Wix 57060 [Cut Open]

Status
Not open for further replies.
i use the purolator L12222 version/competitor version of this filter on my 2008 Dodge caliber 2.0L engine. and i use the AutoXtra/Napa proselect-built by Wix at same good quality

stay away from FRAM or STP

You have the same filter cutter that I do! When I cut my filters open, I disassemble the element by tearing off the end caps, one pleat at a time. Just looking at the outside of the pleats doesn't show what the filter has caught. You need to look at the bases of the pleats. After I have the element cut loose from the end caps, I spray the element, which is about 10 feet long, with a can of brake cleaner and catch everything that comes off in a clean pan. Then I wait for the brake clean to evaporate, and inspect the debris.

Last edited:
Great looking cutout. GM made their OLM based on using AC-Delco filters. Ecore or not. I feel comfortable putting a delco in there but I do agree that a higher quality filter (wix,P1) does give a fuzzy feeling :p

Quote:
Total mileage on the oil (Mobil 1 5w-30) was 13,504 miles. Oil analysis was done when the oil was changed and came back that the oil was in good shape.

Some think I am crazy for using an over-sized Purolator Classic oil filter on my Civic for 20K miles (3 OCI's).
If the engine is clean to begin with there is really worry.

^^^^I don't think you are "crazy" for running a Classic 3 oci's (20k), but I do question the cost benefit. For $3.27 from Wally not much gain imo. I assume your oversize is L14459.

Now, not sure what year Civic it is but the location of the filter on some (cabin side of engine) does make accessing it somewhat of a pain. If that is the primary reason, then it is a bit more understandable.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Some think I am crazy for using an over-sized Purolator Classic oil filter on my Civic for 20K miles (3 OCI's). If the engine is clean to begin with there is really worry.

If I was running a filter that long, I'd spend a couple more bucks and get the PureOne because it has a silicone ADBV which wouldn't degrade from the long heat exposure like a nitrile valve could.

Larger filter; if no issues using of any sort, and a clean engine in a Honda 4 cylinder...yeah, I could see using it for 20,000 if done within a year.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Another few weeks and I'll be at the 20K mark (1 year from install to removal).

Gotta post up some photos of that autopsy.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back