Windshield Fluid Frozen - How to Defrost?

I recently bought a used motor home, and when checking fluids I found that the windshield fluid is frozen. I guess the previous owner didn't use the cold temperature type. I want to get the ice out of the reservoir so it doesn't break anything.

I have tried adding 91% isopropyl alcohol, and while it does melt some of the ice, it appears that it will take quite a bit of alcohol to melt all the ice. Short of waiting for warmer weather, so the ice will melt on it's own, any suggestions on how to melt the ice? Could I add rock salt, and then just flush the tank when warmer weather is here?

I considered running a heater out to the motor home, but there has been a rash of RV fires in recent days here in Utah, and I don't want to add to that statistic.

Let the engine run? underhood heat should help.

Got a stout extension cord? I wonder if a hot air gun would make quick work here. Maybe not on its highest setting, but something to help it go faster.

She can do it;

1640996300081.jpg

Let the engine run? underhood heat should help.

Got a stout extension cord? I wonder if a hot air gun would make quick work here. Maybe not on its highest setting, but something to help it go faster.
It is a pusher. Engine in the back. The washer fluid is in a storage locker right under the driver's feet.

Place a trouble light with a 60w incandescent light bulb under the wiper tank for a few hours that's what I've done on cars in the past. Just don't place it too close to anything it could melt. Melting it with a heat gun would also work.
Great idea. I've seen this method before, but didn't think of it this time. I did think of the heat gun, but didn't want to sit out there for half an hour holding a heat gun.

Remove the tank and take it inside.
That was what I tried first, but as cold as everything is, I didn't want to force and break anything. Cold is not a friend to most plastics. But with some of the suggestions mentioned here, I believe I can get the reservoir warm enough that I can detach it without fear of cracking it.

Why not pour a gallon of hot water into it? How cold has it been? Is it just a thin frozen layer on top or is it frozen solid. If the latter, it's already cracked.
Thanks. I think I'll try this first. So obvious, I don't know why I didn't think of it. I've used hot water for other tasks in the past.

I'd skip the hot water. If it doesn't work the ice cube in the fluid tank will be that much bigger. Put -40 wiper fluid in and wait a day for it to thaw out, or use the light bulb trick with the -40 fluid.

Warm from in the house -40 fluid that is.

Maybe boil some winter rated washer fluid, and pour it in. It will immediately melt the frozen stuff, and then mix in and be stable. Make sure you wash the pot you use to boil it as it is probably poison.

Or, move the car or the wiper fluid res. inside to thaw.

Boiled water would work but it's temp. and you'd have to drain it all out as it will freeze.

^ If you boil something that's half alcohol, the alcohol will evaporate off first, leaving you worse than you started with.
Exactly what I was thinking as I read that.... Pretty sure it's the alcohol content % that gives it the cold temperature rating and then it's gone.

That happened to my dads brand new Silverado when he got it years ago the first winter (and only a month after) buying it.
It split all the lines and most of the connectors from the tank to the wipers. :( Luckily they covered it all under warranty as the fluid in it was still what it had come with.
I'd bring the tank and lines inside that you can pull and let them thaw out. Or try a light in there for a while, but that will take a bit. Hopefully its not to bad....

When customers cam in with frozen washer tanks, it took hours to unthaw even with heat on them.

Best bet is to fill the remaining space with alcohol or the higest concewntration of winter washer fluid and wait it out. Whatever melts won't freeze again.

The newer tanks never cracked from the freezing, so there's that.

"Pack up and move to Florida" (a joke from The Honeymooners 1953)

If you're going the "add -40 fluid to the reservoir" route, just add 90% rubbing alcohol to the reservoir.
You'll have to seek out 90% alcohol as 70% is the usual.
It's stronger and has a lower freezing point.

The clip on light pointed at the reservoir is what I'd do first.

The boiling water worked great. I was able to get out all the ice, with only about 1/2" of water in the bottom of the reservoir. Filled it up with winter washer fluid.

Hopefully no damage to the tubing running from the tank to the wiper arms. I'll wave to wait for a warm spell to check that out.

Thanks for the suggestions. This is what is great about BITOG.

Back