Windows 8 isn't too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, ME was made of fail. It was built on the 95/98 core.
2000 was the "professional" OS and was built on the NT core. Same as XP, just an older variant.

Originally Posted By: Rand
dont you know you buy every OTHER release of windows
win98
skip ME/2000
XP
skip vista
windows7
skip win8

There is some truth to this. I emailed my brother yesterday (a computer programmer) to tell him that dad was fed up with his Win 8 tablet, and this is what he told me:

Quote:
I work with a guy who used to work for Microsoft. He said that Microsoft would put out "interim" releases of Windows for the sole intention of funding their next "real" release (read: Vista, ME and now perhaps 8).

Neighbor just bought a touch screen laptop with windows 8. Asked me to set it up.

WHAT COMPLETE JUNK!

I went into it thinking "OK. This is Microsoft's chance to woo me"

What a let down. The menu layout is a hassle. Nothing is logical.

The new internet explorer 10 is an even bigger pain. Why is their no tool bar? Why does the address bar the bottom disappear and you have to try to pull it back up after 3-5 failed attempts?

After figuring out how to get it a somewhat windows 7 appearance, I quickly downloaded Fire Fox, finished setting up their email toolbar, and ran like [censored] back to my Macs!!!!

I think it is telling that the best complement the OP could come up with was "isn't too bad".

I used all of the CPs and RC's I just cannot think of any description other than awful.

I downloaded the $40 upgrade last night and installed it over an existing Win 7 installation.

I've used a Windows 7 phone since they first came out, so the user interface was not all that new to me, although I had some doubts about how well it would translate to a non mobile device.

In short, I really like it - it's even better on a desktop than on a mobile device. I'm actually a bit shocked at how similar it is to the mobile platform - go to the app store and download the app for what you want to do, pin it to the start screen, and that's that.

The bleating about not being able to access the desktop, I mean, really, JOD is right on this ... just how hard is to hit the tile and bring up the desktop?

And why would you even want to? If it's something you use, just go to all apps and pin it to the start screen.

Will I upgrade my business computers to it? Haven't decided yet. They're a mix of XP and Vista and work fine at present. Not sure it's wise to fix something that not's broken when $$$ are involved. But for a phone, tablet, home computer, I think it's just great.

I see a change from my Windows 7.5 phone to a Windows 8 phone in the next week or so.

edit: As an aside, I was at Best Buy yesterday with the intention of buying my wife a new iPad to replace the original iPad I she has. But after playing with the Surface, and then looking at the new iPads, the iPad just totally blows. I can't imagine anyone wanting that tacky, static, user interface vice the dynamic and customizable Windows 8 interface. If she wants a new fruit toy, the cost is going to be on her. I'll buy her a Surface, but not another fruit pad or fruit phone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back