Win XP: Visual C++ Runtime Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dad's Win XP machine started throwing an error like below, except his is not pointing to IE but to an instant messaging app that he's been using for years. All of a sudden now he can't use it because as soon as he starts it, this message comes up and the app crashes.

Been googling for the past few hours and haven't yet come up with a solution. I tried reinstalling the app itself. I tried reinstalling Visual C++. The problem is still there.

I've read somewhere that it may be related to missing system files chewed up by a virus. I did some malware and virus scans on his PC, but did not find anything. Strangely, the free version of BitDefender that he's using wouldn't show me its logs, so I don't know if it quarantined something recently that may have been an infected system file.

Any ideas?

screenhunter0476us.jpg

Again, this is not a screen shot from his machine as I just lost access to it temporarily, but it's the exact same runtime error, just different application causing it.

I'm going to assume that you're using C++ 2010
You have corrupted C++

Look for the folder called VCRedist
Run the installer in the folder, vcredist_x86.exe
(I would have no idea what you did with the initial install and this folder could be almost anywhere, you can find it)

Follow the prompts and do the repair

If you continue having problems after this repair
run it again and choose the Remove prompt
This will uninstall C++ 2010 and next time you will have a clean install

Just remember. At this point nothing can go wrong (lol).

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

I'm going to assume that you're using C++ 2010
You have corrupted C++

Look for the folder called VCRedist
Run the installer in the folder, vcredist_x86.exe
(I would have no idea what you did with the initial install and this folder could be almost anywhere, you can find it)

Follow the prompts and do the repair

If you continue having problems after this repair
run it again and choose the Remove prompt
This will uninstall C++ 2010 and next time you will have a clean install

Just remember. At this point nothing can go wrong (lol).

He has C++ 2008, but as I noted, I already uninstalled and reinstalled it, and it made no difference. I used the vcredist_x86.exe to do it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What sfc command should I run?

sfc /scannow ?

Yes, sorry I didn't give more details.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Try uninstalling bitdefender and see if the error persists.

Right on! Thank you.

My mother's PC started having the same issue today. She's on Win7, but also running bitdefender.

Bitdefender seemed to have been the culprit. I uninstalled it and installed Avira free instead. The app in question works fine now. No errors.

Strangely, I've got two PCs of my own with the same app and running bitdefender, and no such issues. Weird.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What sfc command should I run?

sfc /scannow ?

Yes, sorry I didn't give more details.

No problem. Thanks. I ran it, and it found no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back