Winchester 1887 reproduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just pulled the trigger on a reproduction Winchester 1887.

1887RGBsm.png

http://www.iacshotguns.com/dev/87w.html

They make them up the road from me (not sure about G-Man's).

(If) it's a Lithgow, then they took some tips from the 1901 to improve them a tad.

Now you need a Harley, G-Man the terminator. A guy in the gun club I belong has one .They are pretty neat. I like to watch the Shotgun being fired.

Thats sweet, looks like lever gun fever has hit pandemic proportions around here!!
thumbsup2.gif

I had my gun shop order one of these for me today in 454 Casull

R9268016_1.jpg

34.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
They make them up the road from me (not sure about G-Man's).

(If) it's a Lithgow, then they took some tips from the 1901 to improve them a tad.

These are assembled in China from parts made in the U.S. and China. It really should be called a 12 ga. 1901 because that's what it is. The 1901 was an "improved" 1887 to shoot smokeless and it was only offered in 10 ga. When "Coyote Cap" was working with the Chinese in designing the prototypes of these they pressure tested it to +40,000 psi which locked up the action but the gun still did not blow up. Thus, this repro is more than capable of handling even the hottest modern factory loads, even 2-3/4 magnums.

cap&mangrs.jpg

compare.jpg

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
These are assembled in China from parts made in the U.S. and China. It really should be called a 12 ga. 1901 because that's what it is. The 1901 was an "improved" 1887 to shoot smokeless and it was only offered in 10 ga. When "Coyote Cap" was working with the Chinese in designing the prototypes of these they pressure tested it to +40,000 psi which locked up the action but the gun still did not blow up. Thus, this repro is more than capable of handling even the hottest modern factory loads, even 2-3/4 magnums.

Local version appears to be still born.

Well, it arrived today. When I inspected it at the dealer I could see that this was an early production gun, which concerned me, but it cycled smoothly and functioned properly, so I brought it home. Sprayed it down with Balistol to clean all the packing lube off and out of it. Wiped it down, scrubbed it out, cycled it a few more times. Smooth as silk. Cycled it one last time and noticed it was a little tight on closing and...whamo--she's locked up tight as a drum. Action won't open no matter what. It's frozen. Looks like what I read on the early production models with hit or miss quality is true--and I got a bad one. Once bitten, twice shy. I won't be pushing my luck with another one.

I called the dealer where I got it on GunBroker and they are issuing a UPS return pick up label.

That why I prefer to buy guns at the local shops. Its hit or miss with online purchases.

When buying a brand, call and email the company prior to purchase. See if they ever get back to you. Always start the email or answering machine message with "I'm having a problem with...." to see how they respond.

I won't buy from Interstate Arms after the 'issues' my local FFL had with them. Hope by now they've improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back