Wind Chill of -35 celsius!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wind chill. . . wind chill. I used to know what that was. Now I have to deal with trade winds. Today the trades are gusting to 15 mph and the temp should reach 80 F or so. Surf's up!

Quote:

Patman,
Maybe its time to get that badboy some tuneup. Better yet, replace it with a new corvette!!

I always make sure to keep it tuned up perfectly, so it seems that it must've just been some moisture in the fuel system which froze. I took it for a drive on my lunch hour and it ran perfectly. I filled it up with fresh Sunoco 94, and will add some gas line antifreeze to it as soon as I get the chance.

I will definitely be trading up to a newer Corvette someday, but at this point it now looks to be about 5 years away, unless a money tree pops up in my yard this summer.
smile.gif

Wind chill is used as a 'feel sorry' factor.
It is applicable to exposed skin, which is not an issue in the winter, as people don't run around nude much, then.
Also, wind chill REDUCES felt effects, if you are walking with the wind at certain speeds. It's a 50/50 chance, but remember the crybaby feel sorry factor.

Quote:

Quote:

I forgot to plug the HHR in last night.

Going to be fun starting it up later to take the wife to work and pick up the sway bar sitting at the post office.

If you're not going to drive it until later then why don't you just plug it in now?
smile.gif

Because that would have required me getting off my butt and going outside to plug it in
smile.gif

It did start "OK", but it wasn't impressed with the cold that's for sure.
laugh.gif

Certainly is nice having the factory installed remote start for days like this.

Quote:

I filled it up with fresh Sunoco 94, and will add some gas line antifreeze to it as soon as I get the chance.

Is it necessary to use gas line antifreeze when the Sunoco gas already has 10% ethanol (assuming you use Sunoco on a regular basis)?

Sorry to go OT here but if you are a dog owner or work outside a little, you will not make light of the matter. First and foremost, your face is exposed even with the trainrobber look and it burns. Exposed flesh will freeze in 30 min and it will burn even after you get home as it thaws. My fingers still felt cold last night with the gloves on. Its not fun and no one should make light of it. There are warnings put out via the Radio advising people not to get exposed. There is no place to hide with the wind blowing. Ofcourse, it depends on where you live... Folks living stateside probably wont understand. They are busy having a good time. Speaking of which, this weekend is looking a lot rosier.

Quote:

Quote:

I filled it up with fresh Sunoco 94, and will add some gas line antifreeze to it as soon as I get the chance.

Is it necessary to use gas line antifreeze when the Sunoco gas already has 10% ethanol (assuming you use Sunoco on a regular basis)?

I always use Sunoco in my Corvette, which is why I've also never added gas line antifreeze, since I figured the ethanol in their fuel was doing the job for me. But perhaps I got a bad batch of fuel? There has been a big shortage of fuel in Toronto in the past few weeks, with many stations completely out of fuel due to a refinery fine. So maybe the quality of the fuel that is available might be a little less than usual.
dunno.gif

With the fuel shortages of late it's hard to say whose gas you are really buying. I use either Shell or Sunoco.

The Shell station I normally buy from was closed for several days due to issues at their Montreal refinery, but none of the Sunoco stations here have been closed due to supply issues. Currently have regular Sunoco in the tank.

Here in Ottawa, the prices started dropping today after several days at 100.8 cents/litre for regular, so I would hazard to guess that the refineries in Montreal and Nanticoke are getting back to normal.

Quote:

Sorry to go OT here but if you are a dog owner or work outside a little, you will not make light of the matter. First and foremost, your face is exposed even with the trainrobber look and it burns. Exposed flesh will freeze in 30 min and it will burn even after you get home as it thaws. My fingers still felt cold last night with the gloves on. Its not fun and no one should make light of it. There are warnings put out via the Radio advising people not to get exposed. There is no place to hide with the wind blowing. Ofcourse, it depends on where you live... Folks living stateside probably wont understand. They are busy having a good time. Speaking of which, this weekend is looking a lot rosier.

Quit whining. It gets just as cold here in the states. You're not the first person in the world to have to work in sub-zero temps.
I'm not sure what you meant by your "folks living stateside probably won't understand" comment? I think we understand just fine around here..

OT: Patman, I thought you were specifically staying away from Sunoco due to the ethanol, poorer performance and fuel economy. So when and why the change?
dunno.gif

Quote:

OT: Patman, I thought you were specifically staying away from Sunoco due to the ethanol, poorer performance and fuel economy. So when and why the change?
dunno.gif

I've been staying away from Sunoco in my wife's car for those reasons, but I can't stay away from it in my Corvette since it's the only place in town to get 94 octane. If I were to run any other premium, the best I could get is 91 octane, and I'd have to get my car de-tuned and make less horsepower (with the current dyno tune it's got in there now, 94 octane is the absolute minimum I can run, in fact it really needs 95 or 96!), or put up with a heck of a lot of pinging in the lower rpms/higher gears. The odd time when I have put in 91 octane lately, I've immediately regretted it.

Hmm, because of the ethanol I have switched from Sunoco to Shell 91 with LC and get better power, performance and a cleaner tailpipe in my X3. No experience with the 850 yet....

Quote:

Hmm, because of the ethanol I have switched from Sunoco to Shell 91 with LC and get better power, performance and a cleaner tailpipe in my X3. No experience with the 850 yet....

As of Jan 1st of this year, it's mandated that all fuel in Ontario contains an average of 5% ethanol in it, so you're getting some ethanol in your fuel no matter which brand you choose now. Sunoco still has the most right now, but it won't be long until they all have 10%.

Its funny seeing people so excited about -35 C windchills. Its not nice, but its not that bad.

Also, while your face feels the cold of the -35C windchill, the oil in your car only sees the real temperature. So the pouring point etc. aren't of concern

Was at Shell yesterday (403/Dundas) and the pump was labelled:

Bronze (87) = up to 10% ethanol
Silver (89) = up to 5% ethanol
Gold (V-power 91) = NO ethanol

And I don't recall seeing this label before...although I usually never fillup at this location and the station was remodelled last summer.

If wind chill is only related to how cold it feels on the skin, why would a water pipe burst when cold air is blowing on it and doesn't burst when just exposed to cold temps? I've seen it happen more than once to homeowners in the north when temps are below zero and plugging holes to stop drafts seems to help.

Quote:

If wind chill is only related to how cold it feels on the skin, why would a water pipe burst when cold air is blowing on it and doesn't burst when just exposed to cold temps? I've seen it happen more than once to homeowners in the north when temps are below zero and plugging holes to stop drafts seems to help.

Wind chill relates to how fast material will cool in the wind. The more wind the faster the material will cool to the ambient temperature. Hense, a pipe could freeze in a wind because it cools faster not because it is colder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back