Wireless Display Android/Win 8.1 and Roku

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this last night playing more with the Android phone I just got. You can do 100% screen mirroring between Android or Windows 8.1 and a Roku 3 or Roku Stick.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/roku-screen-sharing-android-windows/

This really has the Amazon Fire TV Stick and Google Chromecast beat, in my opinion. It's a true MIRROR of your screen. You don't have to have a Fire- or Chromecast-enabled app running on your phone. Once you cast your screen to the Roku via the Wireless Display control in "Display" control panel in Android, what you see on your phone is what you see on your TV. Smartly, if you hold your phone in portrait mode, what you see on the screen is in portrait mode (with significant black voids on either side, because the correct display ratio is kept). Rotate your phone to landscape, and if the screen on your phone rotates to landscape, then the display on the TV rotates to landscape, and the entire screen is filled. Works great for casting pictures, or doing a quick Google Maps preview, etc. I didn't try watching a YouTube video from my phone with a mirrored screen. There may be some lag there.

I wouldn't really call this an "Easter Egg", because it is documented, but it was a nice little surprise.

That is nice for basic purposes like you describe. I wish the Chrome app for iOs added this function(my guess being worked).

Casting from a device though in my opinion still is not all there for video. It is very difficult to effectively stream 1080p video across a wifi connection in terms of bandwidth, processor, and battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back