Wix efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't particular disagree with that except it seems that the filter council link says nominal is generally understood to mean at 50% efficiency.

Quote:
The two most popular reported media ratings are a nominal micron rating (50%)
and an absolute micron rating (98.7%)

The nominal might be single pass but still WIX lists 21 microns for all their filters.

I don't think it matters that WIX markets primarily to the aftermarket service industry. The aftermarket service industry doesn't always have the best quality and value. Purolator and ACdelco for instance market to both consumers and the service industry and I don't think that takes anything away from their products. I agree there is a lot of marketing involved with efficiency, but no matter how you slice it WIX filters are not very efficient.

Everyone can decide for themself how much efficiency matters and whether the construction is that much better in a WIX over Purolator.

Quote:
Purolator and ACdelco for instance market to both consumers and the service industry and I don't think that takes anything away from their products

Hmm..sorta. I would say that Champ and Purolator make OEM aftermarket filters as well as their signature brand. Champ probably wearing more labels than Purolator as well as being a maker of assembly line filters.

I have yet to see a Champ commercial ..or a Champ sponsored car.

I don't think that I implied that this takes anything away from either (any/or) filter company's offering in comparative value ..nor did I imply that there's any lessened "merchantability" with their products.

I simply stated that they're head to head in consumer based perception and are totally geared to getting distinction to set them apart in a highly competitive real estate war for shelf space. Often in the same store ..and against the orange wall of whatever.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
... it seems that the filter council link says nominal is generally understood to mean at 50% efficiency.

Quote:
The two most popular reported media ratings are a nominal micron rating (50%)
and an absolute micron rating (98.7%)

That's how I read it too.

Continue reading.....

Fortunately, there now
exists a test procedure called multi-pass testing or Beta ratio testing (β) which is,
a universally accepted test method that yields readily comparable test results.
Multi-pass testing has been recognized by SAE (SAE J1858), ISO (ISO 4548-12,
lube oil and ISO16889, hydraulic or fuel), ANSI (American National Standards
Institute) and NFPA (National Fluid Power Association).

When you see a beta number, it is not nominal ..even if it's 50% when expressed as Beta 2.

Comparing advertised and published beta ratios and efficiency numbers is interesting, but I really don't trust that we are seeing a true "apples to apples" comparison. It is too easy to play with the language and the testing procedures. Hopefully someday we will get an independent testing agency to use scientific methods to compare filters. In the meantime I have my own criteria I used to choose PureOnes: they appear to be well designed and built, I like the slippery red coating on the gasket, they have a silicone ADBV which is good in several of my applications, from published ratings they appear to be at least as good at filtering as anything out there, they are much easier to obtain (for me) than Wix or NAPA, I like the grippy surface, they are cheaper than other "premium" filters like Fram Extended, NAPA Gold, Wix, or Amsoil, they are made in the USA. Of course at the moment I'm using a Motorcraft FL820S on my Grand Marquis because it was easy for me to pick up one at WalMart, and it is made by Purolator so I suspect it may have decent efficiency. Though I think I'm going to switch to a PureOne at the next OCI.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Continue reading.....

Fortunately, there now
exists a test procedure called multi-pass testing or Beta ratio testing (β) which is,
a universally accepted test method that yields readily comparable test results.
Multi-pass testing has been recognized by SAE (SAE J1858), ISO (ISO 4548-12,
lube oil and ISO16889, hydraulic or fuel), ANSI (American National Standards
Institute) and NFPA (National Fluid Power Association).

When you see a beta number, it is not nominal ..even if it's 50% when expressed as Beta 2.

But before that it's stated nominal is at beta 2 or 50%. And if all beta testing is multi-pass, then nominal is the micron size that the filter is beta 2 at with multipass. If beta is multi-pass and nominal is beta 2 (50%), then how is nominal micron rating single-pass?

If they are the right part number for the engine and you already have them why not run them? I don't think WIX are bad filters at all. All I was saying it seems like if you were going to buy a filter Purolators are a better value.

I have the Wix 51515R's, Pureones and some K&N's. Knowing that the Wix racing filters have a nominal micron rating of 61, i just wanted to make sure that these filtered the oil good enough for street applications(I know it states race apps only). These cars are only driven 300-500 miles per year and the oil is changed yearly.

It's hard to say since these are WIX low efficiency race filters. I think what it is they are not intended for short trip and lots of driving. I think since you are only driving a few hundred miles and changing oil regularly they will be OK. Maybe run them up to 1 year 500 miles?

You're refreshing the sump before anything of merit can accumulate. You're gonna catch anything destructive (not to be confused with wear increasing). You wouldn't use these filters on a daily driver.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
You're refreshing the sump before anything of merit can accumulate. You're gonna catch anything destructive (not to be confused with wear increasing). You wouldn't use these filters on a daily driver.

I agree about using these on a daily driver. It is a Boss 302 and I do not drive it very much. Thanks.

kemo said:
so... to translate...

2/20=6/20:

50% @ 6u
95% @ 20u? [/quote ]

Correct.

Here's a table that shows what Beta Ratio is what Efficiency %

Beta Ratio -- Eff %

2 -- 50.00
5 -- 80.00
10 -- 90.00
15 -- 93.33