Winter tires. Should I stud them or not???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: moto94536
I am already make up my mind. I am getting michelin xi3. I hope it will be out by nov in 245/65/17 size.

Based on what i have read about winter tire manufacturing, if its not available now, it won't be available in Nov. This years production run of the Xi3 is no doubt already complete.

Some people are under the false impression that studded tires tear up the pavement.

Also, if you spend a lot of time on dry pavement , they do have reduced performance.

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
If you're state allows it, and you buy a studdable winter tire, what is the point of not studding it?

Personal preference or local weather conditions.

If my commute were half a mile of back roads then 15 miles of well salted interstate, I'd skip the studs. At 65 MPH they drive me crazy.

Black ice is surprisingly fairly rare here and while I've tried studs on ice they aren't the panacea you expect if you hit some on a curve at speed.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
If you're state allows it, and you buy a studdable winter tire, what is the point of not studding it?

Ever driven over 100 miles on dry roads with studs day in, day out?

That is the reason for stud-able snow tires on my vehicle withOUT studs.

Originally Posted By: moto94536
I am already make up my mind. I am getting michelin xi3. I hope it will be out by nov in 245/65/17 size.

they dont even list that as a size being made yet.

it is a size in the latitude xice xi2

available now.

thats a larger truck/suv size so they wont be making it in their regular line If they follow normal sizing.

they will make it in their latitude series. When they start making those.

Last edited:
Buy a tire designed as studless. It'll be better on ice than a stud-free tire designed for studs. I've had sure traction on roads so icy that I couldn't walk on them. Of course, not equal to dry road traction, but good enough traction to drive safely. Consider the well polished snow surface at intersections to be the equal--or worse--than true ice.

Rule of thumb---the higher the speed rating of the winter tire, the poorer (or less good) the snow & ice traction. Also, buy the narrowest tire that is the standard, no-option, size for your vehicle. The narrower tire puts the same weight on fewer square inches of contact surface so that surface has more pounds per square inch of pressure.

I need a set of snow tires this year, and I'm considering either the new Michelins, Dunlop, or Bridgestone. Another rule of thumb...the newest tire on the market has the latest and greatest inventions for better grip and better wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back