windshield wiper on 93 Suburban

Status
Not open for further replies.
The windshield wiper on my Suburban does not always work. It may work for 30 minutes then stop. If I open the hood and give a knuckle rap on the switch box (this is the box that determines where across the windshield the wiper is in order to park it) it will start to work again. I opened the switch box and cleaned the moving contact a little with a wire brush and that seemed to help for awhile, but now its back to its old tricks. Maybe clean it again with some emery cloth instead?

I also see a wiper motor circuit board on EBAY for sale and they mention solder joints that break, so I wonder if thats my problem. I do not think that the wiper motor circuit board is part of the switch box with the moving contact. But if they are close on the firewall, a knuckle wrap to one could effect either.

Does it also not work on super high speed? My GM stuff bypasses the "brain" when switched on high. This would indict the motor itself or a bad ground etc.

99% chance of bad solder joints.
take the cover off and resolder the joints at the plug.
better yet resolder every joint.there arent many.

Or you can just get a new wiper module. That is your problem. Make sure yours wasn't one of the recalled ones before you buy a new one. Oh, the joys of ACDelco (Valeo in this case) sourcing their parts mfg. in Mexico!
mad.gif
Available at www.gmpartsdirect.com. I got one for my previous truck (1996 S-10) for 35 bucks including shipping.

I had the same problem a few years back on a '93 Suburban also. I replace the control board that's on the wiper motor (around 30 or so bucks from the dealer if I recall) and the wipers were perfect. Also, they didn't always park properly either, and that problem was also fixed with the new control board.

Quote:

99% chance of bad solder joints.
take the cover off and resolder the joints at the plug.
better yet resolder every joint.there arent many.

I did mine.... worked the balls. There is however a NTSB safety recall, (a small matter of not being able to see all of a sudden) search here: http://www.ntsb.gov/ I had done mine by the time it was issued.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back