Wix vs. Mann Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing an oil change on a 07 Jetta 2.5. Are WIX filters as good as Mann? Noticed that filters form STP, Purolator and Fram all look identical to the Mann and say "Made in Germany". Are these filters made by Mann and just rebranded for sale here in the states? Any info is much appreciated!

What is the filter like on this engine? Is it a typical spin on or cartridge type? I thought I heard something where a special tool was required to perform an oil change on these engines...I am probably mistaken though.

Originally Posted By: vegasmac
Noticed that filters form STP, Purolator and Fram all look identical to the Mann and say "Made in Germany". Are these filters made by Mann and just rebranded for sale here in the states? Any info is much appreciated!

I think the STP filters are made by Fram, but no way the Purolators are made by Fram or even look like the Fram, as far as I've seen.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

I think the STP filters are made by Fram, but no way the Purolators are made by Fram or even look like the Fram, as far as I've seen.

Just about every filter maker buys some of their part numbers from outside suppliers in order to fill out the lineup. The Jetta filter in question here is a cartridge type filter very unlike the typical spin-on filter. Oddly enough, the industry was once almost all cartridge type filters, but that switched over in the 1960s to the more convenient, yet also more wasteful, spin-on type. Most of the Euro cars have gone back to cartridges. It is quite possible that STP, Purolator and Fram could all be buying this part number from Mann and reselling it. Happens all the time.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

Just about every filter maker buys some of their part numbers from outside suppliers in order to fill out the lineup. The Jetta filter in question here is a cartridge type filter very unlike the typical spin-on filter. Oddly enough, the industry was once almost all cartridge type filters, but that switched over in the 1960s to the more convenient, yet also more wasteful, spin-on type. Most of the Euro cars have gone back to cartridges. It is quite possible that STP, Purolator and Fram could all be buying this part number from Mann and reselling it. Happens all the time.

Maybe true in the cartridge filter world, but I just looked at Mobil 1, K&N, Fram, STP, Bosch and Purolator all side-by-side at the local parts store the other day. These were spin-on filters. The Fram and STP were the same, the Purolator and Bosch were the same, and the Mobil 1 and K&N were the same. But in the spin-on world, the Fram and Purolator aren't even in the same zip code.

At one time, I actually bought orange boxes with cartridge elements labeled Perlux in them. The only Frams I bought since cutting an orange can open.

STP used to be made by Champ. Look inside a spin on for the tell tale Ecore black plastic cage.

Quote:

Maybe true in the cartridge filter world, but I just looked at Mobil 1, K&N, Fram, STP, Bosch and Purolator all side-by-side at the local parts store the other day. These were spin-on filters. The Fram and STP were the same, the Purolator and Bosch were the same, and the Mobil 1 and K&N were the same. But in the spin-on world, the Fram and Purolator aren't even in the same zip code.

Not Always,

When the Jaguar AJV8 was introduced EVERY filter manufacturer outsourced to Mann except for the Jaguar branded filter ( I believe they were made by Cromley?).

I have in my possesion Fram, Motorcraft, Wix, Purolator and Orielley Microguard filters and they are identical, all made in Germany, with Mann baseplates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back