled 2-1 that barring the university from using race would hurt diversity on campus. The ruling came in a lawsuit filed in 2008 by Abigail Fisher, who is white and was denied admission.

"We are persuaded that to deny UT Austin its limited use of race in its search for holistic diversity would hobble the richness of the educational experience," the panel found.

The case went to the U.S. Supreme Court in June 2013. But rather than issue a landmark decision on affirmative action, the high court voted 7-1 to tell a lower appeals court to take another look at Fisher's lawsuit. The university said at the time that that decision would have no effect on its admissions policies. The university scheduled a news conference later Tuesday to react to the latest ruling. Fisher's attorneys said they plan to appeal.

White Americans are being discriminated against, repeatedly and often, it IS an agenda. One Susan Sonntag, or Israel Cohen would be proud of.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Is this not exactly the same logic that a typical landscaper would use when accused of using undocumented workers as his hired help?

Yes, and its horrible there just like it is horrible in this situation.

Some might call it taking advantage... Some might call it enabling people.

At least the grad students get health insurance and pay some taxes (or so I think).

The one difference is that there are LOTS of able-bodied citizens to do landscaping... The able-minded folks capable of doing the research, arguable... Id like to think so, but ??? Tough to find in some cases! Not a justification, and most unfortunate...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back