Will Napa Gold 1516 fit the Toyota 2.4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: H25B
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Back40
However, I will be switching to a standpipe filter next oil change.

I don't like the design of the standpipe filters as I believe it creates most of the oil flow to only go through the filter media next to the holed center tube area. Just my view.

IMHO the standpipe filters have something to offer when the filter screws on at an angle where the open end is lower than the dome end. On my 4.0L Toyo it's almost vertical, open end down. (Pics in this thread.) For me the standpipe is a very good thing and helps minimize dry starts. My oil pressure light goes out almost instantly, as fast or faster than it did with the OE mini-filter.
`

PureOne on the 4.0L V6 Tacoma. After it sits all night the oil pressure light goes off in 1~2 seconds with zero indication of a "dry start". When the filter is changed and bone dry, it takes 3~4 seconds for the oil pressure light to go out. So, as you can see, a good silicone ADBV does work well and IMO a standpipe center core isn't gaining you much if anything.

I don't like the design of the standpipe filters as I believe it creates most of the oil flow to only go through the filter media next to the holed center tube area. Just my view.

As the guy who's cut a few apart I can say that may be a valid concern with the Baldwin but not the Wix/Napa. I'm sure, in theory, there may be a minor difference when new but the second any stuff is trapped it'll flow very evenly (with the Wix).

The real question for Back40 is will the standpipe help on the 2.4L? What's the filter orientation? If it's 90 degree's or more it won't help IMHO. IMHO the standpipe filters have something to offer when the filter screws on at an angle where the open end is lower than the dome end. On my 4.0L Toyo it's almost vertical, open end down. (Pics in this thread.) For me the standpipe is a very good thing and helps minimize dry starts. My oil pressure light goes out almost instantly, as fast or faster than it did with the OE mini-filter.

River_Rat, in my 'standpipe thread' (linked above), made the suggestion of the Pure PL25230. It's a 1516 sized filter and it's considered a very good filter (for the price). They are readily available too. It has a silicone ADBV AND it has an anti-siphon valve. If the filter goes on to the block at a 90 degree angle that may be the "magic bullet" for the 2.4L and 10k intervals. It has a good amount of media and should resist drainout quite well.

I am looking at the standpipe filter switch for my 05 Taco 4.0L not the 2.4. Sorry I was not clear on that.

IMHO the standpipe filters have something to offer when the filter screws on at an angle where the open end is lower than the dome end. On my 4.0L Toyo it's almost vertical, open end down. (Pics in this thread.) For me the standpipe is a very good thing and helps minimize dry starts. My oil pressure light goes out almost instantly, as fast or faster than it did with the OE mini-filter.
`

PureOne on the 4.0L V6 Tacoma. After it sits all night the oil pressure light goes off in 1~2 seconds with zero indication of a "dry start". When the filter is changed and bone dry, it takes 3~4 seconds for the oil pressure light to go out. So, as you can see, a good silicone ADBV does work well and IMO a standpipe center core isn't gaining you much if anything.

I am also looking at the PL30001 as well as the M1-209 and M1-301 for my 05 Taco 4.0L. Thoughts?

I am also looking at the PL30001 as well as the M1-209 and M1-301 for my 05 Taco 4.0L. Thoughts?

Those filters are huge ... the largest you could run. Personally, I like the PL20195. Nice size and plenty large enough IMO.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Have you tried the 51516 on the Rav? I have yet to see anyone have an issue between the 2.7/2.8 vs. 2.5/2.4 gasket sizes. I mean, it may have happened, but I cannot recall an instance in all of my time here.

Thanks Gary for your help in selecting a oversize filter for my Toyota 4Runner. Today I swapped out the Fram Tough Guard "Tea Cup" and replaced it with the Napa Gold 1516....Perfect Fit.

Although I only had 4K miles on the Fram TG, I plan on running my current fill of Valvoline SynPower, with the Tuf Oil,for 8K miles. IMO...the half-way point is OK for this Fram TG since I did make a recent "High Speed", RT, 2K mile drive to FL and the ambiant temps were over 90 degrees F. I decided against tying to use the Napa Gold 1515 since there is no documented track record of anyone using this filther in a 3rd Generation 4 runner.

I appreciate your input and suggestions on size filter to use as well as all the great insight you have contributed to this forum.

Last edited:

I wanted that too. That's what got me to the standpipe filters. A few quick reads at the Toyota FJC forums (same engine/filter) revealed that the big filters may siphon/drain out. That's what pushed me down the standpipe road. I have a Napa1806 on there now with a little over 4k. It's awesome so far, no drainout issues even though it's a a full PL30001 size. I just picked up a Fleetgaurd LF701 for the next oil change.

Last edited:
Quote:
However, I will be switching to a standpipe filter next oil change. Do you see an problem with a 10K OCI for this type of driving?

Sorry, I missed this. Okay ..fuel enrichment is the leading loading factor for a filter ..generically/generally speaking. The only thing "severe" about city driving is that you can't measure usage well where you go nowhere fast. It's not particularly hard on oil or filters, it just has no bearings for indicating when to change it (fuel consumed would be a decent measure).

Moisture can play a factor, but as was stated, with enough at temp miles, that goes away and won't be accumulated. This doesn't seem to be your issue, but could be for some.

It's mainly that post fuel enrichment miles are typically hollow ..or at least many magnitudes lower in combustion byproduct production than enrichment miles. The filter has a given amount of holding capacity. You'll have the same fuel enrichment miles on any daily driver (which will naturally vary from chassis to chassis).

You leave for work every day. So does your neighbor. Both of you have the same vehicle ..same filter. You drive 25 miles. He drives 4. His ECM/PCM takes him out of fuel enrichment at the 3 mile mark. So does yours. You've both got the same loading (within some +/-). What he hasn't got is the 21 miles of low stress/loading that your filter sees. So he gets a 3 to 6 month OCI/FCI ..and you can go to 10k with confidence.

mongo: Maybe you'll try one of the 1515's on for size at a later date
cheers3.gif

Those filters are huge ... the largest you could run. Personally, I like the PL20195. Nice size and plenty large enough IMO.

Large enough for a 10k OCI?

lol.gif
under what conditions and time span?
lol.gif
6months ..2.5 years ..a decade? I know it was a long read ...but ..
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

lol.gif
under what conditions and time span?
lol.gif
6months ..2.5 years ..a decade? I know it was a long read ...but ..
lol.gif

9mths
27.gif
...then again considering how easy the filter is to access on the 4.0 I may just change it out @ 5k so I don't have to sweat it..
smirk2.gif

Last edited:

Yes, I think the PureOne PL20195 would be good for 10K OCIs. The 20195 is ~ 1" longer than the long Toyota filter. Are you using synthetic oil in your Tacoma? ... if so, I'm sure that engine doesn't produce much contamination either.

More important than the oil filter is the air filter and the seal of its plumbing. The oil filter really isn't worth much concern . Get a decent filter suited for the oci and be done with it . I had an 84 Toy p/u that I ran a 51515 size filter a 96 toy truck that I still have and the 2006 4 that I bounce between the 51515 an 51516 size due to the area to change the filter also I have run the motorcraft fl400 size filter. The 2006 always gets the 51515 size because it fits [lots of room]. I had a 92 toy v6 x cab p/u that was the love of my life truck that got rear ended and totalled , that truck always ran the oem size filter because there was just enough room for the filter and I never felt the filter size would cause a problem.

Yes, I think the PureOne PL20195 would be good for 10K OCIs. The 20195 is ~ 1" longer than the long Toyota filter. Are you using synthetic oil in your Tacoma? ... if so, I'm sure that engine doesn't produce much contamination either.

Running Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back