Winter gas formula

How does it affect gas mileage? I've noticed a slight drop in mileage recently. I use premium mostly from Costco.

It's not just the gas formulation that can cause mileage differences. In the winter season cars take longer to get up to temperature and start operating more efficiently. Also some people idle their cars more either warming them up first thing in the morning, or while waiting for loved ones to come out of the store other establishment while they might stay in the car.

Think about your winter driving habits vs summer ones and see if there are also other things that you might be doing to use more fuel vs summer. Yes, I know that running the AC in the warmer months uses more gas, but the engines get up to temps quicker and become more themally efficient. One last thing as what has already been discussed here on BITOG.......if your car has a direct injection fuel system, fuel dilution will most likely happen more in winter vs summer......so make sure you change oil accordingly.

I don't know if it's the winter formula or just the cold weather, But I get crappy fuel milage during the winther. Normally I get about 410 miles per tank in spring/summer conditions. Winter I get about 360/375 miles per tank.

They save the more aoromatic compounds in the summer and blen in for the winter, to comply with evaporative emissions. But they have less btu’s.

But as noted, takes longer for car to warm up, tires less flexible (did you check them recently?).

Ironically my diesel did better in winter. No ac usage.

Last edited:
My gas mileage has started dropping this year already and I live in NC. We had a few very cold days recently but I kept my tire pressures up to spec.

The same thing happened last year and I never idle the vehicle. I keep the heat off until the coolant is up to operating temp on the gauge.

I just expect it during winter.

Cold weather reduces fuel economy for the following reasons:
- The engine is colder during warm up
- Temperatures of engine oil, transmission, and diff fluids are lower even after engine warm up, since they are not perfectly regulated
- The engine's pumping losses increase due to colder intake air temperatures
- Colder, denser air increases aerodynamic losses
- Rolling resistance of tires tends to increase at lower temperatures

These factors combined have a much larger effect than the fuel blend.

Ethanol is not as efficient for MPG's as gasoline is.
It's used in winter fuel to prevent freezing.

And that.......................................is the rest of the story.

Winter fuel blends with more volatile fractions do have a lower calorific value and that will impact on mpg by a few percent but the increased density of cold air producing higher aerodynamic drag is an even bigger factor. The last time I looked at this I concluded that at highway speeds, cold air could easily account for double the effect of winter fuel blends and that's in a moderate climate like the UK. Drag increases 7.3% when the temperature falls from 20 deg C to 0 deg C. If we are talking a bigger temperature swing from 20 deg C down to -10 Deg C then drag increases by 11.4 %. Now that won't translate directly to the same percentage drop in mpg because drag isn't the only consideration but you get the drift that it's potentially a big effect especially at higher speeds where drag losses dominate.

Ethanol is not as efficient for MPG's as gasoline is.
It's used in winter fuel to prevent freezing.

And that.......................................is the rest of the story.
Yes but... it has a higher flash point, thus it starts harder. That's why E85 has 15% gasoline, for cold starts, IIRC (might also make its flames burn with a color, want to say it's colorless, so a bit of a hazard there).

But yes, it's nice that it can hold water in suspension. I know years ago I had to add dry gas a couple of times, never since E10 became the norm. In a properly operating system with evaporative emissions controls, air does not get in willy-nilly, and now water in the gas isn't the problem it used to be.

Plus I thought E10 was used year 'round?

Winter blend is allowed by EPA for no better reason than that evaporative emissions are lower at lower ambient temperatures.
The fuel has higher RVP and lower caloric value than summer blend gas.
Temperature obviously has an impact as well.
All I know is that I see around a 10-20% reduction in fuel economy in January versus July.
Warm ups?
Well, fdcg27 ain't scraping the windows when the car can do it for me.

Back