Wolf's Head oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sticker in the windsheild of my Explorer that I just bought says "Wolf's Head Motor Oil" on it. I have never seen this brand around here anywhere. The truck just came from PA though, so maybe it is a regional thing?

wolf's head is one of the old brands (since 1879, according to their website) and used to be made in Pennsylvania, but the headquarters is now in Tampa FL, and the website does not say where the oil is made now...

Wolf's Head was one of the original three oil companies (along with Pennzoil and Quaker State) out of Oil City, PA. It's just a brand name now with no ties to the original company (just like Kendall).

Thanks for that info G-Man. I knew about P and QS, as I'm from that state, but didn't realize about Wolf's head.

Without a total history, what happened to them? Same as Kendall's demise?

At one point Pennzoil bought Wolf's Head and then Shell bought Pennzoil. A little while ago Shell sold off the Wolf's Head brand to some smallish company.

Kendall ended up in the hands of ConnocoPhillips.

There doesn't seem to be anything special about it these days. The only large motor oil marketer in the US which isn't actually part of one of the huge international oil companies is Valvoline. Castrol is a BP brand. Pennzoil and Quaker State are fronts for Shell.

offtopic.gif

Anyone have a sound file of the Dan Akroyd line in The Great Outdoors when we mentioned Wolf's Head oil? If you do, please PM me. Thanks!

Quote:

Kendall ended up in the hands of ConnocoPhillips.

Only the name "Kendall" ended up with ConocoPhillips. The former Kendall refinery in Bradford, PA is still in operation and producing Brad Penn oils now.

I used Wolf's Head for many years ... in it’s day it was a high quality brand .. I used to buy it by the case from a local distributor .. At one time Wolfs Head was a major supplier to fleets and local municipalities much like Drydene (which was bought by Castrol IIRC) … The repair shop where I worked when in High School used to have Wolfs Head delivered in 55 Gal drums… In the early 90’s Wolfs Head showed up for sale by the case at SAMS club … our local club still caries it - 10w30 SM and ATF … Price is good but not sure how the quality compares to other oils these days.

"Only the name "Kendall" ended up with ConocoPhillips."

Of course I was referring to the brand name and not to the blending plant. It takes a really Oil-OCD person to track which plant makes which bottle of motor oil.

Wolf,s Head Motor oil was made in Reno, PA. A small town
between Franklin PA and Oil City Pa. The old plants still stands. I believe its not a warehouse. It on the bank of
the Allegheny River. Caught many a nice smallmouth there.

Quote:

"Only the name "Kendall" ended up with ConocoPhillips."

Of course I was referring to the brand name and not to the blending plant. It takes a really Oil-OCD person to track which plant makes which bottle of motor oil.

It's a refinery, too, not just a "blending plant." How's that for OCD?
crazy.gif

A local repair shop uses Wolf's Head as the "house" oil, so the brand is still alive. I'll have to get a bottle and send some in for a VOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back