Wix vs Wix XP Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
And much as you don't care about the combo valve, I don't care about the XP's efficiency.

But it's good to know at least one 'nobody' eliminated from the shillery.
grin.gif

I think you know I'm a straight shooter. If Fram Ultras, or NAPA Golds or whatever brand started tearing media or failing in some other way tomorrow you'd see the same comments on that as was made on the Purolator tearing spree. Brand name on the side means nothing to me, only what's inside.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I want all you guys to look at the hair on your arm right now.

A 20 micron sized particle is 1/2 the width of that single hair on your arm.

A Wix XP is catching 50% of all those 20 micron sized particles that go through the filter.

That's plenty good enough for me.

Not good enough for me ... engines don't like "hair balls". LOL
grin.gif

It also means it's catching much less of the particles that are smaller than 20 microns, the particles that do the most wear.

But you can choose any oil filter you so desire, and if you're happy with the XP then that's all that counts.
thumbsup2.gif

And an XP/NP using a combo valve is nowhere to be seen using google images either. As said, dome end bypass is standard.

I'm pretty sure the WIX XP 51348 that I bought early this year had the base end (threaded end) by-pass. That's the valve arrangement I prefer and one of the reasons I chose the filter. Also member CP3 did post a cut open WIX with the base end by-pass IIRC. The NP video certainly has the dome end by-pass.
It's certainly not hard to tell the difference, just look inside the filter.

Of course if you want the base end by-pass plus higher efficiency there are always M1 filters and Motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

grin.gif

It also means it's catching much less of the particles that are smaller than 20 microns, the particles that do the most wear.

But you can choose any oil filter you so desire, and if you're happy with the XP then that's all that counts.
thumbsup2.gif

Sub-20 micron particles in motor oil cause most of the wear in engines?

No, not in automotive applications.

When sludge builds up in automotive engines, we change our oil.

Capturing sub-20 micron particles in engine filtration is seen in over-the-road trucks trying to "remanufacture" the oil it its sump in an attempt to reduce the cost of oil changes.

So again, stop the hyperbole regarding the Wix XP efficiency.

If Toyota Camrys can go 400,000 miles on OEM oil filters with similar efficiency as the XP, sub-20 micron particles are clearly not a factor in automotive engine wear.

But now they are a concern in marketing materials for some commercial filter manufacturers and a few OCD-consumed BITOG zealots.

And much as you don't care about the combo valve, I don't care about the XP's efficiency.

But it's good to know at least one 'nobody' eliminated from the shillery.
grin.gif

If i was shilling i would have to be paid, i wish you would drop the non sense. If anything i am just obsessed with certain products. Not much different than other types of freaks we get on these boards.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
And an XP/NP using a combo valve is nowhere to be seen using google images either. As said, dome end bypass is standard.

I'm pretty sure the WIX XP 51348 that I bought early this year had the base end (threaded end) by-pass. That's the valve arrangement I prefer and one of the reasons I chose the filter. Also member CP3 did post a cut open WIX with the base end by-pass IIRC. The NP video certainly has the dome end by-pass.
It's certainly not hard to tell the difference, just look inside the filter....

The 51348 is a standard Wix filter had a thread end bypass, as it's clone Napa Gold linked here shows.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3357071/Napa_Gold_1348,_~5500_mi._oci_

The vast majority of Wix labeled/branded filters and counterpart Napa Gold, use thread end bypass with a few exceptions, like the FL820S equivalent application and the similar Mopar application.

However the synthetic XP or Napa Platinum uses dome bypass as the four links I posted earlier confirm.

But you are correct, thread end vs dome is easily identified. As is a combo valve which has only been blustered about and is nothing but unproven hearsay as regards the filters mentioned.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

grin.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Capturing sub-20 micron particles in engine filtration is seen in over-the-road trucks trying to "remanufacture" the oil it its sump in an attempt to reduce the cost of oil changes.

Go read some white papers on engine wear. Automotive engines are just as prone to wear as any other engine on the road.

You best call up WIX and ask them to make a more efficient filter first.
grin.gif

If Toyota Camrys can go 400,000 miles on OEM oil filters with similar efficiency as the XP, sub-20 micron particles are clearly not a factor in automotive engine wear.

Pretty much anyone here knows that an oil filter with 99% efficiency at 20 microns vs one at 50% at 20 microns is going to remove more wear particles from the oil. Have you did a study to compare the wear (by engine tear downs) in two identical engines using extremely different efficiency oil filters over 400K miles to say there is no wear difference to come up with your wear conclusion? Engines can get pretty worn out and give the perception of still running just fine. Just because it still runs well at 400K miles doesn't mean it's not worn pretty good.

But now they are a concern in marketing materials for some commercial filter manufacturers and a few OCD-consumed BITOG zealots.

Yeah, all the high efficiency oil filters invented and on the market are all doing no good and are all just "marketing hype". Sure ... LOL.

....I think you know I'm a straight shooter...

And I take you at your word as regards the referenced filters for shillery.

And you know I'm a straight shooter too, and this doesn't apply to you, but posting hearsay as fact doesn't pass muster. And just as you don't care the brand as regards identifying a defect, I'm going to point out unproven information if I note it, also no matter the brand. That's what I've done here.

grin.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Some people don't understand the Ultra is marketed to filter out over 99% more money out of your wallet!!

^^^ You get what you pay for, except for a few filters that don't perform like their price would lead you to believe ... like the XP (had to say it ...
grin.gif
)

Originally Posted By: steveh

grin.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Some people don't understand the Ultra is marketed to filter out over 99% more money out of your wallet!!
Well-considering the Platinum/XP is usually about $3-4 more, and the RP & EaO filters can be TWICE what an Ultra costs at WM (around $8.95 for a standard filter)-if you can stand to run one 10K or more, the Ultra isn't that bad of a deal. In my xB, since it doesn't always get run far enough by my wife & her Avon short-hop delivery trips in winter, I wouldn't trust a cellulose filter to last as long as a synthetic one does due to the condensate build-up in the oil.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I want all you guys to look at the hair on your arm right now.

A 20 micron sized particle is 1/2 the width of that single hair on your arm.

A Wix XP is catching 50% of all those 20 micron sized particles that go through the filter.

That's plenty good enough for me.

If I can buy a similar product that performs better for the same price...no brainer.

It's certainly not hard to tell the difference, just look inside the filter....

The 51348 is a standard Wix filter had a thread end bypass, as it's clone Napa Gold linked here shows.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3357071/Napa_Gold_1348,_~5500_mi._oci_

The vast majority of Wix labeled/branded filters and counterpart Napa Gold, use thread end bypass with a few exceptions, like the FL820S equivalent application and the similar Mopar application.

However the synthetic XP or Napa Platinum uses dome bypass as the four links I posted earlier confirm.

But you are correct, thread end vs dome is easily identified. As is a combo valve which has only been blustered about and is nothing but unproven hearsay as regards the filters mentioned.

So just to be 100% clear, you're saying that all WIX XP (synthetic media) filters including the XP 51348 that I have currently installed on a car of mine, only has a dome end by-pass arrangement?
I'm almost certain I checked that it had the thread end by-pass; that's the reason I bought it.

^^^ Those videos I have posted on the first page shows the XP having a dome end by-pass and the regular Wix having a thread end by-pass.

....So just to be 100% clear, you're saying that all WIX XP (synthetic media) filters including the XP 51348 .....

Ok misunderstood. You're specifically talking about the 51348XP. And think I know why misunderstood, unlike Wix, Napa uses a separate number for their Platinum filters, the XP clone. It's number is 41348. And since I use Napa filters that's what I'm most familiar with.

If yours had thread end bypass, that would be the first report not showing dome end bypass as the four previously linked NP's show. It also would not conform to the XP/NP advertised cut away showing dome bypass, but that wouldn't be unusual. So you're saying you saw a metal coil spring at the centertube just past the threads. Interesting, perhaps in the future you or someone else could post a pic at some time. I might even go to my local Napa next week and ask to look at the 41348 just to check it out.

In either case though, it's still a separate bypass and silicone adbv, not a nitrile combo valve. So it's still a quality design.

Personally I don't have a preference for either thread or dome end bypass, but I understand the reasoning of those that prefer thread. If that XP application has it, it works out nicely if you like to use the XP.

I will put a note here about a 41372 , I have a few put back for the rides here and this past week put one on the Ranger 4.0 for the first time. Have always had a bit on lifer noise on start-up with other filters ( MC, Napa Gold, Fram Ultra,) but now it is no more , Not sure what is up with that.. for the XP is made just like the Gold from what I can tell except for the media and wire.

Yes - we need to make clear that thread-end bypass is not the same as a combo valve.

My recent small Wix filter dissection posted last month showed a thread-end bypass, but it was NOT a combo.

Quote:
....Yes - we need to make clear that thread-end bypass is not the same as a combo valve....

And though the spurious combo valve claim was introduced in this thread as regards the XP a week ago, it remains as nothing more than hearsay. So my first post in this thread and subsequent follow up stand.

Just to update this thread. A comment was made about the 51348XP possibly using thread end bypass so thought I'd check out the clone Napa Platinum 41348 at local Napa. The 41348 has a dome end bypass as indicated in the Napa Platinum cutaway. While possible the XP version has thread end bypass, based on previous Wix Napa filter comparisons it would be very unlikely. Unfortunately local O'Rs don't stock the XP in store. However the enlarged 51348 on O'Rs site also shows no evidence of thread end bypass and appears same as the referenced NP 41348.

As an aside for information purposes, while checking the O'R site, the listed XP efficiency information is different than that out of Wix CS. And while the micron levels are different and thus difficult to compare, what is posted on O'R would appear 'imo' to be better than what came verbally from Wix. As said though, this is posted strictly as additional information, no reliability or support of O'R info implied.

As for the XP combo valve claim, after a considerable period of time that remains as unsubstantiated hearsay. Otoh there is now plenty of evidence in this thread supporting and confirming the use of dome bypass in the XP/(NP) filters. So as stated early on the combo valve use comment stands as erroneous hearsay.

As an aside for information purposes, while checking the O'R site, the listed XP efficiency information is different than that out of Wix CS. And while the micron levels are different and thus difficult to compare, what is posted on O'R would appear 'imo' to be better than what came verbally from Wix. As said though, this is posted strictly as additional information, no reliability or support of O'R info implied.

So I take it there is no efficiency printed on the XP's box (?). I doubt O'R's tech info is more accurate than WIX's on efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back