Wix "Ecolast" filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this when I was gonna look up some filter on wix's site. They have a new HD filter called Ecolast they claim will double your oci. I thought you guy might fin it interesting.

Quote:
How does ecoLAST work?
ecoLAST captures soot and dirt like a traditional heavy-duty filter. However, it maintains viscosity and oxidation with a unique and peerless design. Its patented cellulose/polyester media has been specially treated to sequester the acids in the oil, keeping the additives in the oil package fresh.

What are the benefits of ecoLAST oil filters?

Double the oil drain interval (based on fleet-specific oil analysis data)
Slow total base number (TBN) depletion rate
Slow total acid number (TAN) rate of increase
Deliver measured improvements to:
ZnDDP (anti-wear/anti-oxidant additive) life
Oxidation
Rubbing wear
Cause no adverse impact on:
Viscosity
Corrosive wear
Maintain structural integrity of the filter throughout its life
Reduce downtime
Assist in Green Fleet Certification
Keep the additives package fresh
Install with ease (direct replacement filter)
Reduce emissions
Save your fleet up to $200 per vehicle, per year

http://www.ecolast.com/frequently-asked-questions.php

I am certainly not a expert on oil filters or anything but I also looked at those filters online at the wix website. My first thought was that it reminded me of the Fram High Mileage filter with its time release gel. Not trying to compare Fram to Wix or anything just my thoughts.

Originally Posted By: FFeng7
I am certainly not a expert on oil filters or anything but I also looked at those filters online at the wix website. My first thought was that it reminded me of the Fram High Mileage filter with its time release gel. Not trying to compare Fram to Wix or anything just my thoughts.

My thoughts exactly. Probably the same stuff my FRAM puts in the HM filter, except it is imbedded in the filter media instead.

FRAM should sue wix for stealing their idea.

Sounds truly revolutionary!

Too bad these are only available for large commercial trucks at the present time. Maybe if all goes well they will eventually adapt the technology to personal-size vehicles.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed...

Originally Posted By: Ken_W

Too bad these are only available for large commercial trucks at the present time. Maybe if all goes well they will eventually adapt the technology to personal-size vehicles.

If you want one that bad, just buy a FRAM High Mileage oil filter. Same thing.

Have we seen a Fram High Mileage filter cut up yet? (I couldn't find one) How are they constructed compared to their brother, the infamous OCOD?

I don't bash Fram anymore. But I do trust Wix to make a filter that is, in general, more well-constructed. At least for the same price-point.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
Have we seen a Fram High Mileage filter cut up yet? (I couldn't find one) How are they constructed compared to their brother, the infamous OCOD? ...

Same construction and specs as an orange can, but it has a plastic dispensing device in the center tube filled with an oil additive gel (secret sauce).

I couldn't find any new ones cut open here on BITOG, but here's a used one:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1661365

and a YouTube video with clearer pictures of the innards:

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
Originally Posted By: Ken_W

If you want one that bad, just buy a FRAM High Mileage oil filter. Same thing.

And you know its the same thing from...what? If you look at the extended FAQ, it specifically mentions it is NOT a slow release additive.
Quote:
How does ecoLAST work?
The short answer is that ecoLAST oil filters capture dirt and soot like a traditional filter,
while utilizing media to sequester the acids in the oil. Slowing the total acid number
(TAN) rate of increase and the total base number (TBN) depletion rate are critical
components in maintaining oil quality and safely lengthening oil change intervals.
Current extended drain technologies such as time-release additives, sacrificial elements,
on-board refining and bypass filtration are all limited by buildup of acidity levels. The
proprietary filtration media in ecoLAST, which has no similar competition on the market,
does not rely on slow-release technology.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
ecolast - how expensive

You'd have to talk to your friendly Wix representative about that... but don't bother unless you need one of the filters mentioned for these engines:

Originally Posted By: Wix
What applications will ecoLAST be available for?
WIX plans to make ecoLAST available for heavy-duty over-the-road applications. The first filters include the following part numbers/applications:
57745: Cummins ISX (February 2011)
51748: Cummins M11 (March 2011)
51791: Mack MP8 (March 2011)
51971: Detroit DD60 (March 2011)
51792: CAT C13&15 (April 2011)

Nit picking to be sure, but nice way to end a sentence with a preposition, Wix.

The FRAM HM has a time release gel.

This WIX is talking about a media that is treated so when the oil passes through it neutralizes acid.

I think it's a neat idea.

450 million filters are sold and thrown away in the US every year. The non cartridge filters contain used oil.

Anything that reduces that is a good idea.

Originally Posted By: KevGuy

My thoughts exactly. Probably the same stuff my FRAM puts in the HM filter, except it is imbedded in the filter media instead.

FRAM should sue wix for stealing their idea.

You do not patent "ideas" you patent the technology for that idea either as a design patent or process patent. These are two different technologies and two different processes.

Nothing to sue over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back