Will diesel become significantly more popular soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think diesel can become more popular if the cost is less to upgrade from the gas engine to the diesel engine. Emission issues are overblown in modern day (most recent generation) diesels I think.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: surfstar

Exactly the point. These cycles have occurred many times over past millennia. But guess what? There weren't a bunch of highly evolved apes running around, digging up long buried carbon stores and burning them. All around the globe, in massive scale.

Things that took millions of years to decay and compress into oil and gas; these carbon stores are now being released on the order of decades.

Yes we little humans can make a difference. We build tools and machines and lay waste to the land far more than any dinosaur ever could.

So what? What's the difference if the cycles will be happening more often than before? We will most likely be extinct before the next cooling cycle anyway, so I don't understand what's this huffing and puffing is all about. You want to save the oil for the next generation of apes or something?

ITS BECAUSE WE ARE NOW INFLUENCING, IF NOT DRIVING, THE CYCLES!!!

The cycles are going to go higher and lower than before. Out of bounds territory. Higher highs, lower lows. More extreme weather.

If you have any offspring, you should care.

Realistically, what harm does it [curbing climate change] do to your lifestyle? If there is the slightest chance that we are effing up the environment, why not spend a little more money and energy in order to limit that? If we're wrong, so what? The flip side, is if we're wrong, we have to colonize Mars b/c we completely [censored] up the Earth.

Why should we take that gamble? What is there to gain by sticking your head in the sand and saying "la,la,la" I don't see no issue here?

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Must be nice...
http://www.harrisburggasprices.com/Sam's_Club_Gas_Stations/Mechanicsburg/173394/index.aspx

Regular - $2.68
Diesel - $3.02

http://www.harrisburggasprices.com/Sheetz_Gas_Stations/Mechanicsburg/61097/index.aspx

Regular - $2.75
Diesel - $3.03

I'll take my Diesel-like Ecoboosts with all of the plusses and none of the downsides of a modern Diesel.

I wouldn't be so sure on all the pluses.

If anything turbocharger manufac. and their industry as a whole is having a field day.

Those little guys are spinning faster and faster operating at higher EGT's than a diesel would sans regen. Then there is motor oil. While new and taken care of by a competent owner I see no issues. However the goofs who give Jiffy Lube and Shady Mechanics $$$ are most likely not using the correct oil.

That can and will be a costly repair in the future especially considering the number that are DI with regards to deposits from oil flash off. Gasoline are also a lot higher stressed than the comparable diesel. A mechanical failure in a diesel on the lower engine is few and infrequent but on turbocharged gasoline engines it is almost expected.

So while there are pluses there are also quite a few minuses.

Don't take it as an insult to the technology I want more of it but there is always a catch.

Exactly the point. These cycles have occurred many times over past millennia. But guess what? There weren't a bunch of highly evolved apes running around, digging up long buried carbon stores and burning them. All around the globe, in massive scale.

And perhaps the Earth cannot sustain the 7.125 billion (as of 2013) that we have put here. That's another angle nobody wants to talk about. Sure easier to beat CO2 = bad drum rather than "stop procreating!"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

Those little guys are spinning faster and faster operating at higher EGT's than a diesel would sans regen. Then there is motor oil. While new and taken care of by a competent owner I see no issues. However the goofs who give Jiffy Lube and Shady Mechanics $$$ are most likely not using the correct oil.

That can and will be a costly repair in the future especially considering the number that are DI with regards to deposits from oil flash off. Gasoline are also a lot higher stressed than the comparable diesel. A mechanical failure in a diesel on the lower engine is few and infrequent but on turbocharged gasoline engines it is almost expected.

Don't take it as an insult to the technology I want more of it but there is always a catch.

Well, Ford has over 5 Million Ecoboosts out there since 2009 (http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/03/17/ford-ecoboost-milestone/24887671/) and turbo and general engine problems are far between.

I do nothing special to mine and at 90k it still runs like a top. I don't consciously idle it, change the oil when the OLM goes off, use the cheapest swill I can find, etc.

Turbos for the EB go for about $800 ea so while it could be expensive, it's less than a transmission.

Last edited:
You won't see more diesel engine vehicles that burn diesel fuel. What you WILL see is gasoline fueled vehicles that operate like a diesel, compression ignition engines like a diesel, but running on gasoline. Mazda has the engines in development and this is the next generation of their patented SkyActiv technology. Toyota is on-board with Mazda on this with a technology exchange agreement between the two of them already in place, and they are partnering on it's development. This new technology is supposed to provide a DRAMATIC gas mileage improvement, a sizeable hp per liter improvement, lower emissions, and no need for expensive and unreliable turbocharging (although turbocharging could still be used to further increase power output).
To me, this looks like a natural technological progression given the fact that most gasoline fuel engines on the market today have already gone to direct injection.

Last edited:

And perhaps the Earth cannot sustain the 7.125 billion (as of 2013) that we have put here. That's another angle nobody wants to talk about. Sure easier to beat CO2 = bad drum rather than "stop procreating!"

Good point on population. The world's population growth rate in the 1800's was about a half a percent a year. Since 1900 it has been relatively steady at a little over one percent a year. These annual percentage changes don't sound like a lot, but in the 15 years of the current century the world's population has increased by about one billion, from 6 billion and change to over 7 billion currently. One billion additional people is a lot of mouthes to feed and resources to be consumed. If this growth continues, there will be in excess of 16 billion people in the world by the end of this century. This growth rate can not go on forever.

Well, Ford has over 5 Million Ecoboosts out there since 2009 (http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/03/17/ford-ecoboost-milestone/24887671/) and turbo and general engine problems are far between.

I do nothing special to mine and at 90k it still runs like a top. I don't consciously idle it, change the oil when the OLM goes off, use the cheapest swill I can find, etc.

Turbos for the EB go for about $800 ea so while it could be expensive, it's less than a transmission.

I wouldn't advise using the cheapest swill, IMO. Synthetic in turbos and nothing else.

I don't idle mine either, watercooled turbo's don't really need it. I would follow the OLM just like you.

Don't worry the same stuff can go wrong on diesels too. If anything we are padding IHI, BW, Mitsu, stocks with all the turbo's these days lol.

In fact I see the 2.0l ecoboost uses a K03 just like older Jettas.

ITS BECAUSE WE ARE NOW INFLUENCING, IF NOT DRIVING, THE CYCLES!!!

The cycles are going to go higher and lower than before. Out of bounds territory. Higher highs, lower lows. More extreme weather.

If you have any offspring, you should care.

Realistically, what harm does it [curbing climate change] do to your lifestyle? If there is the slightest chance that we are effing up the environment, why not spend a little more money and energy in order to limit that? If we're wrong, so what? The flip side, is if we're wrong, we have to colonize Mars b/c we completely [censored] up the Earth.

Why should we take that gamble? What is there to gain by sticking your head in the sand and saying "la,la,la" I don't see no issue here?

The next cooling cycle is scheduled to be in around 15,000 years. So since we're talking long term here, perhaps we should also start worrying about our sun going supernova in few million years.
It will wipe out the whole Earth and most of our solar system, making all cooling/heating cycles look like vacation in paradise. I think we should start doing something about it now as well and spending some money on it now will be a good thing, right?
wink.gif

Yeah, lets start throwing money at something that is supposed to happen thousands of years from now and we could be wrong about it too boot. Sign me up!
crackmeup2.gif

I wouldn't advise using the cheapest swill, IMO. Synthetic in turbos and nothing else.

Whoops - guess I should have specified - cheapest swill gasoline. The oil is whatever the Ford dealer uses which should be fine. If I do it myself, it's Pennzoil Platinum.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Grr... I hate having to try to elaborate in so few characters in the title. Anyway, do you think diesel will become more popular in the US in the nearish (10-20 yrs) future? Does high percentage biodiesel work very well on modern engines with DEF and EGR and all that junk?

What do you think it'll take to get diesel to overtake gasoline? It's really hard to produce biogas, but extremely easy to produce biodiesel, so there's that. IMO it's just a matter of production.

Nope and here's why:

Passenger car cons: Expensive emissions systems (EGR/SCR/DPF/NOX sensors), Diesel fuel is not 'lady friendly' because spillage will ruin clothing and the pumps are almost always dirty.

Expensive to buy and fuel vs comparable gas model so the payback period can be as high as 100k miles. Diesel historically has always been slightly higher in price than regular octane gas.

Also spark-free compression gas engines are in development.

Whoops - guess I should have specified - cheapest swill gasoline. The oil is whatever the Ford dealer uses which should be fine. If I do it myself, it's Pennzoil Platinum.

O ya lol

If I am around Top Tier, I'll use it. If I know a certain gas station sells [censored] fuel, I'll avoid it otherwise I am just like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back